Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

We would never haha

Hopefully Reef goes well. He did some good things this morning. Really liked his work in tight situations.
His second half of the VFL was impressive to me as someone who watched it closely (albeit on tv from WA). It was what made me believe he’s 100% a forward and not a mid. I’m still hopeful of him, he was clearly above the level before he got injured again. His marking was giving me Henry vibes.

Main training - March 19th. Round 2.

What a wierd day. Weather went from warm, to windy, to drops of rain, to wind and overcast. Sun again out.
You'll hear noise like a whipper snipper in the background of these videos, but it was a bloke using the blower to remove the leaves from AAMI park carpark lol

Everyone was on deck, apart form Oscar Steene; who got a knock and going through the concussion protocols.

Rehab group:

• Eyre
  • Kreuger
  • Murphy
  • DeMattia
  • McStay

* Eyre still doing light running, but a good amount of it. 7-8km per session, he ran for the entire 2hr session. He'll increase his intensity in the next week or so.

• Mcstay did some kicking, and light activities.
  • The other three did some intense running. Murphy did some light drills before joining those in the rehab group.
DeMattia still sporting the long claw brace.

There was a bit more intensity, though I expected a bit more enthusiasm, but it was a good step forward, so hopefully they bring it to game day.
They got back to basics, the things they do well. More attacking and forward football than what we saw last week.

Once they finished up the fundamentals, they did their usual pressure drill, which is one way to get the competitive juices flowing, then they moved onto match related things.
Set plays and then 10 mins of match play.

Match sim teams;

Black defenders;
  • Moore
  • Howe
  • Frampton
  • Markov
  • IQ
  • Maynard

White forwards;

• Carmichael
  • Johnson
  • HH
  • Sullivan
  • Richards
  • Begg

Black forwards;

• Reef
  • Mihocek
  • Elliott
  • Hill
  • Shultz
  • Lippa

White defenders;

• Ryan
  • TJ
  • Noble
  • Dean
  • Parker
  • WHE

Midfeld

White;
  • Mitchell
  • Allan
  • Macrae
  • Nick
  • Bytel
  • Cox

Black;
  • Jordy
  • Pendles
  • Crisp
  • Sidey
  • Josh
  • Cameron

* Beau started on the bench.

😖 on the bench at training is not flash!

His second half of the VFL was impressive to me as someone who watched it closely (albeit on tv from WA). It was what made me believe he’s 100% a forward and not a mid. I’m still hopeful of him, he was clearly above the level before he got injured again. His marking was giving me Henry vibes.
And if you think his marking was good then, its gone up a notch this pre-season.

Get it done early, but not too early. Don’t train in the heat of the day, etc etc. Can’t think of a better time to train?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about at the same time we play? If you play during the heat of the day, it would make sense to train in that heat.

If you play night time footy, it would make sense to train at night time, no? Would also help with the body clock

What about at the same time we play? If you play during the heat of the day, it would make sense to train in that heat.
If you train in heat. More recovery time needed. Less work can be put into players. Less fit players.

That'd be the theory.

There's advantages and disadvantages of most decisions. Eg. Senior team together for match Sim equals more cohesion and confidence but negative is you train against lesser players and things that work might not work in a game when you're up against Heeney rather than Allan.

If you play night time footy, it would make sense to train at night time, no? Would also help with the body clock
No, it wouldn't - as SR stated above.

As for training at night, not even sure AIA has lights, but they would be nothing like replicating the lighting of the G. And as for "body clock", all that training at night would give you is another night of crap sleep as it takes a while to come down.

You are an amusing one Kappy - finding a problem with the 9am training time is one of your best.

No, it wouldn't - as SR stated above.

As for training at night, not even sure AIA has lights, but they would be nothing like replicating the lighting of the G. And as for "body clock", all that training at night would give you is another night of crap sleep as it takes a while to come down.

You are an amusing one Kappy - finding a problem with the 9am training time is one of your best.
Didn’t seem to hinder us last year 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t seem to hinder us last year 🤷‍♂️
We trained at game time for one of the finals. It was on Taking the Steps. So maybe that level of conditioning happens during finals

We trained at game time for one of the finals. It was on Taking the Steps. So maybe that level of conditioning happens during finals
Did that coincide with a supporter day? The notable one was the day Adams did his hamstring. I’m a very casual observer of this thread because I don’t value training content that much aside from numbers on the track, but my take was most sessions we’ve been on the track by 10 and sometimes off the track by 11.

It was in preparation for the Prelim against the Giants, they planned to train late afternoon because that’s when the final was projected to be scheduled. As it turned out, the game was played at 1950, so if they trained in the afternoon it didn’t go to plan anyway.

It was in preparation for the Prelim against the Giants, they planned to train late afternoon because that’s when the final was projected to be scheduled. As it turned out, the game was played at 1950, so if they trained in the afternoon it didn’t go to plan anyway.
That's what I thought too when I watched the film, that we didn't end playing the PF at that time anyway.

Get it done early, but not too early. Don’t train in the heat of the day, etc etc. Can’t think of a better time to train?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They also do weights after training and have meetings etc. so the early start would allow these things to happen in the order they want.

Lots of reasons.

It's not like the training you see them complete is all they do. They go inside and some will spend several hours completing their own work in fitness, rehab, analysis, learning, leadership, etc. If they trained late at evening or night, this wouldn't be possible unless they stayed late.

Then you have staff that are needed ranging from medical to analysts to sports scientists and coaches. Terrible work/life balance if you're needing to be there at night - hours aren't great as is. Coaches discuss things after training so their work load would not fit. It's a tough gig as is, only made tougher if you change the times. Also, many of the AFL staff also work VFL or AFLW or VFLW and there's a huge coordination effort that goes on.

There's also an element about fans. If it was after work, more fans would show up and the club doesn't want huge numbers there every session because when that happens, it becomes harder for staff and players to do their job in the sense there will be more numbers, likely more vocal fans, more distractions, etc. It's not really a secret that Collingwood would love a more closed off training facility.

Do you have a link to the VFL game you’re talking about?

We have enough pure mids for now. If Reef wants to play in that position, he can either play a lot of VFL footy or find a different club. His best position is forward. That is where he is most comfortable. We may have drafted him as a midfielder but he will be playing forward. Even injured Freddy could tell you that.

I can see reef playing forward with bursts in the midfield. His pace can’t be underestimated. Won’t be a full mid at least in the near future but long term no reason he can’t alternate between both roles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot like the role Jamie is intended to play?

Yeah. When he used to do centre bounce work. Prob the most liked for like.
Or similar to how Jordy used to be before he built his tank up. Develop up forward and plays a similar FF role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back