Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't or would :think:

I would pick up an A grade potential KPF if there - first priority for us in 2022. (unless and A grade mid was available for a trade for pick 18)

Damn these computers and my inability to write proper like

The fact he's played every minute of pre season on Jack says a fair bit to me. Could've eased him into it on Samson or something but nah chuck him on the 11 time Michael Roach medallist.

:padlock:
Na he'd learn a lot more from playing on Jack, and a kid like Samson would learn a lot more being manned by Tarrant and Grimes.

I would pick up an A grade potential KPF if there - first priority for us in 2022. (unless and A grade mid was available for a trade for pick 18)

Damn these computers and my inability to write proper like
It's all good.
I guess it depends on a number of factors KP wise.
On paper we look ok if Miller/Biggie/Sampson show something this year.
FA targets etc.
Hopefully at 18 we go best available.😁

It's all good.
I guess it depends on a number of factors KP wise.
On paper we look ok if Miller/Biggie/Sampson show something this year.
FA targets etc.
Hopefully at 18 we go best available.😁

Lots of moving parts of course. If, and it's definitely an if, our talls come good then we are in a lovely space going forward. Almost a complete rebuild whilst winning premierships. But only Balta has really been tested, and shown to be good.

I'd still go a high end KPF if one was available. But we will see.

And didn't he bag out poor old Lennon!!! :D ;)

Campaigner but i was referring to somebody else

images

Last edited:
I think theres a hell of a lot of hype because he is pick 9.As far as im concerned he is just another kid on the list who has to earn his stripes.
Just because a youngster is highly rated it doesnt automatically mean they will be a star.LET HIM PROVE HIMSELF and then laud him as the next great thing.

At this point in time with list weakness in mind i still think pick 9 should have gone on one the mids still available. And pick 17 on a key forward or one the remaining highly touted mids..

What i dont get is the little regard we have for the developing tall defenders we have. With Tarrant coming over we have three blokes 22 and under and no one wants to talk about them apart from the established one in Balta and the super hero pick 9.

Hello we kept Nyuon and Miller and we have Balta.If they are any good then taking Gibcus was unnecesary but going by the lack of love for the other two i can only assume they are duds.

I think theres a hell of a lot of hype because he is pick 9.As far as im concerned he is just another kid on the list who has to earn his stripes.
Just because a youngster is highly rated it doesnt automatically mean they will be a star.LET HIM PROVE HIMSELF and then laud him as the next great thing.

At this point in time with list weakness in mind i still think pick 9 should have gone on one the mids still available. And pick 17 on a key forward or one the remaining highly touted mids..

What i dont get is the little regard we have for the developing tall defenders we have. With Tarrant coming over we have three blokes 22 and under and no one wants to talk about them apart from the established one in Balta and the super hero pick 9.

Hello we kept Nyuon and Miller and we have Balta.If they are any good then taking Gibcus was unnecesary but going by the lack of love for the other two i can only assume they are duds.
Did you watch today? From what I saw, he showed more than enough. All three of the players you mentioned hopefully keep developing, but it is clearly obvious Gibcus' athletic ability and footy smarts/skills is at another level. He may be 4 years behind in senior football compared to Miller, but it would not surprise me to see him go past pretty quickly. As you said, Miller is well trained physically and with the game plan though, and I'd hope gets first crack though early in the season should the opportunity arise with injury to one of the KPDs.

Great signs that you wouldn’t have drafted him Mopsy. Last time you rounded on our recruiting staff we won 3 flags with the list they had drafted. 😍

He'll get killed. Still has some serious growth required before replacing Balta in the backline imo.
Miller is ahead of Gibcus at this stage .
Don't think there's a spot in the side for Gibcus yet .
Tarrant
Grimes
Broad
Balta *
Floss
Short
Rioli
Mansell
Gibcus looks too have the ability but his size as expected for a kid will stop him from playing on the 1st and 2nd best key forward's .He could probably play on a 3rd forward if injuries hit .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miller is ahead of Gibcus at this stage .
Don't think there's a spot in the side for Gibcus yet .
Tarrant
Grimes
Broad
Balta *
Floss
Short
Rioli
Mansell
Gibcus looks too have the ability but his size as expected for a kid will stop him from playing on the 1st and 2nd best key forward's .He could probably play on a 3rd forward if injuries hit .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, Gibcus looks fantastic and I'm sure he's probably comparable to Andrews, Weitering, Taylor etc at the same age, but I'd be very happy to school him through the Magoos until he has more of a physical presence before asking him to stand up in senior footy. Especially while we're currently well kitted out in that area.

Love the references to Lennon.
Ahh ... the memories.
One poster had me banned for two weeks over him as you were not allowed to critique his game, while he gushed over him.
Was really going to eat my words, he informed me, as Bruce Lennon's third-world cousin hired a running coach one pre-season.
The poster was almost convinced young Ben was going t be transformed from some maiden plodder in the 2800m at the picnics at Yea into a Group 1 Lightning Stakes winner.
He found his niche - in a game where his lack of speed and smarts aren't needed. Just put it on the boot and set sail.
Gibcus will be nothing like Lennon, thank the Lord!

If Brown is as good as the whispers and Sonsie has the most upside, choosing Gibcus at 9 (instead of Hobbs who appears to have a definite ceiling as an inside extractor) with his own seemingly high upside, might be seen in future years as a brilliant coup.

Come to think of it, it's weird that the Bombres chose Hobbs with their plethora of short, inside mids. Perhaps just took the best player on the board at 13 (11?) which he clearly was.

We still have one and he goes by many names mainly comes around when list management is being discussed and never gives any player any credit when winning but always pots the team when we lose. See if you might know who it might be ?
200.gif

If Brown is as good as the whispers and Sonsie has the most upside, choosing Gibcus at 9 (instead of Hobbs who appears to have a definite ceiling as an inside extractor) with his own seemingly high upside, might be seen in future years as a brilliant coup.

Come to think of it, it's weird that the Bombres chose Hobbs with their plethora of short, inside mids. Perhaps just took the best player on the board at 13 (11?) which he clearly was.
I think we were also very keen on Jye Amiss who went to Freo the pick before Gibcus.

Look still early days, but all reports point to him being an absolute star for the future (not to put any unecessary pressure on him)
Of course we should temper our expectations since he is a first year player after all, and KPPs need a bit longer to develop, especially size wise.
But I thought he was impressive against Jack in the intraclub. Depending on how he holds up in the pre season games he could well be in line for a Round 1 debut. These Ben Lennon comparions are harsh at best, and uncalled for at worst. Kid hasn't even played his first game man...

He just looks to me to be a very promising and professional kid. An honest player, and I suspect he will be a mainstay in our back 6 sooner than people realise. I know this is contradicting myself with tempering expectations, but I'm gonna jump early and say he is a future All Australian. Will go on to play 200 plus games for us. Win a flag or 2 of course...

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on the discussion happening here...

Look still early days, but all reports point to him being an absolute star for the future (not to put any unecessary pressure on him)
Of course we should temper our expectations since he is a first year player after all, and KPPs need a bit longer to develop, especially size wise.
But I thought he was impressive against Jack in the intraclub. Depending on how he holds up in the pre season games he could well be in line for a Round 1 debut. These Ben Lennon comparions are harsh at best, and uncalled for at worst. Kid hasn't even played his first game man...

He just looks to me to be a very promising and professional kid. An honest player, and I suspect he will be a mainstay in our back 6 sooner than people realise. I know this is contradicting myself with tempering expectations, but I'm gonna jump early and say he is a future All Australian. Will go on to play 200 plus games for us. Win a flag or 2 of course...

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on the discussion happening here...
Take saturdays game with a grain of salt.Jack/Tarrant & Grimes provided on the job training.
Hopefully he gets a go on Cameron next week at some stage where he can put Saturdays learnings into abit more meaningful action.
He's going to be a star though.

Take saturdays game with a grain of salt.Jack/Tarrant & Grimes provided on the job training.
Hopefully he gets a go on Cameron next week at some stage where he can put Saturdays learnings into abit more meaningful action.
He's going to be a star though.
Would love to see him get some time on Jeremy Cameron next weekend. Cameron is absolutely lighting up the track by all reports so it would either be a complete disaster or a huge opportunity to make a case for senior selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back