Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it came from Vossy (much like Kennedy was to be a midfielder, not a forward), this is where we (or I) see you and that’s where you’ll be training/playing.
Would be a big waste. We need his foot skills forward of centre. We have Boyd, Saad, Docherty, (& Weiters) who can rebound and setup play.

I'd even consider Martin going back (depending on Cuningham & E.Hollands form) so that Williams can play Mid/Fwd.

Fit enough to play midfield? We need his pace in the midfield
We need him hitting the open space perfectly to receive, and in our setup that's best done off half back most of the time. We don't need* speed in the stoppage, we need options for the inside mids to hit if they can't break free with possession or to stop the opposition from doing so.

Last edited:

Williams is a half back

Don’t really get why people stress about pace in the middle so much, I think it’s more important to have elite pace in the backline to start chains. Our midfield doesn’t need changing
I felt like teams were able to put all their efforts into shutting down Saad this year when he didn’t have Docherty or Williams in defence with him. He was a lot more dominant in 2022 with teams having to mind Docherty and sometimes Williams as well.
Williams in defence in 2024, he’s a star and will help Saad’s game too.

I felt like teams were able to put all their efforts into shutting down Saad this year when he didn’t have Docherty or Williams in defence with him. He was a lot more dominant in 2022 with teams having to mind Docherty and sometimes Williams as well.
Williams in defence in 2024, he’s a star and will help Saad’s game too.
Absolutely. Saad was “blunted” repeatedly through the season. The return of Zac, who is an even better distributor makes our rebound significantly more potent.

Just wondering if many on here realise just how potent our team can be in 2024 if even a couple of our many avenues for improvement manage to click?

Just wondering if many on here realise just how potent our team can be in 2024 if even a couple of our many avenues for improvement manage to click?

2024 will be our year.

I finally know that we're cooking something that no bound passengers can smell. Pretty sure.

Williams is a half back

Don’t really get why people stress about pace in the middle so much, I think it’s more important to have elite pace in the backline to start chains. Our midfield doesn’t need changing

For sure. These days teams have their quick quality distributors at halfback. In Williams case he probably plays pretty high up the ground and delivers inside 50 a lot anyway. I reckon if the quick outside mids of the past like Bradley and Matera were playing today, with how the game is played they would be playing half-back too.

Williams is a half back

At 29 and coming off an ACL, Half back is his go. Needs to play one role he has played before and allowed to settle

The advantages for us are massive. At his best is is elite and a settled defence is vital to any Premiership side. He will really help Saad, Boyd, Cowan, Newman, Cincotta and allow Docherty to stay up forward or in the middle. He provides so much more run and attack

Our defence should be able to turn defence into attack at anytime.

Williams getting back to his best will have a massive effect on our results next year

Last edited:
At 29 and coming off an ACL, Half back is his go. Needs to play one role he has played before and allowed to settle

The advantages for us are massive. At his best is is elite and a settled defence is vital to any Premiership side. He will really help Saad, Boyd, Cowan, Newman, Cincotta and allow Docherty to stay up forward or in the middle. He provides so much more run and attack

Our defence should be able to turn defence into attack at anytime.

Williams getting back to his best will have a massive effect on our results next year
Quick question - can Boyd be trained and play in the midfield?

Williams is a very good player to get back. We got caught out in finals not having those offensive two way running weapons in our backline.

Two way running is going to be the area the spotlight shines on in 2024. With guys like Williams out and Docherty repositioned and Boyd out at times left it all down to Saad in defence. Not too hard for most sides to take out one defender.

In the middle it's a huge weakness as Walsh and Cerra are the only two way runners in there. Docherty is as well but not sure he plays there. This is why we struggle to transition our positioning from a defensive structure to an offensive structure quick enough to threaten the really good running sides. IMO it won't be an issue against most teams but the better running teams will be able to put the breaks on us when it comes from moving the ball from defence to the forwards.

Having better running half backs will help a hell of a lot. Not being able to get our midfielders all forward quick enough is going to trouble us a fair bit during the season as it has the last few years.

Long story short we will be a lot better with our ball movement but we will most likely be a step short of the really good sides due to us most likely being too slow with our onball group when it comes to transitioning from a defending structure to an attacking structure.

We are going to look dynamite when we give our one way running mids license to stay forward and back the defenders to do the job but struggle when we need to push the one way running onballers deeper behind the ball, they just won't be there when we look to rebound quick and go forward. Not unless we change a few personnel in there.

Williams is a very good player to get back. We got caught out in finals not having those offensive two way running weapons in our backline.

Two way running is going to be the area the spotlight shines on in 2024. With guys like Williams out and Docherty repositioned and Boyd out at times left it all down to Saad in defence. Not too hard for most sides to take out one defender.

In the middle it's a huge weakness as Walsh and Cerra are the only two way runners in there. Docherty is as well but not sure he plays there. This is why we struggle to transition our positioning from a defensive structure to an offensive structure quick enough to threaten the really good running sides. IMO it won't be an issue against most teams but the better running teams will be able to put the breaks on us when it comes from moving the ball from defence to the forwards.

Having better running half backs will help a hell of a lot. Not being able to get our midfielders all forward quick enough is going to trouble us a fair bit during the season as it has the last few years.

Long story short we will be a lot better with our ball movement but we will most likely be a step short of the really good sides due to us most likely being too slow with our onball group when it comes to transitioning from a defending structure to an attacking structure.

We are going to look dynamite when we give our one way running mids license to stay forward and back the defenders to do the job but struggle when we need to push the one way running onballers deeper behind the ball, they just won't be there when we look to rebound quick and go forward. Not unless we change a few personnel in there.
If we have Williams/Saad/Newman/Boyd as our HBFs, surely we can spare Docherty and play him as the 2-way mid/wing?

Cerra/Walsh/Doch/Acres is a lot of good run through the midfield. Potentially both Hollands brothers add to that too.

I hope we're only playing 2 of the Cripps/Kennedy/Hewett trio in 2024. Ideally we have Cripps/Kennedy as the big mid who can't run two ways. At all other times the other is on the bench or playing as a medium forward.

Hewett as backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we have Williams/Saad/Newman/Boyd as our HBFs, surely we can spare Docherty and play him as the 2-way mid/wing?

Cerra/Walsh/Doch/Acres is a lot of good run through the midfield. Potentially both Hollands brothers add to that too.

I hope we're only playing 2 of the Cripps/Kennedy/Hewett trio in 2024. Ideally we have Cripps/Kennedy as the big mid who can't run two ways. At all other times the other is on the bench or playing as a medium forward.

Hewett as backup.
Yeah I am with you, as much as I like Hewett and Kennedy I think the key to our ball movement issues are adding more two way run to the midfield and backline. Guys who can push deep back to help the defence but also get forward at speed so when we do rebound they are there, they are in position and we don't have to wait.

This is the key to unlocking our forward line.

Williams is a half back

More burst speed required to break away and deliver ala Juddy, which is why I want to see Williams play Mid/Forward

Somebody stumbled on a few of the boys running their own drills.

Love that Mirkov is involving himself with the group’s “mature core”. Hoping Marchy can sharpen his disposal instincts and mechanics just a little, there are certainly some names there who can assist in both areas.

Does anyone know when the official return to pre-season training is for this year?

I feel like we'd have been back training for a few weeks already usually by now (unsure if making finals has pushed out the return date) and that the new draftees arrive to training the day after the draft?

Does anyone know when the official return to pre-season training is for this year?

I feel like we'd have been back training for a few weeks already usually by now (unsure if making finals has pushed out the return date) and that the new draftees arrive to training the day after the draft?
think there's a minimum 'break' time set from when the season finishes, so probably 3 weeks later than previous years.

27th NOV 1-4yrs, a week later for the rest (think we’ll see most of the squad training next week)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back