VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, still don't think we should be picking Bianco though. I hope there's other's we are looking at.

Our VFL form is making our list better then it actually is in my opinion. We have a lot of good VFL players and have had a lot of good VFL players over the years.
I'd prefer CCP over Bianco if we had to pick from footscray but agree we need to cast a wider net.

How many small forwards do we need ?
Getting ridiculous if we go down that track again.
How many good small forwards have we got?
I didn't get past two, and one of those could be needed in the midfield in the future. The other one has a LTI.

I think it's just because of the lack of talls up forward

Had a few disagreements with a few over the years, but I think Khamis should be playing forward. I don't think he will make it down back and said it 2 or 3 years ago. May not make it all, but it seems we've sort of made that decision to play him down back which means Croft pretty much has to play forward. Not really a fan of it myself, but I understand we need to see what Khamis can do.

IIRC Croft SNR started back then went forward.

Opposite to Peter Foster.

Matthew Croft started as a tall winger, played half forward a bit, then by necessity was pushed back. He only went forward again at the very end of his career. Was featured during the 97 finals series in a drawing with Carey as a promo, often stood Lockett too.

How many good small forwards have we got?
I didn't get past two, and one of those could be needed in the midfield in the future. The other one has a LTI.

Ok , well and good
Right now we have on the list, agree only 2 AFL standard
Clarke
West
McNeil
Jones
Weightman

Just remind me now who is to replace Doc ?
We have zero lockdown small defenders on the list, but we want to find another needle in a a haystack small forward out of a mid season draft ?

Matthew Croft started as a tall winger, played half forward a bit, then by necessity was pushed back. He only went forward again at the very end of his career. Was featured during the 97 finals series in a drawing with Carey as a promo, often stood Lockett too.
At the SCG one day for a Dogs-Swans game and Croft was playing in gloves.
As he ran past a Swans fan yelled out "got a handbag to match your gloves, Croft?"
It still cracks me up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok , well and good
Right now we have on the list, agree only 2 AFL standard
Clarke
West
McNeil
Jones
Weightman

Just remind me now who is to replace Doc ?
We have zero lockdown small defenders on the list, but we want to find another needle in a a haystack small forward out of a mid season draft ?
McNeil surely off the list at the end of the year and Jones is lucky he already has a contract for 2025 or I dare say he’d be gone too. Agree we need a Duryea replacement, just not sure there is anyone is the MSD to fill that role and would be any better than Cleary.

I think it's just because of the lack of talls up forward

Understand that. It’s been the case the last 6 weeks.

Regardless, the reserves is in place to develop the list. Wining games is a bonus.

They probably should be playing Gards forward anyway, and pumping backline games in to Crofty. If that’s where they see him long term.

Our KDP stocks are approaching a cliff, and if Buss does end up back in Perth, we could see O’Donnell being our only capable tall defender.

So it’s concerning Croft isn’t getting games sown back.

Had a few disagreements with a few over the years, but I think Khamis should be playing forward. I don't think he will make it down back and said it 2 or 3 years ago. May not make it all, but it seems we've sort of made that decision to play him down back which means Croft pretty much has to play forward. Not really a fan of it myself, but I understand we need to see what Khamis can do.
I advocated for Khamis moving back because there wasn't a spot for him forward but there was room for an athletic defender. Having watched him so far this year, I also don't think he'll make it. As an undersized marking player, he needs more strings to his bow but hasn't shown any. He is a nice mark that's it... He doesn't defend particularly well, doesn't have great vision, doesn't have speed, is not very physical, does not have a great kick, and can't run all day. Aside from marking, I can't think of anything where he is better than average. I want Khamis to make it but just can't see it unfortunately. He is probably good enough to squeeze out a few years as a fringe forward for low-ranked teams but unless he improves dramatically this year, he is the type we should turnover and move on.

Croft Snr spent a fair chunk of 1998 at CHF.

Would he be a valid Duryea replacement? Where does he usually play?
If we are taking mature aged VFL players, we should be looking for types to play certain roles. A small defender who can come in and play a lockdown type role is much more of a need than a gun VFL mid who doesn’t have the attributes to make it at AFL level in the same role.

I’m thinking the Morris & Picken types. They never dominated or stood out at VFL level.

His first couples of games were definitely on a wing.
He had quite a good tank too and Croft Jnr is an outstanding runner. He's going to take a while though as he needs time.

His first couples of games were definitely on a wing.
He had quite a good tank too and Croft Jnr is an outstanding runner. He's going to take a while though as he needs time.
Reckon Croft Jnr is starting to look more advanced than most 1st year key position players. Looks a naughton clone.

He was playing wing in senior EDFL iirc. Might be worth a shot sometime.

Crofty, Kretiuk & Southern - we didn’t lack any tough campaigner’s in the late 90’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back