Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown, Wood and Larkey have the forward line covered for the next 6-8 years after W80 retires. Ben is a backman, and will be a bloody good one. Still very early in his career.

Not sold on the second two listed.

We need to beg, borrow, deal, basically do anything to get Lukosius into the club.

I suppose that's why there's good mail he'll make it at the top level, he's the modern day swing-man.

Swing him forward for a quarter, swing him back for a half.. either way he has the potential to swing a game individually.
Doesn't work.

Pick a role and stick with it. Learn the craft. Bit like we've done with Brown.....a guy that played all his VFL as a KPF and has continued that at the top level.

It's no surprise that with continuation in the role he's naturally good at , he's become a very good player.

I used to believe in the swingman, but in all honesty apart from Harry Taylor a few years ago I can't think of a top line one at all.

I think it genuinely does most of these big men no favours at all in their development. There are always exceptions of course, but I guess I'm a bit over having these big men with obvious talent taking years to come on because the man in charge could never make his ******* mind up and just pull the trigger.

Doesn't work.

Pick a role and stick with it. Learn the craft. Bit like we've done with Brown.....a guy that played all his VFL as a KPF and has continued that at the top level.

It's no surprise that with continuation in the role he's naturally good at , he's become a very good player.

I used to believe in the swingman, but in all honesty apart from Harry Taylor a few years ago I can't think of a top line one at all.

I think it genuinely does most of these big men no favours at all in their development. There are always exceptions of course, but I guess I'm a bit over having these big men with obvious talent taking years to come on because the man in charge could never make his ******* mind up and just pull the trigger.
Tom McDonald, Cale Hooker, Jeremy McGovern?

Doesn't work.

Each player develops differently and there are plenty more who have been successful at both ends other than Taylor. I can definitely see the advantages in spending a year or two down one end, to see things in a different perspective and then moving back to their more preferred end.
Although we seem to do it to a lot more kpp’s (players in general) compared to other clubs . It feels like Durdin and McKay spend 6 months up one end and continually rotate between forward and back. I can’t see how that is any good for their development.
Lachie Hansen is a perfect example of how not to develop a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It continues to amaze me how much hype his twin brother, who's produced two fifths of F/A, receives in comparison to Ben. I have high hopes for our version anyway, being a big bloke who will take awhile to reach his full potential.
I agree 100% on both counts. I'd love to have Harry at North too. 2 colossusi, 1 at each end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben McKay took another stride towards adding to his solitary AFL appearance with a strong performance in North’s VFL practice match against the Coburg Lions at Arden St on Saturday.

The 201-centimetre key-position prospect was a colossus in the backline, taking a host of excellent intercept marks, and was rarely beaten in the contest.

VFL Coach, David Loader was impressed with what he saw from the 20-year-old.

“Ben McKay down back worked really well as a key defender, and showed how good he can be and how effective he can be when he plays aggressive football,” Loader told North Media.

Ben McKay took another stride towards adding to his solitary AFL appearance with a strong performance in North’s VFL practice match against the Coburg Lions at Arden St on Saturday.

The 201-centimetre key-position prospect was a colossus in the backline, taking a host of excellent intercept marks, and was rarely beaten in the contest.

VFL Coach, David Loader was impressed with what he saw from the 20-year-old.

“Ben McKay down back worked really well as a key defender, and showed how good he can be and how effective he can be when he plays aggressive football,” Loader told North Media.

201cm?

Someone just found themselves added to the "blokes who are suited to positions other than ruck who will now help out in the ruck because our ruck can't share the position with other rucks".

Coincidentally all other members of the list are also 200cm+ and named Ben.

I think if he is going to make it, it will be as a key back. We need another gorilla backman and I just think he'll get more involved having a player to start on and then reading the ball from there. I feel like he gets lost as a forward and can go long periods without impact. If we need a swingman, I think Durdin will be more likely to fill the role.

Looks like an absolute monster in that VFL video. Excited to see what he can do this year, hopefully in the AFL.
He's a very big lad. Going to a VFL game you can walk right up to the huddles at 1/4 and 3/4 time. He's a very big boy. Has really good hands and excellent game sense. Have seen this consistently over several VFL games. Saturday was by far his best yet. At least 6 intercept marks. And used it well each time.

I'd bring him in, play him at CHB, Taz at FB, Thommo in the pocket and LMac back in the midfield where he belongs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back