Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why he was positioned deep forward in the practice match vs Geelong. Proved what I already knew in that he has no idea how to lead and play as a proper key forward target. Only way he is going to succeed in the role is by getting up the ground and being able to utilise the open space when we win the ball back.

I don't think him playing back or forward is dependant on how well he goes forward rather how well Tarrant/Gibcus or Miller fill his void in the backline. If they can effectively replace him then although he may not be all that effective as a forward he size, athleticism and potential to play stints in the ruck as virtually a fourth midfielder means he will add value to the side whether he kicks goals or not.

The issue is then what becomes of Jack and Nank. We already have Lynch as the key target up forward and Jack although smart on some occasions (too smart on other occasions) is a massive concern with his aerial work, was being out marked by Zac Guthrie yesterday. While Soldo is going to have a breakout year and is our no.1 ruck going forward. If Balta stays forward then we cannot afford to play both Jack and Nank, both are too slow and don't offer enough of a marking presence for us afford to go into a game playing tall. One of them will have to miss out.

Not sure why he was positioned deep forward in the practice match vs Geelong. Proved what I already knew in that he has no idea how to lead and play as a proper key forward target. Only way he is going to succeed in the role is by getting up the ground and being able to utilise the open space when we win the ball back.

I don't think him playing back or forward is dependant on how well he goes forward rather how well Tarrant/Gibcus or Miller fill his void in the backline. If they can effectively replace him then although he may not be all that effective as a forward he size, athleticism and potential to play stints in the ruck as virtually a fourth midfielder means he will add value to the side whether he kicks goals or not.

The issue is then what becomes of Jack and Nank. We already have Lynch as the key target up forward and Jack although smart on some occasions (too smart on other occasions) is a massive concern with his aerial work, was being out marked by Zac Guthrie yesterday. While Soldo is going to have a breakout year and is our no.1 ruck going forward. If Balta stays forward then we cannot afford to play both Jack and Nank, both are too slow and don't offer enough of a marking presence for us afford to go into a game playing tall. One of them will have to miss out.
I would like to see Jack stay deep (move up when Dusty plays from square), and Lynch and Balta lead up high and wide. Let's hope we don't have Jack, Nank, Lynch and Caddy all there at the same time. (Although Jack did a nice rundown tackle on the weekend)
Next game should reveal what they are are going with.
I thought it was Soldo was out-marked by Guthrie.

I only watched the first quarter but I thought he looked great when in the ruck - he is like an extra midfielder. When the ball hits the ground - he seemed to be everywhere getting his hand in and giving us the momentum
Hes a better ruck than he is a forward. But he's a better defender than both. Defender/ruck would be his ideal, not forward/ruck.

Give him time. Noah has to work around 2 top end KPFs. He is young and learning.

If it doesn't work then maybe try Miller up forward and Balta back again.

Patience is often a virtue - sometimes a curse though :p

He is your classic utility or swing man - with his skills he can literally play anywhere but not sure he has the game smarts to do this. Problem is - it looks like if he is switched around too much he gets confused.

KPB suited his style as the ball was always in front of him - same with the ruck. He's on a steep learning curve with the forward craft and fitting in with the established KPFs. I think its great for his long term development to try hm up forward and I think its worth a crack because good KPF/Rucks are a lot more valuable to a team than KPBs.

This year is the year to try it - as JR will prob retire at end of year and we have recruited Tarrant and Gibcus - with Miller and Biggie waiting for a crack - we have a surplus of KPBs and will be short on KPFs next year.

Its going to be a massive talking point this year and I'm watching with a high degree of interest

I only watched the first quarter but I thought he looked great when in the ruck - he is like an extra midfielder. When the ball hits the ground - he seemed to be everywhere getting his hand in and giving us the momentum
Was going to post this exactly. His ability to get involved in ground ball after contesting ruck is brilliant.
It got me wondering how he’d go in short bursts as a mid or does he need the momentum of jumping in the ruck to allow him to get to the drop of the ball so quickly.
Bumbers used Stringer effectively in Center bounces last year to break things open during tight games. Balta is every bit the athlete Jake is

Oscar McDonald is a more competent forward. Send him back before we destroy his career.

Would be great if Balta can become a gun forward. Wouldn’t mind getting Riccardi from gws too
Riccardi was excellent in the practice game the other night. Can play any part of the ground as well.

Two of his few VFL games last year were monsters: 24 possessions, 14 marks and 8.4 goals one week and playing in defence the other for 40 possessions and 19 marks. 7 tackles combined as well.

I know it’s only the new VFL but you don’t see other guys doing that.

I like Noah in the back line he has been developing his defensive skills and as a forward positioned himself as a defender.

the move forward has the touch of Dimma putting Rance into the centre

if the preseason focus up forward is to gain insights to help him as a defender maybe OK for a short term experiment

but we run the risk of confusing the thorough bred colt.

They do not know what his best position is yet we know he is a beast of a deep defender.

Miller and Balta should be our future to handle the oppos forward gorillas.

/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward of the centre play functioned because it had 3 mobile forwards constantly moving to the ball. Balta took a bit of time to get moving himself but once he did contributed. Learning structures at training is a fair bit different to game day. Everyone writing him off after one practice match.

We score 17 goals in a game against a top 3 side on their dung heap. With Balta's athleticism it is like having a new Richo running around, or even a Stringer as someone mentioned previously. Of course he is not fit to tie Richo's boots yet, but one game is not really enough time to see if he might develop into a player.

Last edited:
"Game smarts". Ffs, all you couch geniuses, it's not differential rocket surgery.
It's not the 1980s anymore. There's a lot to forward craft now, opposition coaches don't just let the opposition's biggest athletic guy stay 1 on 1 and get a run and jump at the ball with no one else within 10m of them.

Balta shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence as Stringer.

Stringer carries condition, lacks endurance and if he has to sprint too hard can ping his hammy.

I like Noah in the back line he has been developing his defensive skills and as a forward positioned himself as a defender.

the move forward has the touch of Dimma putting Rance into the centre

if the preseason focus up forward is to gain insights to help him as a defender maybe OK for a short term experiment

but we run the risk of confusing the thorough bred colt.

They do not know what his best position is yet we know he is a beast of a deep defender.

Miller and Balta should be our future to handle the oppos forward gorillas.

/

Gibcus.

Gibcus is possibly the highest potential KPD of them all. Balta is B+ maybe A grade KPD.
Miller looks like he can step in as a B grade KPD. And Biggie has plenty of upside.

I reckon looking 3 years from now we will have Gibcus and someone as the gorilla KPD. If we can get 2 of the others in and then play Gibcus as the intercept back that would be great.

So I can see why they are trying Balta forward. He can be a difference maker going forward. And without much pressure up front, cause we have JR and Lynch.

Gibcus.

Gibcus is possibly the highest potential KPD of them all. Balta is B+ maybe A grade KPD.
Miller looks like he can step in as a B grade KPD. And Biggie has plenty of upside.

I reckon looking 3 years from now we will have Gibcus and someone as the gorilla KPD. If we can get 2 of the others in and then play Gibcus as the intercept back that would be great.

So I can see why they are trying Balta forward. He can be a difference maker going forward. And without much pressure up front, cause we have JR and Lynch.
or we draft a key forward and in two years Balta can go back to mind the gorillas in partnership with Gibcus, unless he becomes the key forward.

or we draft a key forward and in two years Balta can go back to mind the gorillas in partnership with Gibcus, unless he becomes the key forward.

I want us to get a quality KPF.

I'm not locked into Balta forward. Ryan has talent - but we'll see. Miller can play forward. I just see the club looking at Balta as the easy option to play back whilst Tarrent is here.

I want us to get a quality KPF.

I'm not locked into Balta forward. Ryan has talent - but we'll see. Miller can play forward. I just see the club looking at Balta as the easy option to play back whilst Tarrent is here.
I don't think we have any idea of what he can produce forward. Give him 6 weeks at least. Easy option, Miller is the only other option, and if Balta can't do it Miller is less likely. Thought our forward movement was good, so 3 talls may be the way to go. We will see.

I don't think we have any idea of what he can produce forward. Give him 6 weeks at least. Easy option, Miller is the only other option, and if Balta can't do it Miller is less likely. Thought our forward movement was good, so 3 talls may be the way to go. We will see.

I suspect that this is all a work in progress. Balta is the obvious one to try as a KPF. And if he just doesn't work, then probably Miller. Who knows.

But I suspect that a large part of this is actually 2023, 2024. Prepare for life post JR. And be ready for injuries etc this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back