Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. you think he's taking it easy?
He seems to run at 2/3 pace the entire game. Particularly defensively.
Sure, he’s not on his own there at NM, where token running back defensively is all the rage.
You could argue he is NM fit. But is he AFL fit? They are 2 very different levels of fitness.

Was close to his most complete game for the club I thought. Maybe not in terms of highlight reel but in terms of consistency. He's got a higher ceiling than a B grader I would have thought, he has a coach that knows what his best position is and is playing him in it.

Was close to his most complete game for the club I thought. Maybe not in terms of highlight reel but in terms of consistency. He's got a higher ceiling than a B grader I would have thought, he has a coach that knows what his best position is and is playing him in it.
His defensive work rate was up on previous games. I feel he has another gear to go still.

His defensive work rate was up on previous games. I feel he has another gear to go still.

Plenty of upside left yet. Noble's time as coach seemed to see quite a few of our young players regress rather than develop. He seems well back on track, and on his way to becoming a genuine A grader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are going to be one paced you have to be at least one of three things:

1. An elite contested ball winner
Or
2. An elite defensive runner
Or
3. A more outside accumulator who is damaging with their disposal.

I like Powell, but at the moment he is sort of middle of the road, has good games and terrible games but can’t seem to have an impact consistently.

He has done well to add size to his frame but if he is going to take his game to the next level he needs to be an elite runner. Needs to take a few notes out of Travis Boak’s book on how to play the game without much speed.

If you are going to be one paced you have to be at least one of three things:

1. An elite contested ball winner
Or
2. An elite defensive runner
Or
3. A more outside accumulator who is damaging with their disposal.

I like Powell, but at the moment he is sort of middle of the road, has good games and terrible games but can’t seem to have an impact consistently.

He has done well to add size to his frame but if he is going to take his game to the next level he needs to be an elite runner. Needs to take a few notes out of Travis Boak’s book on how to play the game without much speed.
It’s called fitness. He’s not fully fit or developed. Just need to pump games and time into him.

Genuine question, is he ever catching the mids he plays on in terms of tank? It's not like they've stopped working on theirs.
He will be similar to LDU in that way. Will show flashes, but have down games and patchy defensive games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back