Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we know he ain't giving it up.

The mental strength of this bloke has to be admired. 300 shoulder recos, issues with his leg and he's still pushing to get into the team.

Digressing for a second, seriously would Spare keys have been back on the field quicker if we'd amputated his toe?

The mental strength of this bloke has to be admired. 300 shoulder recos, issues with his leg and he's still pushing to get into the team.

Digressing for a second, seriously would Spare keys have been back on the field quicker if we'd amputated his toe?
Okay, an exaggeration for sure. May be more accurate to say he's had more shoulder recos than games played? ;)

He could probably have played but would have been Black-like-useful and probably risked hurting it again.

Its funny when i suggested Taz moving back i got slammed from many on this board.
Good to see the club is thinking that way as if(big if) he can get fit he could make a go of that role.

I also copped the wrath of this forum for suggesting Taz be played in the backline. And I made this suggestion more than a year ago....

In any case, I still maintain that he has the height, strength and aerobic capacity to match it with the likes of Hawkins, Cloke and Buddy.

The guy is built like a brick sh - house and stands 196cm tall. This makes him the same height as Cloke and Buddy, and only 1cm shorter than Hawkins. He will be very difficult to push around, unlike Scooter, Spud and Narni, who were mere rag dolls in the presence of the gorillas mentioned.

Given our glaring deficiency in this area for the last 3-4 years, Taz's move to the back line could possibly be one of the most important strategic moves for our club going forward.

I also copped the wrath of this forum for suggesting Taz be played in the backline. And I made this suggestion more than a year ago....

In any case, I still maintain that he has the height, strength and aerobic capacity to match it with the likes of Hawkins, Cloke and Buddy.

The guy is built like a brick sh - house and stands 196cm tall. This makes him the same height as Cloke and Buddy, and only 1cm shorter than Hawkins. He will be very difficult to push around, unlike Scooter, Spud and Narni, who were mere rag dolls in the presence of the gorillas mentioned.

Given our glaring deficiency in this area for the last 3-4 years, Taz's move to the back line could possibly be one of the most important strategic moves for our club going forward.
Wasn't he played in the backline early in his career?

Not agile enough to be chasing gun FF's around.
Reiwoldts x 2, Buddy, Tippett, Texan, Kennedy would all burn him in the first 3 metres of a one on one contest and god forbid if the ball hit the deck.

I have a feeling this time next year he will be toast.

Not agile enough to be chasing gun FF's around.
Reiwoldts x 2, Buddy, Tippett, Texan, Kennedy would all burn him in the first 3 metres of a one on one contest and god forbid if the ball hit the deck.

I have a feeling this time next year he will be toast.
Yeah tend to agree with his lack of pace etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"They (Tarrant and Delaney) are two big, strong guys who are capable of playing in key defence and hopefully they give the (Scott) Thompson’s and the (Nathan) Grima’s and the (Lachlan) Hansen’s the opportunity to get a bit of a chop-out.”

Tarrant sure, but is he referring to Luke Delaney? : s

"They (Tarrant and Delaney) are two big, strong guys who are capable of playing in key defence and hopefully they give the (Scott) Thompson’s and the (Nathan) Grima’s and the (Lachlan) Hansen’s the opportunity to get a bit of a chop-out.”

Tarrant sure, but is he referring to Luke Delaney? : s

Cameron.

I'd audition Taz against Turner and if he can beat Turner in a show of strength I'd try him against Boomer and then LT, and so on.

You can't afford to be dropping soda overhead marks or being out-jostled in defence. He'd be exploited by the opposition every week.

Hope I'm wrong (again).

Our back line has no space for Robbie.

I'm guessing we think will be better served as more impirtant depth there than up forward, probably right too.

I'm not convinced on Taz. Has plenty of injury concerns. Even before he got injured his agility was poor and is very flat footed. Only a handfull of players he would be suited to playing on as a defender and they would be Hawkins, Cloke, Tippett and Patton. I think he could be a good swing man but i think his best spot is deep forward not venturing further than 40m out. His attributes suit being that clunk mark deep forward type player as an outlet kick into 50 if there is no other clear option. A player we can kick long and high too when under the pump to get a genuine contest. Too slow to be played on quick centre half forwards or out of the 50.

Its a the best move for Tarrant going forward. We can bring him in for certain type of gorilla forwards and give him a break when up against teams without them. I agree he is a talent but just keeping him on the park is the biggest problem. If he cant have an impact down back then I think he days are done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back