Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He got the ball a bit but did nothing with it. Hopefully just a bit rusty.
Prolly about 2 or 3 nice clean creative touches of the the 15 odd he had. Everyone can have a down day but like a lot of the blokes we have they are not going to get many opposition's this year the standard of Hawthorn. Iam concerned there will be some serious beltings when we meet the 14 odd middle and higher rated sides.

Powell was one of those potatoes today

Lol, had 21 touches, cracked in all day and I don’t think stood in a single center bounce, so did plenty with the amount of opportunity he got.

The grilling Ziebell gave him after Lewis pulled his pants down in the goal square was utterly embarrassing for an AFL captain to a young player of a dozen games

Lol, had 21 touches, cracked in all day and I don’t think stood in a single center bounce, so did plenty with the amount of opportunity he got.

The grilling Ziebell gave him after Lewis pulled his pants down in the goal square was utterly embarrassing for an AFL captain to a young player of a dozen games
Yeah, this. The criticism of him today was weird. 21 touches arguably being played out of position after being a late in and missing half of last year with OP. Super encouraging performance.

And the fumbly stuff doesn't bother me one iota because we know that it's an aberration and will rarely happen on that level again

Yep poor by JZ, he needed to own his stuff up

He isn't above (constructive) criticism.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We missed Polec's kicking today. Room for them both.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This. Anyone who thinks we can’t do with another bloke hoe can kick the aggot successfully to another player is deranged.

Polec, Perez, Curtis and Cunners would make a huge difference IMO

Our selection committee need an anthem - going TLC No Scrubs to be played at 4pm on the loud speaker every Thursday night as a gentle reminder.

Not his best but he still pulled off one of those handballs only he can muster in the third or fourth quarter. Clearly needs to ease back in.
He had 21 possessions, 8 contested. On raw numbers, his highest are 25 D, 10 Cont. and 23 D 7 Cont. tho he got 9 contested touches in his second game. (16 disposals then.) He took 8 marks, which he has done once before (in that 25 touch game I just mentioned.) But it was one of his better games. Top 3 or 4.

He had 21 possessions, 8 contested. On raw numbers, his highest are 25 D, 10 Cont. and 23 D 7 Cont. tho he got 9 contested touches in his second game. (16 disposals then.) He took 8 marks, which he has done once before (in that 25 touch game I just mentioned.) But it was one of his better games. Top 3 or 4.

Happy to defer to you on that, illuminating stat line.

Yep poor by JZ, he needed to own his stuff up
It wasn't really a stuff up. He was right to expect powell to come in from the side to help the contest. Ziebell was 1v1 with a 199cm KPF. They were were stationary and ziebell almost got it to ground level. Powell was unaware and too busy watching his opponent. Powell knew he should have helped. You can understand ziebell's frustration especially when he's always throwing himself in to help contests

It wasn't really a stuff up. He was right to expect powell to come in from the side to help the contest. Ziebell was 1v1 with a 199cm KPF. They were were stationary and ziebell almost got it to ground level. Powell was unaware and too busy watching his opponent. Powell knew he should have helped. You can understand ziebell's frustration especially when he's always throwing himself in to help contests
Wasn't that one a 1v1 with Gunston? Edit: NVM it was Lewis.

Part of our issue on the weekend was blokes not staying down.

Wasn't that one a 1v1 with Gunston? Edit: NVM it was Lewis.

Part of our issue on the weekend was blokes not staying down.
For sure. We are guilty of not communicating and all going up but on that occasion if it's ziebell it's your turn to go. He needed help wherever he could get it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back