VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Croft Jnr is starting to look more advanced than most 1st year key position players. Looks a naughton clone.

He was playing wing in senior EDFL iirc. Might be worth a shot sometime.
Croft senior debuted in July of his first year aged 18 but he only played 8 games over his first three years. So it looks like he wasn't quite ready at that stage. He came good in his fourth year at the club.

Times have changed and the standard of professionalism has gone up heaps since then. And Croft junior might be a different type to his dad. But most likely we'll just need to be patient.

Crofty, Kretiuk & Southern - we didn’t lack any tough campaigner’s in the late 90’s.
Carrying on the Toohey-Kennedy-Dent tradition

Tim Callan gets forgotten but was a damn hard player too.

If you're not excited about Lachlan Smith.... You should be.

Why?

History tells me that English will be number 1 ruck for sometime to come on the proviso he stays

Smith will be handy iIF English goes but whilst Timmy is at the club and is not injured hard to see anyone else playing the ruck roll see Sweet

Why?

History tells me that English will be number 1 ruck for sometime to come on the proviso he stays

Smith will be handy iIF English goes but whilst Timmy is at the club and is not injured hard to see anyone else playing the ruck roll see Sweet
It's a long way to the top if you want a ruckin' role. :(

Why?

Smith's playing incredibly well for someone of his age in the VFL, but it's still a long way to go to be AFL standard, so there's no worry there.

For a sake of comparison, Toby Nankervis, a short, lack of leaping ability ruck who is Smith's fairest comparison was still running around as an overager for the Tasmanian U18 team and only cemented himself when he got over to Richmond in his fourth year (equivalent to Smith's fifth year). Comparison is 2028, when English will be 28.

Irrespective of if it's with us or if there's another trade like Sweet to get more opportunity out there, I agree, Smith will be a solid top-15 in the ruck in the future like Nankervis has been, he's shown enough at this age here. Just that might not be for another five years, as rucks take forever to develop.

Smith's playing incredibly well for someone of his age in the VFL, but it's still a long way to go to be AFL standard, so there's no worry there.

For a sake of comparison, Toby Nankervis, a short, lack of leaping ability ruck who is Smith's fairest comparison was still running around as an overager for the Tasmanian U18 team and only cemented himself when he got over to Richmond in his fourth year (equivalent to Smith's fifth year). Comparison is 2028, when English will be 28.

Irrespective of if it's with us or if there's another trade like Sweet to get more opportunity out there, I agree, Smith will be a solid top-15 in the ruck in the future like Nankervis has been, he's shown enough at this age here. Just that might not be for another five years, as rucks take forever to develop.
English will be 30 in 2028. In fact he'll turn 31 in August that year.

Croft senior debuted in July of his first year aged 18 but he only played 8 games over his first three years. So it looks like he wasn't quite ready at that stage. He came good in his fourth year at the club.

Times have changed and the standard of professionalism has gone up heaps since then. And Croft junior might be a different type to his dad. But most likely we'll just need to be patient.

He likely would have played more dogwatch, but those pesky hammies of his plagued him right from the start of his career.

And, while a very different kettle of fish to current day drafts, Crofty was pick 2 in the 1989 draft. (Although looking at the rest of that draft, only Galaxy Coleman is notable. Repacholi and Brunner were considered good picks, but had no impact, while the less said about our other picks that year, the better!)

Round

Opponent

Date

Time

Broadcast

14North MelbourneSaturday 29 June2.05pmArden St OvalAFL.com.au
15WerribeeSaturday 6 July2.05pmAvalon Airport OvalAFL.com.au
16CarltonSunday 14 July12pmMission Whitten OvalCh 7
17GeelongSaturday 20 July3.40pmGMHBA StadiumAFL.com.au
18BYE
19Casey DemonsFriday 2 August3.05pmMission Whiten OvalAFL.com.au
20FrankstonSunday 11 August12pmKinetic StadiumCh 7
21Sydney SwansSaturday 17 August11.05amTramway OvalAFL.com.au

Footscray has made three changes to its Round 10 line-up, ahead of tomorrow’s double-header against Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

Charlie Clarke returns after missing last week with illness, while Kai Stretton and Connor Watson have both been recalled.

Rory Lobb and Lachie McNeil have been elevated to the AFL side, with Cameron Kizan also coming out of the team.
Lachie Smith, Jedd Busslinger and Jordan Croft headline a group of what could be up to 10 AFL-listed players included.

Footscray will look to continue their undefeated streak, with the first bounce at 4.05pm AEST on Friday afternoon.

Gates 5, 8 and 9 at Marvel Stadium will open from 3.45pm AEST to accommodate patrons wishing to attend – but must hold a valid ticket/admission to the later AFL match.

The match will be streamed via afl.com.au/vfl, with game-day updates also available via @FootscrayVFL on X (Twitter).

Support the 'Scray with a VFL membership, giving you access to all Footscray Bulldogs home games at Mission Whitten Oval.

VFL Team | Round 10

Collingwood v Footscray Bulldogs
Friday 31 May, 4:05pm AEST
Marvel Stadium, Docklands • Wurundjeri

B: Spicer, Lewis, L.Smith
HB:
Bedendo, Bianco, Clarke
C:
Croft, A. Jones, Crofts
HF:
Orgill, Busslinger, Hunt
F:
Craig-Peters, Poulter, Cleary
R:
Khamis, Kellett, Baker
IC:
Willoughby, Gilbee, Dahms, Stretton, Watson
EMG:
C. Smith, McRae, Bade, Maple

In: Clarke, Stretton, Watson
Out: Lobb (AFL), McNeil (AFL), Kizan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Busslinger so highly, he is going to reach the heights of Sam Taylor, genuinely looks incredible.

I don’t mind about Bazlenka, but I’m praying we keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back