Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

We need Charlie to be Super Charlie and a big show from Cotters.
We are up to it. Up to any team really.
It comes down to sustained intensity and want.

Bring the pressure and it'll be a 50/50 game.
We out pressured Melbourne and GWS for the majority of the game, and won.
We didn't against Crows, Cats and Pies...and the result was reversed, we deserved to lose those games. Voss' job is simply to keep us on the boil, which isn't easy to sustain. It's got nothing to do with a few missing players, just like the second half of last season.

Bring the pressure and it'll be a 50/50 game.
We out pressured Melbourne and GWS for the majority of the game, and won.
We didn't against Crows, Cats and Pies...and the result was reversed, we deserved to lose those games. Voss' job is simply to keep us on the boil, which isn't easy to sustain. It's got nothing to do with a few missing players, just like the second half of last season.

Fair to say our issues are above the shoulders.

We clearly have the talent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd give Binns another go. He had a taste then went back to VFL knowing there's work to do. He'd be primed for another crack this week.

Playing where though? He is a Winger and we have Acres & Hollands supported by Cottrell

I’m keen for Binns to play but it needs to be the role he is best suited otherwise we aren’t doing him or us any good

Rest him. Pitto's effectiveness tapers right off when he's not 100%.
Can't carry any passengers this week, we don't have a good history vs. Sydney at home.
I think we've won twice in 15 years.
Twice in 30 years, if we're glass half-empty (which seems prudent, at the SCG). 2-0-15 against Sydney there, in that time. Our problem is kicking a score - any kind of score at all. We average 66 points since 1993, and if you go to the last 10 years as a bit more representative of the 'modern' AFL, it drops to 62 points.

Our average losing margin is seven goals (irrespective of whether you pick a 30-year or 10-year window), but that's a bit distorted by a few last-round floggings when they were finals-bound and we were nowhere - it's usually closer than that.

Last time out, Curnow and McKay combined for 1.6 (and Charlie kicked a couple out on the full too, I think), which just killed us when the final scoreline was 11.11 to 6.15. This week's 23 might not be quite as good 'on paper' as Round 11 last year, but we are playing better, for sure:

Out: Cerra, E Curnow, Docherty, Motlop, Saad, Pittonet?
In: Cincotta, Cowan, E Hollands, Martin, another couple of fit bodies

I think it is winnable, especially with Sydney returning from Perth for a Friday night game this week. But we'll need get it right with ball in hand. In fact, a lot will need to go right. De Koning will need to play out of his skin, if he is the sole ruckman (although I do think this is the way to go).

We’ve got wingers coming out of our ears….,

is it worth trialling Binns as a small forward?

I think it be useful to see who in our current squad can fill positions of need before bringing a new person.

Our current smalls are Motlop and durdin - I don’t see owies as a “small forward”. He is more a lead up forward.

Our smalls need to be lightning fast and have ability to snap off one step.

Motlop is already good and should get better but I can’t say the same about Durdin. He has the physical traits but a really poor understanding of how he needs to position himself.

A player like Binns would be worth trialling as a small forward imo.

I'd give Binns another go. He had a taste then went back to VFL knowing there's work to do. He'd be primed for another crack this week.
I know Ollie has been struggling but he is a far less risky option than Binns. Away interstate against the ladder leader. This is not the week for Binns to play.

Playing where though? He is a Winger and we have Acres & Hollands supported by Cottrell

I’m keen for Binns to play but it needs to be the role he is best suited otherwise we aren’t doing him or us any good

Agreed. He’d have to play wing against Gulden or McInerney, both of whom have huge motors and are given license to provide overlap run they used to cut the dockers to pieces the other night (whilst the likes of Adams and Jordon cover for them).

So you’d be putting a lot of faith in essentially a first gamer to firstly be able to run with either of those blokes, and, probably more worryingly, make sure he can pick critical defensive handovers as these two blokes run through.

Is Binns the new Paddy Dow?

Hollands holds his spot after last game efforts....

But I'd like Binns to get a proper run sooner than later.

Essentially the same size as Hollands, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Same height same weight and smashed it in the twos yesterday. Would be ok with him coming in for Ollie.

Think the club should have a look at him in the ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve got wingers coming out of our ears….,

is it worth trialling Binns as a small forward?

I think it be useful to see who in our current squad can fill positions of need before bringing a new person.

Our current smalls are Motlop and durdin - I don’t see owies as a “small forward”. He is more a lead up forward.

Our smalls need to be lightning fast and have ability to snap off one step.

Motlop is already good and should get better but I can’t say the same about Durdin. He has the physical traits but a really poor understanding of how he needs to position himself.

A player like Binns would be worth trialling as a small forward imo.

I think you need to have ‘tricks’ to play as a small forward,have a look at all the good/elite ones in the afl.Not sure if Binns fits in this category,I see him more as a wingman who can get up and down the ground.

Be surprised if Pitto plays. Hand injury not good I’m told

Pfft.

Bob Chitty had his hand cut off to the wrist, stuck it together with fishguts & old Sporting Globes, then fronted for a final.

That’s what my grandad used to tell me.😎👍

Pfft.

Bob Chitty had his hand cut off to the wrist, stuck it together with fishguts & old Sporting Globes, then fronted for a final.

That’s what my grandad used to tell me.

Got 8 weeks in the Bloodbath.

Probably be banned for life if he was playing today.

Agree 100%. rock vs hard place
We beat the dees due to 5 goals from centre clearance. Maybe they were not all from Pitto but 2 rucks are powerful. If we had a better transission game, you might not have to play Pitto but his 15+ possession games including the odd goal are hardly a liability. There is actually an arguement to be made NO PITTO. NO CARLTON

We're paying the price for a high ladder finish last year, of course - and we've been unlucky in some ways. Sadly, our "softest" run has probably already been and gone (Rounds 1-5 including bye... and we didn't even win them all). Otherwise, as you say, it's the last three rounds... hopefully we're not too far off the pace by then!

Top six: We did get three duplicated opponents (Collingwood, Port and GWS), whereas some of our peers only got two. That sucks, but what also sucks is our run with the singles - we got both Brisbane AND Sydney away, when ideally one of those would have been a home game. At least they're both out of the way by mid-May. Obviously Port will be very tough over there.

Bottom six: Bit of a square-up here, in fairness to the AFL. Our two duplicated opponents (noting that some of our peers only got one) are Richmond and North, which is about as good as we could have hoped for, the way 2024 is turning out. Banking the two remaining wins there will help us a lot, and keeps our travel down.

Middle six: We only have one duplicated opponent, but to cop Geelong was nasty for us - the only way it could have been worse would have been if their home game was at GMHBA. I think we had a minor win getting Fremantle for Gather Round (even though we're good in Perth). But that was the least the AFL could do, after shafting us last year!
I like being match hardened by a hard draw and left in no doubt as to our relative position to the best in the competition. When Cincotta says in my 2nd season, I am used to big games, the experience of a hard draw for EHollands, Cowan, etc is valuable for finals

They both got disposals off, but Gawn was doing better on the outside/around the ground. Pittonet was playing hot potato like most of our inside mids, just not as good at it.

I think we can do a lot better, and I think with our current ruck stocks we also need to accept that we're not going to dominate the hitout wins most matches and strategise accordingly.

I have noticed, but he's not going to drop his cultural beliefs, and nor should he have to. There is a mild argument for what you're saying, but if that's the issue it's also fixable without doing so.

I look at them in terms of the structural weaknesses they create. They are far from alone in that regard, but even when everyone's making the right decisions, that isn't as easily papered over as that of others. I can respect that they are hard working professionals, but I see a premiership winning team as one that's unlikely to have one or both of them.

Kennedy would do well in a different team/system that needs a 2nd or 3rd clearance mid, and this off-season would be the time to make that deal IMO.

But right now - assuming Cerra is fit - we should probably be looking at Carroll ahead of Kennedy for the dynamic play and versatility, just as we should have been looking at Dow sooner last year.
Most of the Year Kennedy has played utility- Back, fwd, ruck, sub, with runs on ball. He has essentially replaced JSOS

Sydney in Sydney - tough gig. They will bring the pressure. And we know Voss, McCrae have said we haven't handled it that well this year.

Our best is good enough. Their best is very good.

Although he didn't get much of it, the impact of Martin was there for all to see. Great mark/goal. Crashing packs. Blocking for his team-mates. Makes a big difference.

McGovern makes a big difference to our back half with his athleticism and great foot skills.

As Vossy says - our structures/game plan look just that little better when our best players are out there.

Have to plan to be without Pitto and Cerra, with Williams the only injured player possibly available. Unfortunately, I can't see Motlop or Saad back for at least another 2 weeks (from the reports out of the club - not hearsay/side whispers etc).

Durdin stays in for team balance. Not in form, but Vossy likes his

Could see us bringing in two runners, to combat Sydney's spread. Harry to help out in the ruck.

Need a defensive forward to man up on Blakey, who has killed us the last couple of times.

Cincotta gets the job on Papley after his shut-down job on Pickett.

OUTS
Pitto
Cerra

INS
Hewett
Williams
SUB: Jack Carroll or Binns

Go blues!!

I think you need to have ‘tricks’ to play as a small forward,have a look at all the good/elite ones in the afl.Not sure if Binns fits in this category,I see him more as a wingman who can get up and down the ground.

There is capacity for players to learn new roles - it happens all the time.

Then there are rare cases like Owies who switch codes and play an effective role - in our case with a potential top 4 side.

Not sure Durdin has the tricks you're talking about either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back