Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion of white vs indigenous playing styles reminds me of the reasoning for the differences between the Americans and Europeans with basketball and soccer.

The theory is that in America kids learn most of their skills and instincts playing basketball in the playground, so in theory they learn a more creative and more erratic style of play. In Europe basketball is mainly played at club level, so kids are raised to play a more structured style. The reverse is true for Soccer, where European kids who learn the game playing on the streets of Spain (or wherever) tend to become the players who play with a lot of flair and excitement to their game.

Just about all football played in Victoria is highly organised and highly coached. If you compare that learning experience to a young kid growing up in a remote community in WA, then you'd find it pretty obvious that both situations would produce a different kind of footballer.

The style of soccer played in Europe is definitely different to the style of soccer played in South America.

That's also true for Aussie rules if you compare the styles of play from somewhere like the Tiwi islands, Tennant Creek or in the places that feed clubs around Darwin, (possibly true for lots of WA as well tho IDK really,) to that in Suburban Melbourne footy schools and ppossibly lots of established country leagues especially in Vic and Tassie.

Its not necessarily racist to recognise that even if you articulate it poorly.

I don't think TT will be able to do a heck of a lot at AFL level until his core strength and endurance are both a lot higher. He's an impact player without the bulk at the moment and will be gassed too quick at the top level.
until then park him in the pocket to take screamers and kick goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The style of soccer played in Europe is definitely different to the style of soccer played in South America.

That's also true for Aussie rules if you compare the styles of play from somewhere like the Tiwi islands, Tennant Creek or in the places that feed clubs around Darwin, (possibly true for lots of WA as well tho IDK really,) to that in Suburban Melbourne footy schools and ppossibly lots of established country leagues especially in Vic and Tassie.

Its not necessarily racist to recognise that even if you articulate it poorly.
Oh, and how would you articulate this as for how Wayne Carey plays like a white man?

I wouldn't but he's obviously referring to the way duck was a traditional KPF target who relied more on strength in contests and traditional disposal than the sort of athleticism and flair that most people associate with blackfellas playing football.

That's not to say he didn't have flair and athleticism either.

I wouldn't but he's obviously referring to the way duck was a traditional KPF target who relied more on strength in contests and traditional disposal than the sort of athleticism and flair that most people associate with blackfellas playing football.

That's not to say he didn't have flair and athleticism either.
So how are non white men not KPF targets, or not rely on strength in contests or traditional disposals? There are plenty of examples of quick skilled white men and strong big KPFs that arn't...

And more importantly, why say that this is 'obvious'?

So how are non white men not KPF targets, or not rely on strength in contests or traditional disposals? There are plenty of examples of quick skilled white men and strong big KPFs that arn't...

And more importantly, why say that this is 'obvious'?

It was obvious that was what he meant. It's always what people mean when they say that. Its also why the sort of presumptions you're whinging about are so prevalent in our society.

But what i said was that the style of football played in remote indigenous communities is different to that played in country leagues in SE Australia and High Schools in The AFL states particularly Melbourne.

Do you have a problem with that?

good to see this bubbling along....
duck played like a white man, as i phrased it, becos he was built like a Greek god, to mix my metaphors....but I sort of meant he played an aggressive in your face take no prisoners style

Personally i dont have a problem with observing that a lot of aboriginal players have certain footballing characteristics of awareness and touch that non-aborigiinals dont However in the spirit of Reconciliation on australia day might be best to let this subject go

No doubt we can all enjoy Simkin Ahern and Ando and their special skills in the coming year

It was obvious that was what he meant. It's always what people mean when they say that. Its also why the sort of presumptions you're whinging about are so prevalent in our society.

But what i said was that the style of football played in remote indigenous communities is different to that played in country leagues in SE Australia and High Schools in The AFL states particularly Melbourne.

Do you have a problem with that?
I'm whinging am I? No I'm asking you to explain your further statements about how its obvious a KP thing. Which I see that you are not. I mean, if I look back at the last 15 years and look at the 5 people who played most like Carey, goods would be in it and buddy would be at the top.

To say that the style of football played in remote indigenous communities is different is a non point, and kinda just further shows some kind of unconscious bias that just puts a race into a single boat. I'm sure its different between those communities themselves, its different back in my hometown league from Melbourne leagues for instance.

I'm whinging am I? No I'm asking you to explain your further statements about how its obvious a KP thing. Which I see that you are not. I mean, if I look back at the last 15 years and look at the 5 people who played most like Carey, goods would be in it and buddy would be at the top.

To say that the style of football played in remote indigenous communities is different is a non point, and kinda just further shows some kind of unconscious bias that just puts a race into a single boat. I'm sure its different between those communities themselves, its different back in my hometown league from Melbourne leagues for instance.

I don’t think you’re whinging but I think you’re taking offence where none was intended.

I also think it’s pretty fair to say that indigenous football history is not littered with big key position forwards. Yes buddy is a freak and Goodes was a gun (though not and all time great KPF). Hey I might be missing 1 or 2 others but other than buddy how many indigenous players have won the Coleman? How many have won a Brownlow?

MealyMildKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

I don’t think you’re whinging but I think you’re taking offence where none was intended.

I also think it’s pretty fair to say that indigenous football history is not littered with big key position forwards. Yes buddy is a freak and Goodes was a gun (though not and all time great KPF). Hey I might be missing 1 or 2 others but other than buddy how many indigenous players have won the Coleman? How many have won a Brownlow?
They have hardly had much of a chance to litter KP forwards mate. While we currently have 10 percent of AFL players as indigenous (http://community.afl/indigenous/players), it has exploded only recently.

Poverty, socio economic factors, and general racism in sport and life in general played a large role in there being very few opportunities for them to enter football as a paid professional. Before the 80's, there was just a handful of players. Something like 20 players between the turn of the 19th century through till the 1970s. Polly Farmer was one. It was actually the Krakouers and the advent of the Eagles entering the comp that we aboriginals formed any identity at all in the game.

I mean, we can still keep thinking that indigenous people are 'generally' not strong or KP, but I recommend having a good look at those pictures from the link I posted. There is no 'typical' indigenous player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back