Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis

Remove this Banner Ad

He and Ford compliment each other very nicely. Curtis is a bit smaller, but has a tad more zip (Ford is very quick, and is just ferocious.
They worked well together a couple of times.

We have depth everywhere except KPDs right now.

If Spicer comes along, a tag time of Curtis and Spicey boy would create havoc for teams.

We haven’t had two genuine pressure forwards like that since Thomas and Campbell.
if they both come on we'll have 3. you are forgetting the people's hairline jack mahony

if they both come on we'll have 3. you are forgetting the people's hairline jack mahony

While I appreciate Jack’s game and intensity he isn’t quite as dangerous or mercurial as the two mentioned above. Jack is more industrious rather than the X-Factor type who can bob up and wins games off his own boot. Obviously Spicer and Curtis have a long way to go before reaching that level though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I appreciate Jack’s game and intensity he isn’t quite as dangerous or mercurial as the two mentioned above. Jack is more industrious rather than the X-Factor type who can bob up and wins games off his own boot. Obviously Spicer and Curtis have a long way to go before reaching that level though.

Good post and excellently described.

Curtis is already the more dangerous and has to play, likely as sub initially.

Jack is a developing defensive midfielder and a fairly ordinary small forward, to think he’s that far ahead of Ford or Curtis is nonsensical.

I love the heat he brings, and he’s much more crafty that Turner ever was so no angst that he’s in the team whatsoever. He’s developing nicely.

at some point you have to say this guy plays round 1. he's stood out in both intraclubs now.

Locked-in like Larry King, Liam my child.

Reckon there’s a bit of Orazio Fantasia in the way he plays.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

at some point you have to say this guy plays round 1. he's stood out in both intraclubs now.

It really feels like these next couple of practice matches against Melbourne & Sydney will have a lot of meaning for how we line up come round 1. A lot of arguably fringe players have really been putting their best foot forward this preseason, going to be a squeeze for spots.

Paul Curtis impressed in his first full game of senior football, after showing strong signs of development in the second half of the AFL practice match against Melbourne.

Kicking two goals and two behinds in windy, greasy conditions, VFL senior coach Leigh Adams says Curtis’ development this pre-season has been pleasing.

“Paul is a really clever player who gets involved and knows how to get into space and lose his man. He was very good for us forward of the ball and probably could have kicked four or five,” Adams said.

“He looks really, really good. It’s just about him getting a bit of consistency throughout the four quarters rather than giving glimpses here and there.

“That consistency will come with more games under his belt as he continues to build that match fitness.”

Paul Curtis impressed in his first full game of senior football, after showing strong signs of development in the second half of the AFL practice match against Melbourne.

Kicking two goals and two behinds in windy, greasy conditions, VFL senior coach Leigh Adams says Curtis’ development this pre-season has been pleasing.

“Paul is a really clever player who gets involved and knows how to get into space and lose his man. He was very good for us forward of the ball and probably could have kicked four or five,” Adams said.

“He looks really, really good. It’s just about him getting a bit of consistency throughout the four quarters rather than giving glimpses here and there.

“That consistency will come with more games under his belt as he continues to build that match fitness.”

That's good news. I rate players that can get involved and kick goals particularly in ordinary weather. We need to find a way to get him in (or a similar type) the senior team. Structurally we need some pace in the forward line and extreme agility, even if it means moving a current best 22 type away (or out completely).

Hopefully he keeps up the form and is in the side pretty quickly, because the way I see it he can add a real point of difference to our forward half.

This kids has great goal sense and seems to bob up in the right spots. We really haven’t had a dangerous small forward with genuine pace since Lindsay Thomas, well not a good one that opposition coaches fear.

Hopefully he keeps up the form and is in the side pretty quickly, because the way I see it he can add a real point of difference to our forward half.

This kids has great goal sense and seems to bob up in the right spots. We really haven’t had a dangerous small forward with genuine pace since Lindsay Thomas, well not a good one that opposition coaches fear.

Cal Twomey was on the wireless the other morning and named him as one draftee who he thinks will be up and about early doors and really surprise.

Last edited:

So its only match fitness that's really keeping him out of having a run in the senior squad.
Good to hear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back