Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I very poor final 15 mins in the second quarter and start of the third but they dug in and turned the game. That sort of grit is what can win flags. But to just give it up again in the last was really poor.

It was a terrible display and we just can't sustain four quarters of effort and intensity. I'm just hoping getting our best players back turns it around but we just aren't deep enough as a club yet.

I'm still hopeful but our depth is our biggest weakness.

45 points against from stoppage. 16th over the season. The way Walsh and co disrespect their opponents at stoppages is hurting us. Or did daicos have 17 contested and 7 clearances because hes just better than Walsh and Walsh did pay attention to his man? I think it's far more likely that Walsh (and others) are either see ball get ball and overcommitting numbers or cheating expecting someone else to win it before they've won it. Don't care 'that we had to win the ball' Would've won the ball back if he's there to tackle daicos or win the ground ball. Instead of collapsing in where we already have numbers.
Erm...Walsh had 33, 14 contested and 8.

Walsh is the one mid I would give license to, but he still works hard both ways.

We have structural issues. We lack pace comparitively speaking, we have a sameness about our midfield, we give too many cheap turnovers, and our bottom 4-5 are poor.

Sam Walsh is not a problem.

Big moments win these games.

Durdin kicks the set shot last week, we run away and win.

Harry finds a target when we're on the forward surge, we run away and win.

Gotta get over that hump.

I think we spent our luck late last year and early this year, can’t be relying on stuff like that to get us over the line.

We have spent the majority of most of games this year behind.

Daicos brothers kicked our arses

Kid is bloody good as much as I hate to say it :shoutyoldman:

He's got that Pendlebury gift of always seemingly being able to find a way out of trouble. I was hoping one of our players would nail him cold HTB all night, but didn't happen. Just so slippery and appears to have 360 vision.

I just heard a comment that we make football look so hard. That is so true. The opposition always seem to make it look easier to score, even when we win.

As soon as we beat GWS and people starting talking up our flag credentials, we have come out and played two of the most disappointing games. I hope they didn't buy into that, but fear some did.

With expectation comes great heartbreak and my heart is sick of this.

Even then we have lost by 13 points and 6 points.

Pies and Cats still more seasoned than us. Long season though.

He's got that Pendlebury gift of always seemingly being able to find a way out of trouble. I was hoping one of our players would nail him cold HTB all night, but didn't happen. Just so slippery and appears to have 360 vision.
You can't. Just throws his head back and gets the free. Even if you've got him by the waist.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just heard a comment that we make football look so hard. That is so true. The opposition always seem to make it look easier to score, even when we win.
They play to something that resembles a system - ie what they do is intentional - its planned

In a lot of cases ours is based on a lot of mindless kicking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong game was an even better example of that imo. Effort per goal ratio for us vs them felt like the highest I have ever seen in a game of AFL.

I can only pencil in maybe 11 wins from here unless substantial improvement occurs.
That’s 4th if last year. Not sure it’s enough this year.
I think you’re right.

I’d worry about making finals first.

Lots of decent sides in the comp, we look to be one of many, we need to play better than we have so far this season to even be a finalist.

I think we can, but that’s the reality.

Looked forward to the cliche from our club about we really let the supporters down tonight, say it often enough it becomes mind set.
It shows me we really don't have any mettle at our club, we are just all talk.

We aren't winning a flag this year. We need more pieces. We are two years away at best IMO, and we won't have the best age profile compared to some during this whole time.

"Jobu... I go to you. I stick up for you. And you no help me now... I say * you Jobu. I do it myself."

Throw him a breaking ball.

I’d worry about making finals first.

Lots of decent sides in the comp, we look to be one of many, we need to play better than we have so far this season to even be a finalist.

I think we can, but that’s the reality.
This.

At the start of the year, I actually disagreed with everyone's predictions and thought we would just miss finals, forcing Voss to realize that the gameplan and list balance has some big problems that need addressing.

I know we've got a big injury list but I'm still leaning towards that outcome being a strong possibility, although we have matched it closely with some of the best, so I hope I'm wrong.

Small positive, I thought Cincotta did a very good job on Hill for the most part.

Don't want to kick Williams while he's down but you want your senior players to be a lot more dependable than what he's currently bringing.

Not sure he was 100% this week v cats or pies, considering he was playing good footy before HT v GWS.

Back