Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Durds so far has shown very little to show he is good anywhere to be fair.

Still young. But what is he actually elite or even good at?
Fair point, but before he started becoming a little injury prone, we were giving him minutes up through the middle of the ground which he was looking fairly comfortable with imo.
Maybe it’s something we could look at? But it may have to start off looking at it in the twos.

We were 4.5/8.5 last year, 5/5 isn’t season over times.

It isn’t over till it’s over.
2022 Geelong were 5/4 with some ordinary losses against some pretty poor sides.

We’ve narrowly lost the last 2 games against the last two premiers by a combined 19 points.

Perspective.

I watched replay I don't understand how we let Pendles play retro round in the middle. He was best for them for me..
the handball turnovers were a killer with the way pies pressure as a collective ring and release laterally
Voss seemed very controlled in his presser and I like that he noted we had lots of nothing possessions ..
Onward and upward really think saad with his coverage is the guy we really miss he and weiters are our best defenders and give us direction in back half although last night was lost between the arcs

I’d play Cerra on a wing. Kennedy into middle

Any of Fantasia Cuningham Durdin Young should be dropped IMO
Cuners first game back probably won’t get dropped.

Minimum changes I’d like to see.

In: Kemp, McG if available.
Out: Young, Durdin.

Sub: Cowan - Kennedy starting 22!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd replace Hewett with Kennedy. Hewett, has been getting a ton of disposals, but has no hurt factor, and got caught out from behind multiple times with no awareness.

I like Hewett but he is so SLOW. Can we carry Hewett and Cripps in same midfield?

We really miss Docherty and I hope we use Hollands Martin & Motlop through there

We had Cripps, Weitering, Hewett , Newman, Cerra, Acres, Williams, Harry, Charlie, Walsh, Kennedy… plenty of experienced players.

On top of that we dropped 4 less experienced players like Ollie, Binns, Carroll and Kemp. Lack of experienced players wasn’t the issue last night.
It's a contributing factor in particularly and backline

Still stings. I’m still upset by the attitude of a lot of players. Almost like they got told some home truths during the week and were sulking.

This week work on tackling, pressure and skills. Let them play on instinct because we have to live with the IQ levels of the team we have.
Just out of interest who do you think were the players sulking? I assume Charlie is one you are alluding to, but who else?

This is a bit extreme, his first game back after missing quite a few games, he's going to need a couple of weeks to find his feet again. The same goes for others who will be returning in the coming weeks. Not everybody is at a Sam Walsh level in that regard.
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh… I just noticed his handballs tended to be high, loopy, slow and resulted in putting receivers under more pressure.

Anyway - two days’ less prep, key players missing, inability to adjust to increased pressure after quarter time, and we still only lose by a goal to the reigning premiers. It’s not quite s**t the bed time.

This was a bad loss. Worst for the season. Got the jump on them and let them back into the contest.

I'm a Vossy fan but he was totally outcoached. Firstly, going with very little outside run was not a great strategy. McRae had them well prepared and I thought they stifled our mids and we had no response.

We all know that Vossy's strength lies in people management and he isn't tactically great. Why did we not get more help for him in that regard inthe off season? Did we feel we didn't need to after we turned things around last season or could we not find anyone suitable who was willing to come across?

It is clear we do not get anywhere near enough out of our small forwards. Orazio 1 kick. Durds had what half a dozen to go with zero tackles! No defensive pressure and not getting the footy. I do worry about Durds. Yes he is young. Yes he has had some injuries but far from convinced he'll be better than average long term (I'd take average over what he is dishing up at the moment). Still, he has 2 years at least to get it right. Orazio should not be in the team and there was no thought put into this weeks selection.

I still thought we'd win but when I saw the teams I was a little more worried. Orazio cannot play again unless he totally dominates in the VFL for weeks on end and absolutley demands to be picked.

I like Zac W. It is hard coming back from ACL after he missed most of 2022 with his achilles so trying to cut him a bit of slack, but he needs to lift big time. With Saad and Gov out in particular, he really needed to step up and show some leadership. He has failed dismally unfortunately.

Fail to see the logic in playing Kennedy as a sub. He either plays or he doesn't. Was a poor decision by the match committe.

I absolutely love Sam Walsh and I keep saying injury permitting he will retire an all time great of the game, but that was one of the worst 30+ possession games I've seen in my life. Hewett's was probably the second worst 30 possession I've seen.

Our captain is a champion but when the game was there to be won, he went missing too. When that happens, not many step up. Until others do, we're not going to fullfill our potential.

Yes we have players to come good. Quality players. Important players. However, the reality is most of them have a proven history of getting injured. Time for others to put their hand up.

I know Collingwood didn't kick a huge score, but we are getting scored against far too easily at the moment. When we went on our run last year, we were hard to score against. What has gone wrong between then and now?

Got till Thursday night to fix it up cos our season (from top 4 and genuine premiership threat perspective) is starting to slip away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan. Good size. Quick. Accountable. Disciplined.

Would play him every week, with Boyd, Newman, Weiters, McGovern and Saad. Williams has been ordinary this year, but will hopefully find some form. Cowan/Kemp as the 7th defender, depending on matchups.

I also think Cowan should be played the remainder of the year.
yes and yes

For all the discussion around tactics and game plan it’s so hard to judge when there is a lack of effort.

What I would like to know is why we never try something different in a game to spark a reaction?

And WHY did we not try and shutdown N.Daicos? It was obvious to everyone at the ground he was on early. I don’t get it
Would have loved to give Boyd the job
Has more speed than Hewett, would get (by extension) some minutes at centre bounces so we can see if he has midfield potential, has a defensive mindset and finally, might get on a couple of disposals forward of centre and provide more accurate I50 delivery
But let's not upset all the systems, structures and magnet positions that we worked on all summer and are now bearing fruit :rolleyes:

We have lost 3 games by an aggregate 21 points. 2 of those against the last 2 premiers.

While.Playing.Inconsistent.Football.
Come on mate, you just can't keep coming back to this thread to post in a rational and reasonable manner, at least not while we are in the mood to tear everything apart ;)

We need more of:

Sack Voss
Sack the assistants
Sack the leaders
Sack Russell
Sack Austin
Sack Lloyd
Sack Cookie
Sack Sayers
Sack the board

I'm sure there's more too.

Please Be Better :p