Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched through his extended highlights on the AFL app, as I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet and he was one who I had a hard time evaluating at the ground.

A few fumbles early, but he was mostly clean for the rest of the game. A couple of bad moments, but for the most part was solid. If this is him underdone and rusty, then he could be in for a really big year.

It wasn't really a stuff up. He was right to expect powell to come in from the side to help the contest. Ziebell was 1v1 with a 199cm KPF. They were were stationary and ziebell almost got it to ground level. Powell was unaware and too busy watching his opponent. Powell knew he should have helped. You can understand ziebell's frustration especially when he's always throwing himself in to help contests
You don't start from behind and you get a hard body on him, don't give him the easy lead or the space for an open mark. Make it hard for him at least.
Look Jack shouldn't have been in a position to have to play on a big, but get a body on him, make him work for it.

You don't start from behind and you get a hard body on him, don't give him the easy lead or the space for an open mark. Make it hard for him at least.
Look Jack shouldn't have been in a position to have to play on a big, but get a body on him, make him work for it.
Felt like Jack is too concerned about giving away a free.

He had the strength to absolutely destroy Gunston but like he just allowed Gunston front position?

It wasn't really a stuff up. He was right to expect powell to come in from the side to help the contest. Ziebell was 1v1 with a 199cm KPF. They were were stationary and ziebell almost got it to ground level. Powell was unaware and too busy watching his opponent. Powell knew he should have helped. You can understand ziebell's frustration especially when he's always throwing himself in to help contests
It was a 1v1 contest. JZ slipped over, JZ has 50 years experience, is not tiny, he could have got a fist to that ball and brought it to ground. JZ was given a bath on Sunday, he knew it and he let his own failings get the better of him.

It was a 1v1 contest. JZ slipped over, JZ has 50 years experience, is not tiny, he could have got a fist to that ball and brought it to ground. JZ was given a bath on Sunday, he knew it and he let his own failings get the better of him.
That's not how it works. It was a player giving up 10cm and 10kgs in a 1v1. You don't sit and watch waiting to see what happens. You come in from the side and improve north's chance by punching it over the line. Everyone in the team knew Jack was being forced to play on a KPP. You don't sit there and say "good luck, that's on you captain"...you help whenever possible. And it was possible to do so.

This wouldn't even be up for discussion if it was a north golden child yelling at a whipping boy. If it was perez being forced to play tall and getting frustrated at turner this board would be asking for turner to be dropped.

Last edited:
That's not how it works. It was a player giving up 10cm and 10kgs in a 1v1. You don't sit and watch waiting to see what happens. You come in from the side and improve north's chance by punching it over the line. Everyone in the team knew Jack was being forced to play on a KPP. You don't sit there and say "good luck, that's on you captain"...you help whenever possible. And it was possible to do so.

This wouldn't even be up for discussion if it was a north golden child yelling at a whipping boy. If it was perez being forced to play tall and getting frustrated at turner this board would be asking for turner to be dropped.
Pretty much this. There is a lot to be critical about Jack's game on Sunday. Giving a spray to TP isn't one of them.

He had decent position to spoil the ball. 10kg vs an abundance of hard body experience, he tripped over his feet. I know Jack likes to jump in and smash his own players. Im not sure Tommy would have made that contest either. Jack tripped over his feet and couldn’t get elevation to the ball. Had nothing to do with the opponent. It was basically an uncontested mark

named as an emergency again. what is going on?

Wasn't great last week but a couple who felt worse who managed to hold their spots.

Wasn't great last week but a couple who felt worse who managed to hold their spots.
he wasn't bad either. felt like he was getting back to his usual standard of output, with just a few shaky moments. maybe they want him to absolutely set Williamstown on fire and come back in with some momentum?

he wasn't bad either. felt like he was getting back to his usual standard of output, with just a few shaky moments. maybe they want him to absolutely set Williamstown on fire and come back in with some momentum?

He's an inside mid stuck down the pecking order right now so unfortunately he's out on a wing.

I'm really high on what Powell can do so it's a little bit disappointing but also not the end of the world he's not in the side.

He was absolutely fine last week.

We're a ****ing rebuilding side and not playing one of our most talented young players who had 21 in his first proper game back from OP. it's ****ing ridiculous and needs explaining from Nobles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i can only think that they want him to be playing inside mid in the VFL and getting more experience in that role, rather than doing something else at senior level. i can see the thinking behind that, you don't want to shaun atley him

named as an emergency again. what is going on?

He’s caught up in the folly of the Greenwood experiment. What a load of garbage that we need a B grade veteran midfielder to protect and nurture the growth of our young midfielders.

Giving them as much game time and responsibility is the best way to fast track their development. I could be wrong about Greenwood, but do we really need him when we are expected to be bottom half of the ladder for the next two years, particularly if it slows the growth of our young guns?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was absolutely fine last week.

We're a ******* rebuilding side and not playing one of our most talented young players who had 21 in his first proper game back from OP. it's ******* ridiculous and needs explaining from Nobles

He fumbled, he turned it over. I am pretty sure he wouldn't have been happy with his day.

I don't think he was near our worst or should have been dropped but I don't think him getting left out is the end of the world either.

i can only think that they want him to be playing inside mid in the VFL and getting more experience in that role, rather than doing something else at senior level.

TBF, you guys are pretty much playing against a VFL team this weekend. Amazed Powell got dropped after his game for you guys last week. Sure had a few fumbles, but he is probably one of your best young players coming through. Rate him highly.

i can only think that they want him to be playing inside mid in the VFL and getting more experience in that role, rather than doing something else at senior level. i can see the thinking behind that, you don't want to shaun atley him

Maybe, but Anderson, Cunnington and Phillips are all out. He isn't gonna get a better chance to be in the guts for the next few years.

He fumbled, he turned it over. I am pretty sure he wouldn't have been happy with his day.

I don't think he was near our worst or should have been dropped but I don't think him getting left out is the end of the world either.
He had fewer turnovers that Simpkin and Hall and only one more than LDU. it's a given that mids will occasionally turn it over because they're under the most pressure in the most contested part of the ground.

Maybe not the end of the world, but it's baffling, to say the absolute least, and downright ****ing negligent at worst considering we're a rebuilding side, he's arguably our most talented u21 player, and there are players ahead of him that either don't have half the talent of him or won't be a part of any future success given their age.

He had fewer turnovers that Simpkin and Hall and only one more than LDU. it's a given that mids will occasionally turn it over because they're under the most pressure in the most contested part of the ground.

Maybe not the end of the world, but it's baffling, to say the absolute least, and downright ******* negligent at worst considering we're a rebuilding side, he's arguably our most talented u21 player, and there are players ahead of him that either don't have half the talent of him or won't be a part of any future success given their age.
My issue with his non selection is we NEED blokes who can actually get the footy.

Thomas attend 9 centre bounced for a grand total of 11 touches. Hugh Greenwood 16 for just 19 touches.

I don't care so much about his age. He gets the footy, and we desperately need that.

He’s caught up in the folly of the Greenwood experiment. What a load of garbage that we need a B grade veteran midfielder to protect and nurture the growth of our young midfielders.

Giving them as much game time and responsibility is the best way to fast track their development. I could be wrong about Greenwood, but do we really need him when we are expected to be bottom half of the ladder for the next two years, particularly if it slows the growth of our young guns?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree… I know people keep saying we need big bodies & experience in the middle, but I’d prefer to play Thomas, JHF, Powell & Phillips (when fit) in the centre square.
LDU & Simpkin aren’t babies anymore!
I have no qualms about us picking up Greenwood for nothing, as we need all the depth we can get, especially with COVID this year + Cunners & Jed out.
I hope Greenwood gets phased out of the centre square as the year goes on & the young guys I mentioned above get more time in there.

Powell effectively has the handball vision we are sorely missing.

At any point, he might just click and break the game wide open. Really weird selections going on or he must be carrying something.

TBF, you guys are pretty much playing against a VFL team this weekend. Amazed Powell got dropped after his game for you guys last week. Sure had a few fumbles, but he is probably one of your best young players coming through. Rate him highly.
our opposition may be VFL standard (or WAFL rather) but he's still stuck behind simpkin, davies-uniacke, greenwood and thomas for that inside mid role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back