Senior 26. Tom Hawkins (2007-)

Remove this Banner Ad

With the speculation on Doak , I sat down and watched the tape of the U18 champs again and of course TH.

Lookin at it cold , when I knew what he was going to do I , was still impressed with his marking ability.He has an elite set of mitts no doubt and it will provide him plenty of set shots in the future. But TH is no finished peice of work.
He is simply an awesome size and is in need of professional assitance in getting his body shaped into the weapon thats under that boy like shell.
He also need to work on his kicking. He is not a bad kick ,I say again he is NOT a BAD kick.I like every Geelong support has had enough bloke that cant put a ball on their boot to ensure accurate results but he is not what Id call an elite kick. Proficient yes , Excellent No. 2 or 3 times in the game he lead up an took a strong pack mark up the ground , he then went back and kicked it forward to the oposition. A hand pass to a slippery ball handler would have been much better IMO.

I'm being picky because of all the positive stuff but there is work to be done. Even a gift horse must be worked to win races

__tom_hawkinst%281%29-140-x-200.jpg

Tom Hawkins

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 26
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 105 kg
DOB: 27 July 1988
Recruited From: Melbourne Grammar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: No. 26 Tom Hawkins

The big number twenty-six from MGS has had a successful start to his AFL career. Two bags of four and one bag of three - it is not heard of from a player who has played a handful of games.

Who knows how much he has left to feature in 2007, but we will see alot more of this machine in years time.

VFL - 9th June Report

Tomma was pretty disappointing today. He played between FF and CHF alternating with Charlie. Don't like him to much up the ground. Seems to get lost in play and doesn't push back far enough. (Got told a few times from the boundary that he is up to far). He'll be dirty with himself, when the ball finally got disposed well to him he dropped the mark. Had a good effort getting a holding the ball decision. Played on Chris Grant for a fair bit.

^ Generally agree.

That said, I guess a positive, if anything, to come out of Tom's game today was the sheer fact that he got his hands on the ball. Would have ended up with a dozen touches and 10 marks, which I guess is one fulfillment of sending him down in the first place - to get a good, decent run, and play a game.

I will say though, his kicking in general play today was alot better than what he's shown in the seniors to date. Took the extra few seconds to size up the options, and deliver some quality passes to leading teammates.

Re: tom hawkins

Will porbs sturggle to make the team until later in the year (or if we get an injury). Would be in 14 other teams at the moment.

To be honest it was always going to be tough for him to come from schoolboy footy into the AFL. His fitness was so far below standard that he really struggled aerobic wise and also injury wise, i.e. shin splints.

So it would be a while until he comes back, maybe not this year. I would like to see him back in if he is fit, however I don't think this is the case and who would you drop.

He will be a gun for us, there is no doubt, of course barring injury. However he has to come along slowly, as he may face the same problems as Nathan had in his second year, where knee and ankle problems constantly flared up.

He wasn't too bad on Sunday in VFL side. I did wonder why he didn't use his long kick a couple of times but it was very wet then. Moved around the ground but without any surprises - he'll be OK but is better off in the 2s still. The ruck role occasionally seemed a good idea too. We have such high expectations of him - ultimately they'll be borne out.

Very clever footballer too. Noticed at one stage in the 2nd quarter I think Geelong got a free kick in the forwardline and someone played on and goaled, but advantage was disallowed. The ball was kicked into the crowd, but when it was thrown back, Hawkins noticed the umpire was busy marking out where the man on the mark should be, so Hawkins swapped the wet, heavy ball with a dry one from the bag behind the goals. :D:thumbsu:

Very clever footballer too. Noticed at one stage in the 2nd quarter I think Geelong got a free kick in the forwardline and someone played on and goaled, but advantage was disallowed. The ball was kicked into the crowd, but when it was thrown back, Hawkins noticed the umpire was busy marking out where the man on the mark should be, so Hawkins swapped the wet, heavy ball with a dry one from the bag behind the goals. :D:thumbsu:

Was the goal kicked?

nah just keep him in the 2's. he hasnt done enough in recent weeks to warrant selection.

the tall blokes take longer to develop and he has plenty of time ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back