Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Q
He’s a 22 year old 201cm KP backman.

This could just be the beginning for him.

What he hasn’t shown yet - bucket mark, rag dolling strength, and despite what some on here might think he is actually very athletic.

Fingers crossed. This would be a big win for us if he can get it together.
He kinda just grabbed one of their KF's, maybe it was Chol - but he dragged him to the ground with one hand and brought him down. Looked effortless

He’s definitely AFL KP size now, isn’t he?

Size was never his issue. It's confidence and belief that he belongs. Last night proves he has a future if he can maintain the intensity for a full game.

He looks very slow off the mark but his closing speed was good. Got a fist in on most occasions.

The contest that nearly killed Kyron was actually a bloody good running spoil from Ben.

Size was never his issue. It's confidence and belief that he belongs. Last night proves he has a future if he can maintain the intensity for a full game.

I agree, but I reckon he was elite for body work as a junior and came into the AFL system average-good in this area. However, now he has put on size and he can bring that strength he had as a junior to AFL level. This will give him confidence because if nothing else he can wrestle and compete with the big boys and win. That wasn’t necessarily true two years ago.

Had 3 effective disposals for the match, we'll settle for that.
I take the point, but I think he went in with the mindset never to be beaten; he reminded me of Shane Warne's remarks about the psychology of a spin bowler, when you first come on to bowl, you just want to stay on, so try and keep it tight. That's what McKay did last night, just avoided making mistakes while keeping his man out of the game. Obviously needs to build on that by taking some grabs so he can contribute to rebound, but it was a great start and he has to stay in (regardless of where Walker plays). If they drop him to make way for Maj (much as it's important that Daw comes in), it will be the worst crucifixion since you know who.

He looks very slow off the mark but his closing speed was good. Got a fist in on most occasions.

The contest that nearly killed Kyron was actually a bloody good running spoil from Ben.
Reckon the slowness off the mark is Ben analysing the play and reaction time.

Looks pretty athletic to me and definitely worth persistence

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should absolutely be persisted with next to Taz in defence. Walker has had a great start to the year, but at this stage of where we are at I’d rather be pumping games into a 23yo who could be a key piece for the future if he kicks on.

The decision to play Campbell a week earlier looks even worse now
As it did when we played him ahead of Larkey last year.
And he only came in after a late injury.

It's almost like Shawry is following in Bard's footsteps - selection wise, match day wise.

It's eerie and it's hurting us badly.

We are paying both blokes this year to coach us so its costing us a bomb as well.

Really spoiled the ball well. Might be a bit slow on turning around. We need to see where he’s at. Called it a couple of weeks ago for Walker to go forward and McKay/Durdin to come in. Get some games into him.

I’ll be honest. The selfish supporter in me was more impressed by the spoil rather than the courageous act. There was one effective piece of play in that contest and it was Bens.

He frustrated Lynch all night, you could tell when the siren blew and it looked like they needed to be cooled down by Tarrant (IIRC).

Annabelle Chong approves.

There's a glimmer of hope based on last night, I thought he was very good, got to quite a few contests I think few of our defenders may have gotten to due to his size.

Given that he is contracted until 2021, we really need to prioritise some games into him to see what we have.

Give him the whole year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back