Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Thanks for the great discussions on your board regarding the game. Just one thing I notice gets mentioned multiple times. The ground size. I added a pic that shows the SCG is 5m shorter than the mcg which is nothing. And wider than docklands. So the contested game doesn't really alter. I think the cameras are lower so it looks tiny but it isn't. Hope it's a close game
1715725619059.png
Problem is it's shaped like this with different distances from the centre circle to the boundaries. In order to get the full "oval" dimensions & similar/even distances between centre circle & all boundaries they have to cut areas & make the distance between fences & boundaries irregular/uneven - ie: 1 x wing may have a couple more metres between fence & boundary line. Over the whole ground that may take for example another 3-4 metres from the total surface leaving the "playing section" at 145-150 metres which is why there's less room between the arcs & the centre square compared to the MCG etc.

To those wanting Binns to get a run, I'm a bit concerned playing Ollie and Binns in the same team at this stage. They're both going to be easily getting shrugged off and bumped out of contests. Against the Swans this will hurt us.

Ollie to keep his spot, Binns while he had a great game at VFL level, can continue to develop there.

Think Binns suited to coming in the next week v GCoast. Mind you he played well up there last year in 2’s. MC interesting on this. Think will depend on outs. Pitto?(patch him up and go again if poss., rest next week)

Cincotta MUST stay in

Williams, if to play, should be HF with some mid rotation. Not backline 1-on-1’s

Go hard, all out for the win on this one

View attachment 1989338
Problem is it's shaped like this with different distances from the centre circle to the boundaries. In order to get the full "oval" dimensions & similar/even distances between centre circle & all boundaries they have to cut areas & make the distance between fences & boundaries irregular/uneven - ie: 1 x wing may have a couple more metres between fence & boundary line. Over the whole ground that may take for example another 3-4 metres from the total surface leaving the "playing section" at 145-150 metres which is why there's less room between the arcs & the centre square compared to the MCG etc.
A bit off topic but one thing I love about Aussie Rules is the different oval sizes but it is certainly quite quirky. Imagine if a basketball team just decided their 3 point line was going to be 2 metres further out and their court 5 metres longer?

Blues always match up well against us. Who replaces Cerra in the midfield? Kennedy/Cripps spending more time in the mids?

Glad to see Walsh back in some form, he's a jet. I can't believe Nic Newman is still kicking it around, he's become a reliable player for your team. Good to see.

Blues always match up well against us. Who replaces Cerra in the midfield? Kennedy/Cripps spending more time in the mids?

Glad to see Walsh back in some form, he's a jet. I can't believe Nic Newman is still kicking it around, he's become a reliable player for your team. Good to see.
Newy in last few seasons much better than just reliable.

He is an absolute GUN........Tough, brave, durable and a great kick.

An integral part of our defense, hope he has few years left.

Thanks Swannies and next year Hayward? :think:

Last edited:

Kennedy more time in the middle, George Hewett into the 22 and then maybe Jack Carroll sub as another rotation

View attachment 1989338
What an odd-shaped ground.....

Strategy is interesting - there's a definite "wide side". Do we use it for the boundary route?

Compress Sydney on their "short" side?

Swans will obviously know the geometry inside and out to use it to their advantage!

Really interesting (to me at least haha)

What an odd-shaped ground.....

Strategy is interesting - there's a definite "wide side". Do we use it for the boundary route?

Compress Sydney on their "short" side?

Swans will obviously know the geometry inside and out to use it to their advantage!

Really interesting (to me at least haha)
I think the way they work it is that the boundary on the "wider side" is pulled back towards the centre of the ground a shade to attempt to even up the wings. Don't really know if there is an actual wider side per'se as on TV they look even when they show the overhead shots etc.. but again all just assumption as I cant find any info on the AFL set up for the ground re: distances from circle to AFL boundary lines. I just found it really interesting

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh we are. And generally, many of us like Swannies too. Good team.
I bought a Swannies beanie a couple of years ago when I was up in Sydney and went and saw them smash the Dogs. It's my guilty little secret. I like to put it on occasionally when the Swannies beat any of my mates teams just to annoy them. Great team to watch.

Out: Cerra, Cottrell, Williams
In: Carroll (sub), Binns, Marchbank

I'd be having Ollie play Cottrell's position. Binns on the wing, time to see what the kid has got.

For a Victorian club I actually quite like Carlton so if you guys end up winning the premiership in the next few years I won't be too upset (unless it is against us).

I just hope you guys don't turn out to be like Richmond fans, who turned out to be the worst. I had no idea they were that bad when they were s**t, but when their team became good they became insufferable. Hopefully Carlton fans are better :)
Carlton supporters will be relieved, not insufferable, when we win a flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back