Autopsy 26 point win against West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what the solution is in the short term, but we desperately need bigger bodied midfielders.

It doesn't happen every week, but we just seem to have no answer when someone like Dangerfield or Taranto or Yeo or Petracca start to get on top.

Feel like we're in this weird place where our best players are hurting us as much as they're helping us.

Gulden always looking to kick when dishing it off by hands is better. Warner thinking he can break every tackle. Papley thinking he can dance around every tackle. Blakey missing as many kicks as he's nailing.

These are the guys we're building a game plan around but they're not entirely justifying that faith yet. I'd just like to see them be more like Heeney and know when they need to fire their 'weapons' and when to do the basics, team things etc.

It's probably a good place to be in, if your best players have as much to work on in their games as say our bottom six players. You back them to get a little humbled and learn and improve.

Of course it's all meaningless if the whole collective don't sort out the very clear confidence issues running through the team atm.

Honestly didn't think Heeney had it in him to play at such a high level so consistently. It has been a welcome surprise.

Gulden is getting more attention than last year but is still doing well to impact the game and seems to be building into the season really well.

On the negative side we need to bring in some tackling coaches and really put a focus on improving it. Some of our players have terrible tackling techniques where they come in on the wrong angle, try to tackle too high up and don't drive their legs through the tackle and just get brushed off easily. Our players should be looking at Heeney to see what a fantastic tackling technique looks like.

Feel like we're in this weird place where our best players are hurting us as much as they're helping us.

Gulden always looking to kick when dishing it off by hands is better. Warner thinking he can break every tackle. Papley thinking he can dance around every tackle. Blakey missing as many kicks as he's nailing.

These are the guys we're building a game plan around but they're not entirely justifying that faith yet. I'd just like to see them be more like Heeney and know when they need to fire their 'weapons' and when to do the basics, team things etc.

It's probably a good place to be in, if your best players have as much to work on in their games as say our bottom six players. You back them to get a little humbled and learn and improve.

Of course it's all meaningless if the whole collective don't sort out the very clear confidence issues running through the team atm.
Warner has been really annoying me. The fend off has become the only thing he thinks of even when there are clear hand ball targets all around him and at times he sees the goals and completely forgets what team first football looks like. You hope he gets the sort of feedback that will see him reassess how he is playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner has been really annoying me. The fend off has become the only thing he thinks of even when there are clear hand ball targets all around him and at times he sees the goals and completely forgets what team first football looks like. You hope he gets the sort of feedback that will see him reassess how he is playing.

i would be reluctant to change the way warner plays ... he makes things happen
he might need regular "attitude" reminders but he is among the reasons we're going to be a very good side

Totally this. We forget how much he gets away with, he gets caught once or twice a match, but does so much more around those
I actually think the complete opposite. To me he does so much frustrating shit that he's then forgiven for cause he pulls them off a small handful of times. Interesting how we all see things differently.

Was a frustrating game to watch. This team has a lot of work to do to become a genuine threat.

Horse needs to spend the rest of the season which of our players have the softest underbelly and replace them.

Too many players go to water at the slightest bit of pressure.

Lack of true leadership? someone to get them sorted during a game?

Lack of true leadership? someone to get them sorted during a game?
I don't really know but if I had to guess I think it needs to happen on field with the leaders and off field with the coaches.

On-field so they can get a clip when they need it, and off field during match vision sessions so they can learn when and how to achieve that balance between their natural games and the team things.

i would be reluctant to change the way warner plays ... he makes things happen
he might need regular "attitude" reminders but he is among the reasons we're going to be a very good side
Yeah he should get some leeway because he can break games open but that just means you have to pull him back when he moves in the wrong direction otherwise he will take more and more risks until he becomes a liability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back