Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it wouldn't - as SR stated above.

As for training at night, not even sure AIA has lights, but they would be nothing like replicating the lighting of the G. And as for "body clock", all that training at night would give you is another night of crap sleep as it takes a while to come down.

You are an amusing one Kappy - finding a problem with the 9am training time is one of your best.

I used to love training at night and actually slept very well.
Then again we also played night every Friday in u18s.

But in saying that I really don't care when they train lol.

Last edited:
-most professionals across all industries start their working day of a morning ..8-9am
-players (young kids when they 1st enter environment) are encouraged to pursue other interests /education outside of footy ..this gives them certainty of start /finish & allows them to allocate time to other non-footy activities /pursuits
-ensures players are tucked in bed at a reasonable hour of the night in order to get into work on time following day ..establishes discipline /routine, minimises opportunity to go out drinking /partying late at night
So we train at 9.00am and yet up to round 16 we play 8 night games against the top teams of 2023. Thus far we have continually fumbled, missed narks and HBs and our kicking has been abysmal. So we don't train to the conditions in which we play. Yet Lions, Geelong, Sydney and GWS break up their training times to train at night at times so players practice when it is dewy and slippery

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did anyone go to training today?

Any updates? News? Something...anything
I went elsewhere, but one of my training friends went and said this.

It didnt start til 12. There was a fire brigade there, apparantely there was a baby bird stuck in the net behind the goals, was flapping about, couldnt move. But the rescue mission was achieved.

in terms of training:

A lot of focus early on spoiling and marking the ball on the bag
Did some match sim:
They went very hard, a lot of bodies smashed and very physical

Frampton, Reef and the VFL boys didnt participate
No Ryan, Steene or Begg
Cox also didnt do match sim, but did some running

Bobby looked good. Howe too.
Pendles did a lot of work on his craft, crisp too
Jordy, Howe and Q were the last ones out
Fin and reef really stood out

I went elsewhere, but one of my training friends went and said this.

It didnt start til 12. There was a fire brigade there, apparantely there was a baby bird stuck in the net behind the goals, was flapping about, couldnt move. But the rescue mission was achieved.

in terms of training:

A lot of focus early on spoiling and marking the ball on the bag
Did some match sim:
They went very hard, a lot of bodies smashed and very physical

Frampton, Reef and the VFL boys didnt participate
No Ryan, Steene or Begg
Cox also didnt do match sim, but did some running

Bobby looked good. Howe too.
Pendles did a lot of work on his craft, crisp too
Jordy, Howe and Q were the last ones out
Fin and reef really stood out
Thanks for that Jen. Good to hear they worked on the physical side of their game.

Particularly happy to hear Jordy, IQ, Howe & Pendles doing extras.

Wonder why Frampton wasn't there. Was Reef there? it says he wasn't & then says he & Fin stood out..

Thanks for that Jen. Good to hear they worked on the physical side of their game.

Particularly happy to hear Jordy, IQ, Howe & Pendles doing extras.

Wonder why Frampton wasn't there. Was Reef there? it says he wasn't & then says he & Fin stood out..
Frampton and Reef were there, they just didnt do the match sim

They had a rotation at the beginning with different drills, so the marking bag, tackling, forward craft

The coaches on the marking bag kept saying “punch it like you mean it”

Big focus on clearing the ball and not “powder punching” it as my dad would say

So we train at 9.00am and yet up to round 16 we play 8 night games against the top teams of 2023. Thus far we have continually fumbled, missed narks and HBs and our kicking has been abysmal. So we don't train to the conditions in which we play. Yet Lions, Geelong, Sydney and GWS break up their training times to train at night at times so players practice when it is dewy and slippery

THe grass is often dewier at 9am than 9pm.

We're training at the same time we did last year - we're just playing s**t.

They had a rotation at the beginning with different drills, so the marking bag, tackling, forward craft

The coaches on the marking bag kept saying “punch it like you mean it”

Big focus on clearing the ball and not “powder punching” it as my dad would say
Dean needs a season of those drills. I think he'll be good though when he's developed.

Main training - Round 3 - March 26

The vibe was definitely more energised this morning compared to last week, they got to work on the skills area, contested ball, pressure drills and some line 1v1 stuff.
There was also match sim included.

Rehab group.
  • Eyre - Has increased his intensity of his running.
  • DeMattia - Arm support off, and is now running much more freely. He also started off with a beep test this morning.
  • McStay - Some power running, plus kicking for goal. Starting to change direction.
  • Kreuger - Did some drills and then joined the rehab group later in the session. Is pretty close to a return.
  • Steene - First time back on deck from his concussion. He has started to do some running as he goes through the protocols. Shoud be back post bye, with the VFL doesn't play during gather round.

Teams -

Black:

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Maynard
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Pendles
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • Hill
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Moore
  • Beau
  • NDaicos
  • Howe
  • Mihocek
  • Cox

White:

• Mitchell
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • Carmichael
  • Allan
  • TJ
  • Sidey
  • Ryan
  • Bytel
  • Richards
  • WHE
  • Sullivan
  • Harrison
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Parker
The more you see Parker train, the more you notice the good skill he has. Kicks really well, and reads the play very good. Looking forward to when he finally is ready to play VFL. I wonder how much longer. Post bye in a couple weeks?
He's been in full training for a couple weeks now.

He did today's main session, then some extra training and agility work toward the end.

They put an emphasis on pressure and tackling, on the pressure drill they do, Beau was aggressive as per usual, Lippa was also really good just shrugging off multiple players who tried to get him. While there is lots of work to do to clean up the fumbles and skills, I felt they were making a good step forward. We'll see if it turns into the real thing on Thursday.

Match sim teams match ups went as followed:

Black forwards:
  • Reef
  • Mihocek
  • Hill
  • Jamie
  • Beau
  • Lippa

v White defenders

• TJ
  • Parker
  • Noble
  • WHE
  • Markov
  • Dean

Black defenders

• Nick
  • IQ
  • maynard
  • Moore
  • Howe
  • Frampton

V White forwards

• Richards
  • Schultz
  • Harrison
  • Johnson
  • Bytel
  • Carmichael

Mids:

• White
  • Ryan (wing)
  • Allan (wing)
  • Sidey
  • Sullivan
  • Mitchell
  • Begg

Black:

• Crisp (wing)
  • Jordy
  • Macrae
  • Pendles
  • JDaicos (wing)
  • Cox

Nick and Pendles alternated between HB and Mid. I think fly mentioned just in case they had to play certain roles in game day, they wanted to be prepared.

Main training - Round 3 - March 26

The vibe was definitely more energised this morning compared to last week, they got to work on the skills area, contested ball, pressure drills and some line 1v1 stuff.
There was also match sim included.

Rehab group.
  • Eyre - Has increased his intensity of his running.
  • DeMattia - Arm support off, and is now running much more freely. He also started off with a beep test this morning.
  • McStay - Some power running, plus kicking for goal. Starting to change direction.
  • Kreuger - Did some drills and then joined the rehab group later in the session. Is pretty close to a return.
  • Steene - First time back on deck from his concussion. He has started to do some running as he goes through the protocols. Shoud be back post bye, with the VFL doesn't play during gather round.

Teams -

Black:

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Maynard
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Pendles
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • Hill
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Moore
  • Beau
  • NDaicos
  • Howe
  • Mihocek
  • Cox

White:

• Mitchell
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • Carmichael
  • Allan
  • TJ
  • Sidey
  • Ryan
  • Bytel
  • Richards
  • WHE
  • Sullivan
  • Harrison
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Parker
The more you see Parker train, the more you notice the good skill he has. Kicks really well, and reads the play very good. Looking forward to when he finally is ready to play VFL. I wonder how much longer. Post bye in a couple weeks?
He's been in full training for a couple weeks now.

He did today's main session, then some extra training and agility work toward the end.

They put an emphasis on pressure and tackling, on the pressure drill they do, Beau was aggressive as per usual, Lippa was also really good just shrugging off multiple players who tried to get him. While there is lots of work to do to clean up the fumbles and skills, I felt they were making a good step forward. We'll see if it turns into the real thing on Thursday.

Match sim teams match ups went as followed:

Black forwards:
  • Reef
  • Mihocek
  • Hill
  • Jamie
  • Beau
  • Lippa

v White defenders

• TJ
  • Parker
  • Noble
  • WHE
  • Markov
  • Dean

Black defenders

• Nick
  • IQ
  • maynard
  • Moore
  • Howe
  • Frampton

V White forwards

• Richards
  • Schultz
  • Harrison
  • Johnson
  • Bytel
  • Carmichael

Mids:

• White
  • Ryan (wing)
  • Allan (wing)
  • Sidey
  • Sullivan
  • Mitchell
  • Begg

Black:

• Crisp (wing)
  • Jordy
  • Macrae
  • Pendles
  • JDaicos (wing)
  • Cox

Nick and Pendles alternated between HB and Mid. I think fly mentioned just in case they had to play certain roles in game day, they wanted to be prepared.

I like that Nick spent time at HB. Need his pace back there if they're not going to bring Noble in & leave Leggy out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that Nick spent time at HB. Need his pace back there if they're not going to bring Noble in & leave Leggy out.
Yeah.. be interesting what they do.
Can WHE directly replace Markov? Not sure, I feel like they are two different players. Looks like they were using crisp to cover the sidebottom on the wing hole during Team A this morning (with Josh on the other wing)

There will be a defender on the bench, or two. With it being a wet game from all reports, I feel like Noble would thrive in those conditions. I recall his game v freo when it was wet in 2022.

Have been saying this for years…..
Employee laws / players association apparently. Can’t force them to train at night x number of times per week

Yeah.. be interesting what they do.
Can WHE directly replace Markov? Not sure, I feel like they are two different players. Looks like they were using crisp to cover the sidebottom on the wing hole during Team A this morning (with Josh on the other wing)

There will be a defender on the bench, or two. With it being a wet game from all reports, I feel like Noble would thrive in those conditions. I recall his game v freo when it was wet in 2022.
It's been wet up here all week. I don't expect that wil change anytime soon. Expect greasy, slippery conditions at a minimum.

Fly mentioned Cameron had gastro /virus and obviously didn't train.

If he doesn't get up do we roll the dice with Cox rucking solo for the entire game and Frampton offering the 5-min chop-out option each quarter?

If not, do we look to bring in Begg (or even AJ) for that 2nd ruck /forward spot to ensure Andrews has a defensive trailer for the night?

If Brisbane are still running with only Daniher and Hipwood (or has Gardiner also been playing forward?) as key forwards then Moore, Frampton and Howe with Frampton providing that chop-out ruck option.

If he doesn't get up do we roll the dice with Cox rucking solo for the entire game and perhaps Frampton giving him a 5-min chop-out each quarter?

If not, do we look to bring in Begg (or even AJ) for that 2nd ruck /forward spot.

If Brisbane are still running with only Daniher and Hipwood (or has Gardiner also been playing forward?) as key forwards then Moore, Frampton and Howe with Frampton providing that chop-out ruck option.
We'll see tonight.
It is just gastro, which is just worse for the first 48hrs, so we'll see how that pans out. But otherwise, I could see them having cox ruck and frampton back up.

If he doesn't get up do we roll the dice with Cox rucking solo for the entire game and Frampton offering the 5-min chop-out option each quarter?

If not, do we look to bring in Begg (or even AJ) for that 2nd ruck /forward spot to ensure Andrews has a defensive trailer for the night?

He'll play - might be lower minutes than normal.

Have been saying this for years…..
Employee laws / players association apparently. Can’t force them to train at night x number of times per week
Its good enough for local footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back