FB: L.Ryan A.Pearce T.Stewart
HB: L.Whitfield S.May N.Daicos
C: E.Gulden P.Cripps J.Kelly
HF: I.Heeney H.McKay J.Cameron
FF: B.Fritsch J.Hogan J.Waterman
R: M.Gawn (VC) Z.Merrett (C) C.Serong
Int: J.Lever Z.Butters M.Rowell C.Curnow

Backline a impossible:

Taylor and Weitering unlucky due to games missed. Both deserve to be there. Harris Andrews been good as well.

Whitfield over blakey. Just. Better numbers.

Holmes. Z.Guthrie. Martin. McGrath. Zorko. Clark. Vlastuin all worthy as well

Mids:
Surprised josh Kelly not in more teams. Kicked 10 goals this season. Been elite.
The likes of green, Rozee, yeo and Anderson all unlucky.

Fwds:
Does it need a genuine small forward? Stengle, pickett and rankine the 3..can’t decide, so I went for Waterman. Could probably replace Curnow with Waterman and select a genuine small but how do you leave the player leading the coleman out?

Coleman medalist has been left out of the AA team before. Definitely need a small forward.

People definitely sleeping on Kelly. He’s been massive and I don’t see him in any teams.

Thoughts??

Backline a impossible:

Taylor and Weitering unlucky due to games missed. Both deserve to be there. Harris Andrews been good as well.

Mids:
Surprised josh Kelly not in more teams. Kicked 10 goals this season. Been elite.

Fwds:
Does it need a genuine small forward? Stengle, pickett and rankine the 3..can’t decide, so I went for Waterman. Could probably replace Curnow with Waterman and select a genuine small but how do you leave the player leading the coleman out?

That's probably the hardest position to determine right now, have to let more of the year play out. Being biased Miers has been outstanding but he is more of a playmaker rather than a goalkicker.

IMO three tall forwards and two medium forwards is too tall.

lol he’s had a good year but captain is LOL. Maybe if he stopped abusing his own team mates.
Yeh I do wish he’d stop doing that - it’s ok with Lever because Jake just gives it back to him and they get on with it.

I don’t think it’s a good look though.

He could definitely be in the discussion for Captain this year though, although so could about 15 other players I guess.

Ryan and Pearce are the two best defenders by coaches votes

I don't dispute that they should be in the rolling side, however coaches votes are inherently flawed because:

1. Not all 10 vote games are equal eg a clear BOG dominant player in a big win and a more controversial coaches BOG in an even game are both worth 10 votes
2. Coaches have their favourites too and certain coaches reward role players that did their bit
3. After only eight rounds, it would also be heavily dependent on the draw so far - coaches votes may be a more worthwhile consideration once every team has played each other

I don't dispute that they should be in the rolling side, however coaches votes are inherently flawed because:

1. Not all 10 vote games are equal eg a clear BOG dominant player in a big win and a more controversial coaches BOG in an even game are both worth 10 votes
2. Coaches have their favourites too and certain coaches reward role players that did their bit
3. After only eight rounds, it would also be heavily dependent on the draw so far - coaches votes may be a more worthwhile consideration once every team has played each other
All good when I was championing freo players last year people kept debating me with coaches votes I don’t give them much credence when Pav Fyfe cousins cox Kerr have none between them.
Because of the blow back I’ve given them more credence but seems I cant win either way!

This is more a complaint about how stats are done in the AFL but I really wish on footywire or on the AFL website we had an option of filtering wins and losses for player stats. I would be fascinated to see which players drop off the most when their team loses compared to win their team wins.

I think the best players are able to maintain their stats and ability to impact games when their team is down, but the show pony players are only able to do it when their team is on top.

I would love to be able to filter

Wins - 3 goals or more
Matches which are 3 goals either way (so close games)
Losses - 3 goals or more

and compare the stats of players, see who stands up when it is needed, and who only stands up when the team is already on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won, but thought Trac was bog.
21 & 5 is a pretty special game. Will be one of/if not best individual games of the year

Had been quiet the previous couple of weeks too

Thoughts??

Backline a impossible:

Mids:

Fwds:

there is no way McGrath is not starting in the back pocket at the moment. And also no way Weitering misses.

Apart from that its decent enough.

Last edited:
If he keeps up this form for the rest of the year would he be in the team? He did miss a LOT of football.
Yes he has to be in my opinion! He has been as good as anyone in the games he has played. He missed 4 or 5 games? He hasn’t played a bad game in a long time with last years final series(which I know has nothing to do with this.) Stiff competition with Merrett Heeney Serong all locks atm but by seasons end he will be competing for the last couple of spots.

Btw apart from the game he got injured in round 19 last year- last time Sam Walsh had under 20 possesions was round 9 in 2020.

Zach Guthrie is a serious player nowadays. Has to be in the squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back