Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the thing if we play him we don’t need to necessarily play him in the key position role
We have the bigger blokes to take on the gorillas if he moves well we can just match him up on a smaller player or 3rd tall like you mentioned

We had Mansell slot right in last season and Stack played back in his first season and if anything Gibbo is bigger than those two blokes
Stack 178
Mansell 180
Gibcus 195 (197)

Screenshot_20220207-133014.png

Stack 178
Mansell 180
Gibcus 195 (197)

View attachment 1323520
I meant more weight and bulk
Seemed to be some concern that he was to lean and would get thrown out of the contests but we have had a few first year players cut teeth playing a defensive role so don’t think he will struggle

I meant more weight and bulk
Seemed to be some concern that he was to lean and would get thrown out of the contests but we have had a few first year players cut teeth playing a defensive role so don’t think he will struggle
I think his athleticism and leap makes him ideally suited for the 3rd tall/intercept role Moose. He wouldn't be ready to wrestle with the gorillas for a few years yet agreed.

Broad can play both short and tall. If Gibcus IS ready to go early in the season and Grimes recovers ok and is fit, it's an embarrassment of riches really.

For all I know, even if the Gibcat is ready they may make him earn his stripes in the twos/force his way in.

Will day was 189cm 76kgs wen drafted and played 11 games in 2020

Josh Gibcus 197cm 87kgs and most likely gained 2-3kgs since he arrived in october 5 months training with Richmond you would expect he is around 90kg's

Sorry Jak, don’t agree at all. He’s going to an outstanding player for us, injuries permitting

Will be is too far.

But, he has every sign of being a vital piece in future tigers premierships is probably and OK way to go.

Tall elite intercept marking CHBs are in short supply and absolutely key to premiership nowadays. If he is as good as they think then we got a bargain! Top 5 worthy player for 9. Then we pillaged the rest of the draft with our picks. Some very high potential players there - so our development team had better get it right. We've got a contending group of kids right now -and Gibcus is central to that.

I wanted Gibcus pre draft as we needed to bolster our future KPD stocks with Astbury retiring, Grimes over 30, and Tarrant being a relatively short term fix.

Interesting comment from Riewoldt today:
Gibcus has played every single minute on me [in the pre-season] and I think he is going to be a very special player that the Richmond faithful should be very excited about what he brings,” he said.

I find that interesting, he's spent his whole time playing on what would be the second/third tall forward, rather than mixing it up on the super athletic types like Balta, or the gorillas like Lynch.

It's smart when you think about it, if he does play early or at all this year, it will likely be on those second or third talls.

I wanted Gibcus pre draft as we needed to bolster our future KPD stocks with Astbury retiring, Grimes over 30, and Tarrant being a relatively short term fix.

Gibcus has played every single minute on me [in the pre-season] and I think he is going to be a very special player that the Richmond faithful should be very excited about what he brings,” he said.

I find that interesting, he's spent his whole time playing on what would be the second/third tall forward, rather than mixing it up on the super athletic types like Balta, or the gorillas like Lynch.

It's smart when you think about it, if he does play early or at all this year, it will likely be on those second or third talls.

And JR is playing on possibly the smartest KPF going around. You want him to learn, give him as a mentor the smartest guy in the room. Speed up his learning about what tricks there are.

Jack is a very smart footballer and that’s the piece that’s usually missing from a young player. But that’s a good catch.

Personally I thought he’d play early, intercept defenders tend to debut young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reading between the lines jack pumping his tyres tells me he might be a bust and needs a bit of confidence
Weak troll TG (or sarcasm filter noted).. lift your game. It is clear one thing Gibcus doesn't lack is confidence. It is likely he has already stepped into Dimma's office, closed the door and said ...

"Look Dimma, about round one, I hope you've got me starting on the ground rather the bench".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weak troll TG (or sarcasm filter noted).. lift your game. It is clear one thing Gibcus doesn't lack is confidence. It is likely he has already stepped into Dimma's office, closed the door and said ...

"Look Dimma, about round one, I hope you've got me starting on the ground rather the bench".

Wish Groupie was still around, there was a troll you could set your watch too!

Wish Groupie was still around, there was a troll you could set your watch too!
We still have one and he goes by many names mainly comes around when list management is being discussed and never gives any player any credit when winning but always pots the team when we lose. See if you might know who it might be ?

We still have one and he goes by many names mainly comes around when list management is being discussed and never gives any player any credit when winning but always pots the team when we lose. See if you might know who it might be ?

Groupie is good value because he drives oppos and mods insane. Not afraid to go down in a blaze of glory.

The guys you are talking about are just tossers.

This guy was the absolute perfect pick to build our next generation around. So important to start with the key position guys then add a whole bunch of mids. Athletic and tall and reads the play well. Worst case should be just a solid CHB/FB for ten years or could be a gun like Grimes/Rance.
Liked our approach to the draft.Draft dominated by mids we took the best KP.
Next year is reverse.Kp's galore.We'll take the best mid available(@18).

Liked our approach to the draft.Draft dominated by mids we took the best KP.
Next year is reverse.Kp's galore.We'll take the best mid available(@18).

If there is a top end KPF at our pick I wouldn't picked him up. If not then best available

The Gun?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back