Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

I think we sometimes expect humans to not be human. Any single side- Pies, any one, is going to freeze up a bit in these circumstances:
  • need to win else 5/4 and lose 3 in a row
  • nearly put them away repeatedly…..but don’t wuite
1 get 19 up with only 4 mins left and then a fluke goal occurs

There wasn’t any real choking. We just went SAVE and that always gives all the momentum and energy to the oppo. When a side HAS to throw caution to the wind and you just sit back and try and soak it up it fuels the problem.

No one ran ahead to receive at any point in the last. The demons knew we went into save mode and it really emboldened them to attack because there was no danger.

Take that few minutes out of the game and we would all be talking Premierships.

The analysis post game in here was truly terrible.

I can guarantee your commentary would be very different if we’d lost it, and you would be lying if you responded to this post saying anything different

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's a medium forward in a small forwards body.

He's not a great crumbing small, but he's very good at finding space and leading into dangerous areas. He Matt Wright esque in that way.

I think criticism of him comes from that he's not a crumber and doesn't really sit at the feet of the bigs well, which as a small is a fair flaw. But he is very good at being a crafty type of forward who lays good pressure, so the criticism is unfair given his other strengths.
And he kicked one from 45m on thursday - and it carried easily!

I think we sometimes expect humans to not be human. Any single side- Pies, any one, is going to freeze up a bit in these circumstances:
  • need to win else 5/4 and lose 3 in a row
  • nearly put them away repeatedly…..but don’t wuite
1 get 19 up with only 4 mins left and then a fluke goal occurs

There wasn’t any real choking. We just went SAVE and that always gives all the momentum and energy to the oppo. When a side HAS to throw caution to the wind and you just sit back and try and soak it up it fuels the problem.

No one ran ahead to receive at any point in the last. The demons knew we went into save mode and it really emboldened them to attack because there was no danger.

Take that few minutes out of the game and we would all be talking Premierships.

The analysis post game in here was truly terrible.
100%.

Those still bleating need to rewatch H2, at least.

With 9.58 left in the game, we led by 26 points.

Owies has separated himself from the clutch of smalls by hitting the scoreboard. It has surprised me, because to my eyes he doesn't look to have AFL small forward attributes. I don't see him as particularly fast, a great crumber, nor a fanatical forward pressure type - and he has no "magic" to create something from nothing.

BUT... dammit... he kicks goals. He presents on the lead well and is probably our most reliable set shot for goal

I'd really like to see him develop a little more physical presence - just hit a little harder/lay more tackles and get better at halving marking contests instead of being out-marked.

But there's room for a guy that bobs up and kicks plenty of goals, that's for sure! He's well and truly in the side for good, or until someone takes his place. He played well last night, for sure.
Owies showed last year he is a capable forward who consistently hits the scoreboard, kicking goals in 16 of 18 games - including 3 goals in 2 games and 2 goals in 7 games.

IMG_2223.png

I forgot about Matty Wright, he went alright. I think at some point he and Owies coalesced in my mind into one player :drunk: They do have some similarities.

It is not disrespectful. It is an opinion. Cripps is not quite as good as Williams, Judd, Kouta, Ashman and Johnston.
If you took Cripps out and put any of the above in the middle at their best, I would suggest, we would be a better side.
Has Ashman well and truly covered. Ashie was 2 nd in B&f twice and was 3 Rd in the Brownlow where he should have won. Loved him as a player but not on The same level.

Same with Kouta one truly amazing year but not on the level for consistancy

Interesting trend developing right throughout the league this season;

We ran both Brisbane and GWS down after being a long way down to win

Geelong almost ran Port down after being 49 points down

Melbourne almost ran us down after we were 38 points up

Coliingwood drew with Essendon after Essendon had a substantial lead early

Essendon with a 42 point turn around after being 22 points down today..

Collingwood were 31 points down against Port before ultimately winning by 42

It used to be 2-3 goals but now 5-6 goals can be scored very quickly with 6-6 rule and stand rule - which is good provided it’s not us on the receiving end !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owies showed last year he is a capable forward who consistently hits the scoreboard, kicking goals in 16 of 18 games - including 3 goals in 2 games and 2 goals in 7 games.

View attachment 1986731

He does score regularly.

He has 14 goals so far this year which puts him in very good company.

Looking at his attributes it is surprising but he has always shown high IQ in finding space, he has improved the depth of his kicks too so gets better return for his efforts.

I keep thinking he is holding his spot until……….. but if he keeps kicking goals it’s hard to ignore his value.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cincotta and Boyd give us so many options when Saad comes back. I trust both against ANY small. Boyd can actually play above his height. Bet they even contemplate one of them on Hayward this week.
Thought Cincotta was good last year and good again this year...was really surprised to see Cowan come in before he did.

Big bodied, fast and has a booming kick on him. Has the pace to go with guys like Pickett but has the advantage of being bigger...really want him to stay in the team.

Six Points: AFL must act on Cameron concussion farce, 2024's best game, and the end of days arrives in Victoria

3. Brodie Kemp didn’t dive​

Let’s get two things straight right off the bat.

One: the dangerous tackle free kick given to Brodie Kemp against Jacob van Rooyen on Thursday night was a shocker, one born of the league’s desperation to eliminate all head knocks without thinking of the consequences of their tactics as much as it was umpire error.....

Two: Kemp did not, as has been widely suggested in both the media and among the fans, take a dive to win that dangerous tackle free. Brian Taylor’s assessment in the immediate aftermath was both over-the-top and completely wrong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One: It wasn't a shocker - it was a marginal call.
Two: BT should be sacked. Would love to see the club take a stand on this and ban him from access to club room & players.

I've never spoken to or seen anyone in person/online actually defend BT's calling. Everyone hates it. How do they not know this. Him and Brayshaw. Thank heck for SEN sync.

*Ha. When BF start replacing swear words? I've never written "heck" in my life.

1) Key to beating the Dees? Lock up Lever​

Jake Lever was arguably best afield in Melbourne's breakthrough win against Geelong in round eight, but faced with a much taller forward line on Thursday night, he was forced to focus on trying to nullify the 204cm Tom De Koning. Given the aerial threat De Koning posed, particularly as a linking player on the wing, Lever seemed reluctant to peel off and give him much latitude, meaning his marking game wasn't at full force. While the Dees interceptor was able to work his way back into the game late on, it was the early jump of Carlton that sewed up the win for the Blues, a time when Lever was being out-pointed by De Koning. Other teams would have taken note.

What a take... exactly how many teams have a quality 200+cm "third tall"??

And it wasn't just TDK... Martin and Durdin worked Lever over as well...

I forgot about Matty Wright, he went alright. I think at some point he and Owies coalesced in my mind into one player :drunk: They do have some similarities.

Matthew Wright, Carlton leading goalkicker in 2016 with 22 goals.

How times have changed.

Not his fault, would have been a very good forward in a better team.

Has Ashman well and truly covered. Ashie was 2 nd in B&f twice and was 3 Rd in the Brownlow where he should have won. Loved him as a player but not on The same level.

Same with Kouta one truly amazing year but not on the level for consistancy
Ashman was the best player in our best team 81/82. Don't worry about BNFs
Kouta best in 95,96,99 finals. Elite 2000/2001. Kouta at his best is better than Cripps.

Ashman was the best player in our best team 81/82. Don't worry about BNFs
Kouta best in 95,96,99 finals. Elite 2000/2001. Kouta at his best is better than Cripps.

Yeah, Ashman was the best of our midfield group in that amazing era. Ask all the boys from that group and they would agree.

Ashman was top top top tier.

Ashman was the best player in our best team 81/82. Don't worry about BNFs Kouta best in 95,96,99 finals. Elite 2000/2001. Kouta at his best is better than Cripps.
I guess is personal opinion but I’ve always felt Doull, Harmes and Hunter were the best players of that 81/82 era. Great defensively and the launch pad for so many attacking plays into our forward line.

I guess is personal opinion but I’ve always felt Doull, Harmes and Hunter were the best players of that 81/82 era. Great defensively and the launch pad for so many attacking plays into our forward line.
There were so many great players running around in those years that it's difficult to pick out a 'best'. at least it is for me.

Back