Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just arrived home from last nights game (stayed down overnight) and a few thoughts:

We re-set defensively but may have tweaked it a bit too much the other way and didn't get much drive from defence as a result. This was always likely when we had Young, Cowan and Cincotta playing down back. Not a criticism of Cowan and Cincotta who did their job (Cowan progressing nicely) just how it was.

Lack of run from defence wouldn't have hurt so much but we surprisingly lost at clearances. TDK is becoming more of a threat up forward but there are too many times where he doesn't get near the tap at centre bounces allowing the opposition clear clearances.

We had the bigger threats up forward but they had more threats. We need to have more than 5 goal kickers.

Please, please. please no more with the three small forwards with 2 at least having no impact. Fantasia has to at least take the limited chances that he gets. Hopefully he can do that in the reserves next week. Personally I would have one of the smalls as the sub and Kennedy starting but at worst I would have had Kennedy on at half time. It was the type of game wg
here toughness at the contest was more important than imaginary crumbing.

Ideally McGovern, Saad and maybe Marchbank come into the team down back for Young, Cowan and Cincotta

Ideally Martin and Fogarty come into the team up forward for Durdin and Fantasia.

It sounds like at least McGovern , Martin and Marchbank might be good to go next week based on Vossy's presser so a few non contributors can state their future claims in the reserves.

Just out of interest who do you think were the players sulking? I assume Charlie is one you are alluding to, but who else?
Mental attitude and application for quite a few who didn’t give 100%. Charlie definitely an obvious component with lots of lacklustre efforts and back to the ball slowly jogging. I’ve got a 3-4 others I could mention but would get bombarded due to their reverence on the board.

Nothing about last night taught me anything new about us. We still have the same flaws as we have for the last couple of years.

For me is we lack avenues towards goal and we lack good delivery inside 50. We don't have many natural goal kickers inside 50 and have 0 goal kicking midfielders. The inside 50 IQ across the team is poor.

Another was we are too dependent on contest and when we don't have that we don't have much else. We had the intercept rebound game across the first month but decided to prioritise the contested clearance game and it hasn't really worked out. Pittonet has played well and our clearance game has lifted massively but it hasn't resulted in wins - in fact based on the scoreboard it has set us back.

I had a lot of discussions with Carlton people over the pre season. Many felt that if we get our best 22 on the park we can challenge. If we lose a few we will really struggle against good sides. I disagreed and felt we had some depth to cover. I was WRONG

The difference between our best 25 and the rest is massive

If you replace

Cuningham with Docherty
Durdin with Martin
Fantasia with Motlop
Cowan with Saad
Young with McGovern
Fogarty for Cottrell
Silvagni in

The difference in standard and consistent effort is a Flag IMO

The continued poor results of our Reserves proves it

Last edited:
I would like to know WTF is Voss doing with Kennedy?

Had a great pre season, is fit and running well. He has good hands, tough and a good ball user. Yet, is played third forward or HB and this week Sub. Just NUTS

Play him in the middle and let him play his best role. We will be much better for it
100%. I thought making Kennedy sub was the dumbest move before the game even started.

One of our better inside midfielders who has footy nous and uses the ball well. Having Kennedy at the centre bounce providing support and sharing the inside work with Cripps is what we need - allows the likes of Walsh, Cerra etc to play the outside role and deliver the ball forward.

I assume it was Voss’ call and if so it was dumb.

I would like to know WTF is Voss doing with Kennedy?

Had a great pre season, is fit and running well. He has good hands, tough and a good ball user. Yet, is played third forward or HB and this week Sub. Just NUTS

Play him in the middle and let him play his best role. We will be much better for it

Middle :heavycheck:
3rd forward/small forward :heavycheck:
half back :heavycheck:

That sub decision was INSANE last night

Swap Kennedy with either Fantasia or Durdin and we could've even pinched it last night
Coaching $%^& negligence

Nothing about last night taught me anything new about us. We still have the same flaws as we have for the last couple of years.

For me is we lack avenues towards goal and we lack good delivery inside 50. We don't have many natural goal kickers inside 50 and have 0 goal kicking midfielders. The inside 50 IQ across the team is poor.

Another was we are too dependent on contest and when we don't have that we don't have much else. We had the intercept rebound game across the first month but decided to prioritise the contested clearance game and it hasn't really worked out. Pittonet has played well and our clearance game has lifted massively but it hasn't resulted in wins - in fact based on the scoreboard it has set us back.
Is it possible that our intercept rebound game all but disappeared when Saad and McGovern got injured? Williams has had his struggles as well. Cowan and Cincotta did their jobs last night but there job is to nullify their opponents. You can hear the gears click in Youngs head when he receives the footy and you know it's going to be a slow sideways kick.

For me it's more about who we have rather than just a drop off.

100%. I thought making Kennedy sub was the dumbest move before the game even started.

One of our better inside midfielders who has footy nous and uses the ball well. Having Kennedy at the centre bounce providing support and sharing the inside work with Cripps is what we need - allows the likes of Walsh, Cerra etc to play the outside role and deliver the ball forward.

I assume it was Voss’ call and if so it was dumb.
Yeh it is, unfathomable

We have lost 3 games by an aggregate 21 points. 2 of those against the last 2 premiers.

While.Playing.Inconsistent.Football.

In the cool light of day was thinking the same thing.

Daicos kicks the goal - sack the coach, gut the list.

Newman gets a touch on Daicos's kick and it's a behind - Blues for the flag, Voss a genius

Is it possible that our intercept rebound game all but disappeared when Saad and McGovern got injured? Williams has had his struggles as well. Cowan and Cincotta did their jobs last night but there job is to nullify their opponents. You can hear the gears click in Youngs head when he receives the footy and you know it's going to be a slow sideways kick.

It dropped off before their injuries. As soon as we started winning the clearance battles the intercepts fell away - then the injuries occurred which compounded things.

We have lost 3 games by an aggregate 21 points. 2 of those against the last 2 premiers.

While.Playing.Inconsistent.Football.
What point are you making? That we’re the best side in the league that will soon hit our straps and dominate the competition?

That’s possible, but until it happens legitimate questions can be asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lack composure and cohesion at the moment, the players we are missing have an effect on our structures across every line. Those who claim that personnel not available at the moment isn't an issue are kidding themselves.
And it will take a few games to get cohesion back even when they are back in. Cerra is case in point- not that poor yesterday but still well below his usual output

As far as Williams goes I think that he has played with a lot of trepidation over the past few weeks.

I think a lot of that has to do with McGovern and Saad not being there alongside him.

With them there he is able to play the game more on his own terms. In their absence he has needed to step up and play a slightly different role. Coming back off his injury I just don't think that he's been capable of doing that.

Maybe he needs a spell to help him regain some confidence in the reserves but having the other two back would see him playing in a different manner IMO.

And it will take a few games to get cohesion back even when they are back in. Cerra is case in point- not that poor yesterday but still well below his usual output
100%, we are going to need to be patient for a few weeks.

As far as Williams goes I think that he has played with a lot of trepidation over the past few weeks.

I think a lot of that has to do with McGovern and Saad not being there alongside him.

With them there he is able to play the game more on his own terms. In their absence he has needed to step up and play a slightly different role. Coming back off his injury I just don't think that he's been capable of doing that.

Maybe he needs a spell to help him regain some confidence in the reserves but having the other to back would see him playing at a different manner IMO.
Good insight gab…

It dropped off before their injuries. As soon as we started winning the clearance battles the intercepts fell away - then the injuries occurred which compounded things.
Not really. They both happened in the Crows game at which time we were undefeated. Marc Pittonet played his first game for the season that day. Saad was off the ground by half time.

Voss spoke of McGovern, Martin and Marchbank being available next week. I for one can’t wait for mcg and Martin to be bottle back in the side. Improve us so much.

Just glad that Mitch listened to my advice on Friday when I saw at Ikon Park car park- “get those hammies right Mitch” he laughed and said “yeah ok mate”. Should I put my hand up to be Russel’s assistant? I can demonstrate successfully rehabilitation of elite sportsmen..

Voss spoke of McGovern, Martin and Marchbank being available next week. I for one can’t wait for mcg and Martin to be bottle back in the side. Improve us so much.

Just glad that Mitch listened to my advice on Friday when I saw at Ikon Park car park- “get those hammies right Mitch” he laughed and said “yeah ok mate”. Should I put my hand up to be Russel’s assistant? I can demonstrate successfully rehabilitation of elite sportsmen..
you couldnt do any worse :p

Back