Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd give him 800k a year front loaded. That way by the time Sheezel, Wardlaw and whoever else will be up for renewal and likely McKay will only earn around 500k in those years.

Right now, I can't figure who'd put us close to the salary cap at the moment.

We have had trouble keeping and drafting a KPD. One less position to worry about.
Thank * you are not in charge of the salary cap. Pay him 800k, you are a lunatic

He can’t walk for unders, being a restricted free agent we can match a offer if we think it’s low and we won’t get any value out of the compo.

If the contract from an opposition club is low, I think you will find we simply match and worst case force a trade or keep him.
So we match the offer and end up with a player who doesn’t want to be there. Is the sort of guy that won’t care or do we think it would affect his footy? If we force a trade we’re not getting pick 3.

Strong word is that talks commenced Tuesday, just over 50% chance of staying which is interesting, however line ball. Also Port is a smoke screen and if does leave will likely be for a Victorian club (Essendon, Stkilda, Collingwood).

Gut feel is if a deal gets done will be just before/ After the bye. If nothing signed by 1st game after the bye, i reckon he’s gone.
Sneaky ******* Russians

So we match the offer and end up with a player who doesn’t want to be there. Is the sort of guy that won’t care or do we think it would affect his footy? If we force a trade we’re not getting pick 3.

He’ll get where he wants to go. How many players don’t? If we don’t trade him he might put himself in the PSD and we get nothing.

But we aren’t going to let him walk for unders. Letting him walk for unders means the compensation pick will be terrible.

If a club puts in a bid at $500-550K there is no way we let him walk via free agency. At worst we match and then try and negotiate a trade or he stays on the list. He would pretty much sack his Manager if that outcome occurred and he wanted to get out.

I can’t see it happening as any club that bids on him knows they pretty much need to price North out of matching, which means the dollars are way above where we value him and will most likely trigger a good compensation outcome.

A lot of clubs are usually happy to pay that but extra to it have to outlay the draft capital to get their player.

Am telling people on here that as of Tuesday talks commenced and it’s line ball and that he won’t be going to port.

I’m not going to tell you what you want to hear…. Simply telling you what happened.
If he leaves is spicer taking the 5 yr deal @800k

If he leaves is spicer taking the 5 yr deal @800k
Clamps.png

North Board 2022:

Sack Luff, we have no KPD depth - Josh Walker and Matt McGuiness - WTAF!!!

North Board 2023:

Quick lets trade McKay or let him walk for compo!
Thats not what the board is saying. They are saying “if you want 800k prove your worth” he isnt worth a ******* salvos meal voucher right now. He is being brought back to reality. He might magically come good but he aint worth what he’s askin. Tell him he’s dreamin

If he leaves and we get pick 3 or pick 2 or pick 4 we make out like bandits

Run of the mill kpd defenders / ruckman like McKay are dime a dozen

Package him up to get Reid and Watson

Louge and Corr plus Goater and Bergman , McDonald and other anybother shitman X 3 is overs

McKay is superfluous

Get Reid and Watson

McKay is redundant

FACT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong word is that talks commenced Tuesday, just over 50% chance of staying which is interesting, however line ball. Also Port is a smoke screen and if does leave will likely be for a Victorian club (Essendon, Stkilda, Collingwood).

Gut feel is if a deal gets done will be just before/ After the bye. If nothing signed by 1st game after the bye, i reckon he’s gone.
Read this in Tom Browne’s voice and it all makes sense.

I read somewhere today that *essendon is the team keenest to get him. Also fixed up your spelling of *essendon. *they are still drug cheats and will be forever more.
Straight swap for Redman and Harrison Jones.. we’ll throw in Liam Anthony and a 4th rounder as a sweetner…

Wasnt it estimated that because we weren’t reaching the cap he and other were given significant overs to meet caps at their last contract deals? He’d be on 600 now.

This is where the “minimum” cap payments need to be scrapped, if you have a team of spuds why should you be required to pay them like they are truffles.

There is already a minimum player payment so no one goes under the minimum anyway but being forced to pay players more than their worth just to meet a minimum spend of X amount of dollars is ******* stupid…

I find it hard to reconcile that we picked Griff for a future 2nd and people want to not accept pick 3 for Benny because it’s “so hard to find key decent defenders.”

Accepting pick 3 for Benny is the easiest decision out list management team will ever have to make.
It's more of a case of we haven't been looking in the right places until now.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I find it hard to reconcile that we picked Griff for a future 2nd and people want to not accept pick 3 for Benny because it’s “so hard to find key decent defenders.”

Accepting pick 3 for Benny is the easiest decision out list management team will ever have to make.
I’m pretty sure this has come up before with other clubs, but you don’t find out until later what the compensation will be, so it’s not a clear swap. I recall more than one club letting a restricted FA go and then being far from satisfied with the pick they got back.

And I’m in the “keep him if he wants to stay and commit at a price we can afford” club. He is entitled to listen to other offers without being accused of disloyalty, NMFC is entitled to offer what we think is reasonable, and then he will decide. If he stays, no hard feelings at all. I kind of hope that the drop in hysteria about the Mackays and the loss of some lustre on both brothers this season will make the next contract more reasonable, but also I doubt his decision will come down to money.

Is anyone suggesting essendon forgetting that Scott refused to play him when he was coaching us and picked sam durind over him? Doubt he wants to be reunited with him anytime soon
He wasn’t ready and his form in the seniors was as bad as recent form he’s been rightly criticised for. Durdin wasn’t much better.

Is anyone suggesting essendon forgetting that Scott refused to play him when he was coaching us and picked sam durind over him? Doubt he wants to be reunited with him anytime soon
Yeah but Bard's changed.. apparently..

He wasn’t ready and his form in the seniors was as bad as recent form he’s been rightly criticised for. Durdin wasn’t much better.
There was more to it than that though. Basically, Scott being convinced that he was no good despite getting a contract extension. It was bizarre at the time.

This is where the “minimum” cap payments need to be scrapped, if you have a team of spuds why should you be required to pay them like they are truffles.

There is already a minimum player payment so no one goes under the minimum anyway but being forced to pay players more than their worth just to meet a minimum spend of X amount of dollars is ******* stupid…
I agree. Would of also helped us out making higher profits too. North have been a gift to the common potato for too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back