List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge pushing for a priority pick at the top of the draft for Norf on SEN earlier FFS 🙄

In response to a text “Saints have played in GFs and finals recently”.

It’s not all doom and gloom IMO.
The kids we have are great and they’re getting mass games under their belts atm, a lot even got a taste of finals last year.

The reason we’re nowhere near a flag is we have limited talent in the 24-28 age range (prime of career). So it’s a waiting game really. Probably 2-3 years off - not such a bad thing because we can hit the draft hard with decent picks right up until Tassie Hijack the draft.
Because of this - I would trade anyone older than Max King for picks if someone came with a decent offer, and I’d not spend our war chest on anyone older than 24.
Have faith in Ross too, remember last time he joined the Saints we were horrible for a season or two before he got all the ducks in line - that ‘ugly game’ against hawthorn comes to mind.
Have faith and patience, we’ve already waited lifetimes so what’s another couple of years.
I swear that when I was reading your post Gav I honestly though it was one my posts. Finally someone who 100% agrees with me.🥂 I have been advocating this for so long but unfortunately the club will not do this because they are too stubborn. They don't think long term. All they are interested is the short term. As I posted the other day, if at the end of this year I could convert Sincs, Steele, and Ro into picks better than pick 12 I would do it. Take all 3 picks plus our own FRDP to the draft and grab 4 young guns to add to our already great looking Core under the age of Max King. We would probably regress further next year but it wouldn't bother me because we would be building the Core group. If we don't do this we will forever stay in no-mans land. Not bad enough to get top 5 picks but never good enough to challenge for a flag. There is no point finishing between fifth and tenth every year. Not in my book anyway....

I swear that when I was reading your post Gav I honestly though it was one my posts. Finally someone who 100% agrees with me.🥂 I have been advocating this for so long but unfortunately the club will not do this because they are too stubborn. They don't think long term. All they are interested is the short term. As I posted the other day, if at the end of this year I could convert Sincs, Steele, and Ro into picks better than pick 12 I would do it. Take all 3 picks plus our own FRDP to the draft and grab 4 young guns to add to our already great looking Core under the age of Max King. We would probably regress further next year but it wouldn't bother me because we would be building the Core group. If we don't do this we will forever stay in no-mans land. Not bad enough to get top 5 picks but never good enough to challenge for a flag. There is no point finishing between fifth and tenth every year. Not in my book anyway....

How many of the senior guys would you be willing to part with at once? Because for the development of our kids we can't ship out all our senior blokes, maybe 1-2 max.

Why can't we be like Sydney or Geelong and remain competitive while re-building?

I think the club is taking a long term view for the first time in a decade or more to be honest. We made some hard calls last off season and will do that again. At the same time we don't want to become like North or Gold Coast who are seemingly forever rebuilding and unable to develop the talent they have because they lack senior blokes and leaders to guide the way.

How many of the senior guys would you be willing to part with at once? Because for the development of our kids we can't ship out all our senior blokes, maybe 1-2 max.

Why can't we be like Sydney or Geelong and remain competitive while re-building?

I think the club is taking a long term view for the first time in a decade or more to be honest. We made some hard calls last off season and will do that again. At the same time we don't want to become like North or Gold Coast who are seemingly forever rebuilding and unable to develop the talent they have because they lack senior blokes and leaders to guide the way.
Similar to port letting go Ryder and Dougal.
Pies Grundy and Treloar.

Obviously if we let someone like Ro go we would have to know exactly who we want to draft, can't be just taking the best available in that situation.

It's a midfielder's draft so hopefully there are a few future Walsh, cerra, LDU's about.

Can't be taking flankers or wanna be mids, need bonafide A grade junior mids.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. As I said, providing we got pick 12 or better for each of the 3 players I mentioned I would do it. The likelihood of that happening in one offseason would be remote though....but you never know.

2. I'll give you 1 guess why Sydney is always up there. It's the same reason why Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS will be permanently up there from now on unless they change the rules for their A@#%#*%#s.

3. Geelong have been blessed over many years with Father sons plus they are the only Vic team with a real Home ground advantage.

4. If we were to trade Sincs and Steele for FRDP's (better than say pick 12), I do not believe we would become like North and it would enable us to add to our young Core. Trading Marshall would be dangerous because we wouldn't have anyone else but it would force us to start playing Keeler and or Heath which might be a good thing. We have SOS, Gubby and Dalrymple so give them plenty of FRDP's so they can work their magic.

So who’s going to play in the ruck? And don’t say Keeler or Heath as neither are at the quality to play ruck or play consistent ruck time in the VFL let alone AFL

i think you mustve been on saintsational and they dropped you, and now youre on here. thankfully, there is an ignore button, and im going to use it.

In fairness this is a forum of discussion and it’s an interesting and contrasting view to many, myself included. But I have to admit that the poster certainly makes some good points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade out all established senior players for draft picks . Let’s just draft kids and play them.
How is that working out for North exactly? and Hawthorn ?

This last year of drafting success was the exception to the rule.
I’m not convinced we’ve turned the corner and suddenly become drafting geniuses because we’ve “put processes in place “ - especially since we just let go some of the main personnel associated with our most recent draft success. Let’s see if we can nail draft picks for 2 or 3 years in a row before we start claiming success, and get cocky about trading established players for untried kids in the draft.

By the way - I have no issue with trading players for picks that are then used to pry out under appreciated talent from another club.

i think you mustve been on saintsational and they dropped you, and now youre on here. thankfully, there is an ignore button, and im going to use it.
Quite. Well said...

2014 Elimination Final

"SEVENTEEN devastating minutes.

That's all it took for Port Adelaide to impose itself on the finals and send a warning to the rest of the competition that it is not playing in September just to make up the numbers.

The Power produced one of the most dominant early blitzes in AFL finals history to bring the Richmond juggernaut to a screaming halt in front of a sellout 50,618 crowd at Adelaide Oval yesterday.

Capitalising on Tigers skipper Trent Cotchin's baffling decision to kick into a strong wind in the opening term, Port set the scene for a 57-point finals flogging by goaling after just 77 seconds through key forward Justin Westhoff.

Producing its best football since its stunning 10-1 start to the season, Port followed Westhoff's quickfire opener with goals in the fourth, eighth, ninth, 14th, 15th and 17th minutes to lead by 43 points, 7.1 to 0.0, before Richmond could settle.

It kicked 8.1 in the first quarter — just nine points fewer than the best opening term in an elimination final in AFL history of 9.4 by Fitzroy against Essendon in 1979."

9thmond eh. Remember the jokes? Remember how they should have gotten rid of their senior players after that debacle? Remember how they kept them though?

Let's stay a journey and see where it takes us. They were in this position. Really only a peak Dusty different for us. We don't have one today. Will we in 2027? If we keep tipping out senior players then we might get one and won't see that potential rise to its level because he will have to be the cake and the cream. Stay this course. North and Hawks are in rebuild hell.

In fairness this is a forum of discussion and it’s an interesting and contrasting view to many, myself included. But I have to admit that the poster certainly makes some good points.
Gutting the senior core was done at Melbourne and Norff and ruiened them for years and the only way they got or will get out of it is with huge gifted concessions which we will never get.
It makes sense only through the lens that seniors are only worth a list spot and have no other intrinsic value. Which is poppycock.
We have a bunch of very good players that will bleed for the club. They are the foundations of whatever future we have this decade weather we make it or not.

Pies Grundy and Treloar.

Obviously if we let someone like Ro go we would have to know exactly who we want to draft, can't be just taking the best available in that situation.

It's a midfielder's draft so hopefully there are a few future Walsh, cerra, LDU's about.

This is why I suggested the Row trade, because I know exactly who I'd want at the top of the order. Sid Draper should be available at pick 5-10 and he plays so much like Butters - elite foot skills, elite agility, fast and high accumulation. Then theres Christian Moraes for the 10-15 range who is a pretty similar player to Draper except he hits the scoreboard and is probably more outside and more of a ball carrier like McCluggage.

If we can get a top 5 pick then Finn O'Sullivan would be so perfect as a Sam Walsh clone (he is also Sam Walsh's cousin) as a mid who just runs all day and creates attacks. His score involvements would be through the roof.

Along with our own FRDP, the two gained via Row would give us access to at least two of those guys, and probably another x-factor small forward to pair with Collard later in the first round like Ricky Mentha who is clean below the knees, electric fast and a mature size too.

Looking at the out of contract players (according to footywire), these are some of the players I think we should take a look at and won’t necessarily cost us too much.

Lachie Sholl - Adelaide
Reef McInnes - Collingwood
Harrison Jones - Essendon
Ned Moyle - Gold Coast
Changkuoth Jiath - Hawthorn
Bailey Scott - North Melbourne

I’m sure there’s more but all of them could improve our side in the short and long term

Looking at the out of contract players (according to footywire), these are some of the players I think we should take a look at and won’t necessarily cost us too much.

Lachie Sholl - Adelaide
Ned Moyle - Gold Coast

I’m sure there’s more but all of them could improve our side in the short and long term
Moyle the only desirable one.

Sholl is way too slow and doesn't work hard enough. We're better off with Byrnes than him.
McInnes probably won't leave but he'd be competing with Owens for a spot...
Jones won't leave, Essendon will sign him up soon after his good start to the season.
Jiath would be okay but hes so injury-prone and not worth the investment when we have Hastie in a similar mould.
Scott is a turnover merchant, Byrnes is much better.

Pies Grundy and Treloar.

they let Dougal go because they had no position for him, PA didn't want him back, probably for the same reasons most want him gone, tried playing him fwd, but he didn't like it, so they shipped him out. Drafted at pick 56

Lachie Sholl - Adelaide
Ned Moyle - Gold Coast

I’d be looking at players who aren’t getting the game time they might think they deserve. Fin Macrae, Sam Wicks, Braeden Campbell, Mitch Knevitt, Joel Jeffrey, Dev Robertson, Harry Sharp, Cooper Hamilton, Toby McMullin, Nicholas Madden, Sebit Kuek.

I reckon there would be a few out there that just could be coaxed out.

I’d be looking at players who aren’t getting the game time they might think they deserve. Fin Macrae, Sam Wicks, Braeden Campbell, Mitch Knevitt, Joel Jeffrey, Dev Robertson, Harry Sharp, Cooper Hamilton, Toby McMullin, Nicholas Madden, Sebit Kuek.

I reckon there would be a few out there that just could be coaxed out.
Connor stone from gws.

people wrote that we should be chasing players on the GWS list after the game between GWS reserves and Sandy, saying they had ten or more players taken in the first ten picks on their liest who were not getting a game. Ned Moyle was one, who else would be of interest to us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back