VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s really pleasing as Ollie has shown very little previously

Hotton's last 2 games have been very good, if he could get more of the ball when in the midfield he could be a really important player. He deserves a game next week.

The penny might have dropped for Max Heath he has had two very good games in a row and is finally starting to show we thought he might have been capable of.

Best: Membrey, Crouch, Jones, Paton, Hotton, Heath and Cordy.

Jones was everywhere in the first half but had a quiter 2nd half.

Clark had plenty of touches but too often it is a quick kick out of congestion, but he runs like he is wearing gum boots between contests. He would be slowest midfielder in the entire AFL, again if he could run he would be a super star. Is a depth player only IMO.

Phillipou has a long long way to go to becoming a midfielder at any level. He just doesnt drive with his legs out of any contests and is another Saint who cant read or react quick enough to the fall of the ball. Its a real issue for our entire list TBH, they dont like taking on the tackler and cant dispose of the ball well when pressured.

The remainder of the Saints list did well all contributing at times. They missed Garcia's zip and tackling at ground level at times.

Last edited:
Agree completely with that summary.

Best features of Heath’s game are his competitiveness and tackling (reminds me a bit of another Sandi ruckman/ forward now playing good footy for Sydney.His kicking is still below afl standard, but yes, a sharp improvement.

Kicked an early goal, 8 disposals and contributed without a big influence. Really back to what he had delivered always not much.
I think that’s telling. A random bag of goals can happen with luck, it would seem to be the case with Hotton today too. Neither player has shown consistency to merit senior selection.

I think that’s telling. A random bag of goals can happen with luck, it would seem to be the case with Hotton today too. Neither player has shown consistency to merit senior selection.

Hotton has 2 good games in a row and is just starting to get a run at it injury wise. Collard keeps getting games when he has the physique and game of a 12yo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A question for anyone who watched the game on Keeler and Ari who played as CHB and who was on a flank

Hotton had a back injury to begin with, stiff? then little niggles thereafter. Still believe in his talent. And he's more nuggety than I knew.
Spoke to him at training a couple of weeks ago. He said he had played less than 10 games since being drafted, was very frustrated but was really looking forward to playing.
Has got two good games under his belt. Saw 3 of his 5 goals in the highlights and were typical midfield goals. I bet he feels excited tonight.
Something positive in a bleak season.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

A question for anyone who watched the game on Keeler and Ari who played as CHB and who was on a flank

Keelers opponent today Jefferson kicked 5 goals, he was servicable but not his best game. Shoenmaker started the game slowly but progressed as the game went on. There is no doubt he is a sensational kick but he needs to work on his contested marking and defensive game still.

As I mentioned in the AFL autopsy thread the entire list would benefit in having a marking coach. Its something that needs improvement right across our list. Have a look at our entire coaching group there is not one individual who played as a key marking player or as a ruckman, its an obvious void in the skill set in our coaches. As is forward ball movement and play which was also evident in the Sandringham game. We are really reticent to kick to a leading forward consequently the forwards dont lead and our forward 50 entries become far too predictable.

Lyon and co can implememnt all the game plans and structures they want, but if there players cant maintain possession its all for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back