Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and given Duck is indigenous (don't @ me folks) there's every chance Tarry could fill out in a similar way.

I still reckon he'll end up more like Goodes.

Have to ask...
Your statement Duck is indigenous...

Is his father aboriginal?
His mother?
If he is say 1/4 aboriginal ....then most wld say he is indigenous
But Carey played like a White guy excuse non pc lingo

Have to ask...
Your statement Duck is indigenous...

Is his father aboriginal?
His mother?
If he is say 1/4 aboriginal ....then most wld say he is indigenous
But Carey played like a White guy excuse non pc lingo

His Dad is indigenous. Duck talks about it in his book. But because his Dad is such a flog he doesn't acknowledge anything from him.

Played like a white guy is a bit much, there's a hell of a lot of Buddy Franklin is what they both do.

For the record, I don't think he'll end up like either Carey or Goodes, and I struggle with the idea that there are aboriginal or white traits in footballers.

If pushed I would predict him as a player that will predominately play half a kick behind the ball to set up plays, and swing forward for stints. A blend of Goddard with the vision, kicking and x factor of Darren Jarman, with a slightly better marking capacity than either of them.

...I struggle with the idea that there are aboriginal or white traits in footballers.

Yep. With good reason, it's a nonsense IMO.

If pushed I would predict him as a player that will predominately play half a kick behind the ball to set up plays, and swing forward for stints. A blend of Goddard with the vision, kicking and x factor of Darren Jarman, with a slightly better marking capacity than either of them.

I could see that Goddard comparison. There are signs already though that he'll have a harder edge (yes, not that difficult I know).

Doubt he'll be as nuggety as Jack - more like a thicker Jack Gunston I reckon.
Just trying to figure out the logic. If he is 1/4 indigenous, he is obviously 3/4 white, how can you say his traits ect. Come from being indigenous, the non indigenous would be more than likely genetically dominant. And to be honest, does it really matter as long as he's performs!

Some lofty expectations in here. Hopefully posters talking him up as the second coming don't smash him if he takes a while to come on / fill out. We will be damn lucky if he reaches 90% of Goodes /Carey / Jarman / Burgoyne, etc. He seems to do his best work at stoppages

I think he will change positions over time and could be quite a unique player. The first Tarryn Thomas. I am excited for the ride.

Bit perplexed by some willful ignorance here
Wells Winston krakouers
They play A CERTAIN WAY FFS
krakouers were brothers. known for having a great connection
Winston was a highly skilled small forward known for high amazing leap
Well was a silky smooth and highly skilled midfielder.

They all played very differently, and the brothers played... well like brothers.

You could put practically any other skilled footballer in there that are not indigenous and they would be just as much of a comparison. The only thing that is different about those players is moreso that they tend to share a close bond with other indigenous players. That is it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not down with the white/indigenous "ways of playing" thing.

That said the Irish fellas have a very distinct way of playing.

Although they're not all white.

I'm not down with the white/indigenous "ways of playing" thing.

That said the Irish fellas have a very distinct way of playing.

Although they're not all white.

Bingo. It's the system not the individual that people are referencing here.

"Indigenous" players have typically been drafted out of country WA, country SA and to a lesser extent NT.

I'd guess most have been playing in dryer conditions, wide expanses in less defensively structured sides with less rigorous programs around their off-field approach.

The kids that shine in that system are generally going to be quick, skillful, creative and play a more offensive style.

"White" players have typically been drafted out of metropolitan Victoria, SA, WA.

More of these players would be coming through defensively structured school systems aimed at winning as a unit. Typically these would have more rigorous programs around off-field approach -leadership programs, "mission statements", diet, cross-training etc.

The kids that shine in that system are generally going to articulate themselves well to garner leadership roles, play defined on-field roles and have a disciplined approach to diet and conditioning.

Of course the above are generalisations. The point is that the system itself will inherently favour and reward certain traits. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but the "white" kids from remote communities and the "indigenous" kids from the cities will probably play and show traits matching their supposed opposite camp.

Bingo. It's the system not the individual that people are referencing here.

"Indigenous" players have typically been drafted out of country WA, country SA and to a lesser extent NT.

I'd guess most have been playing in dryer conditions, wide expanses in less defensively structured sides with less rigorous programs around their off-field approach.

The kids that shine in that system are generally going to be quick, skillful, creative and play a more offensive style.

"White" players have typically been drafted out of metropolitan Victoria, SA, WA.

More of these players would be coming through defensively structured school systems aimed at winning as a unit. Typically these would have more rigorous programs around off-field approach -leadership programs, "mission statements", diet, cross-training etc.

The kids that shine in that system are generally going to articulate themselves well to garner leadership roles, play defined on-field roles and have a disciplined approach to diet and conditioning.

Of course the above are generalisations. The point is that the system itself will inherently favour and reward certain traits. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but the "white" kids from remote communities and the "indigenous" kids from the cities will probably play and show traits matching their supposed opposite camp.

Also, what percentage of indigenous guys are Noongar?

Noongars have a fairly typical body shape and manner of athleticism that then defines their footy.

And given the strong family networks, and having had so many guys play before, they are likely to model themselves on older cousins etc.

The discussion of white vs indigenous playing styles reminds me of the reasoning for the differences between the Americans and Europeans with basketball and soccer.

The theory is that in America kids learn most of their skills and instincts playing basketball in the playground, so in theory they learn a more creative and more erratic style of play. In Europe basketball is mainly played at club level, so kids are raised to play a more structured style. The reverse is true for Soccer, where European kids who learn the game playing on the streets of Spain (or wherever) tend to become the players who play with a lot of flair and excitement to their game.

Just about all football played in Victoria is highly organised and highly coached. If you compare that learning experience to a young kid growing up in a remote community in WA, then you'd find it pretty obvious that both situations would produce a different kind of footballer.

Last edited:
Hasn't he put on something like 10kgs in that past year?

He looks taller than 189cm also.
Confirmed that he was still growing late last year.

The 188-189cm measurement came from much earlier in the year

The discussion of white vs indigenous playing styles reminds me of the reasoning for the differences between the Americans and Europeans with basketball and soccer.

The theory is that In America kids learn most of their skills and instincts playing basketball in the playground, so in theory they learn a more creative and more erratic style of play. In Europe basketball is mainly played at club level, so kids are raised to play a more structured style. The reverse is true for Soccer, where European kids who learn the game playing on the streets of Spain (or wherever) tend to become the players who play with a lot of flair and excitement to their game.

Just about all football played in Victoria is highly organised and highly coached. If you compare that learning experience to a young kid growing up in a remote community in WA, then you'd find it pretty obvious that both situations would produce a different kind of footballer.
That is my point, it is more about where and how you played and developed in you formative years than what your genetic traits are.

That is my point, it is more about where and how you played and developed in you formative years than what your genetic traits are.

Environment actually shapes genetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back