Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t stress about a rising star nom.

Guys like Durdin and Ginnavin always look good when they kick a couple of goals early in their career but Gibcus looks a 250 gamer for mine.

Those same media that won’t award him a rising star nom in a few years will be incredulous at the fact when he’s an AA defender. It’s just what they do.

The top ten in last years draft look super solid. I’m glad we held that pick.

I wouldn’t stress about a rising star nom.

Guys like Durdin and Ginnavin always look good when they kick a couple of goals early in their career but Gibcus looks a 250 gamer for mine.

Those same media that won’t award him a rising star nom in a few years will be incredulous at the fact when he’s an AA defender. It’s just what they do.

The top ten in last years draft look super solid. I’m glad we held that pick.
Its not the media that does the nominations its Sheehan and Brad Johnson. Halfwits the pair of them.

I think SDK is a bit ahead of Gib and that's absolutely fine - this award means nothing to the club.

The thing most pleasing is the literal drafting and playing of him. He's a genuinely high-end talent player that will make a difference. I compare him to Hobbs, who I like, but is more of a nice piece to a midfield rather than a game-changer. Taylor Adams is a really good mid at his best but not as your number 1 guy.

Going Gib first then getting Sonsie later, it's generational drafting.

I think SDK is a bit ahead of Gib and that's absolutely fine - this award means nothing to the club.

The thing most pleasing is the literal drafting and playing of him. He's a genuinely high-end talent player that will make a difference. I compare him to Hobbs, who I like, but is more of a nice piece to a midfield rather than a game-changer. Taylor Adams is a really good mid at his best but not as your number 1 guy.

Going Gib first then getting Sonsie later, it's generational drafting.

He should be. This is his 3rd year in the system.

Right now, Gibcus is ahead of SDK at the same age.

recruiting team absolutely hit this one out of the park. Gibcus looks at home in a backline that brought us 3 premierships. Excited to see how the other boys from last draft go
I guess when you spend a summer playing on Jack and learning from him, the club soon knows whether he’s round 1 ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days but Newcombe reminds me of many current young Hawthorn mids that can get the ball but just kick it as far as they can instead of composing themselves, lowering their eyes and hitting targets

I remember how everyone thought Worpel was the next big thing but he was exactly the same. After the new player sheen wears off they end up just average midfielders
Yep.Worpel comes to mind.

It's crazy thinking back to draft time a lot of draft watchers had kicking as a weakness of his. He's a beautiful kick of the ball!

Think it was against west coast where he launched this long raking kick across the backline to Balta who then kicked it close to inside 50. Was sensational to watch.

Gibcus is 18 years old playing as a key defender on players like buddy franklin and beating them and yet no one is talking about him for the rising star? Daicos got an easy role accross half back and hasn’t been that good and Newcombe is 20 playing midfield where it’s easy to get the ball

Shows how highly the club rate him internally that they are backing him in on Buddy.
For external accolades I honestly don’t give a * about rising star awards and our players not getting the rightful recognition.

Gibcus is 18 years old playing as a key defender on players like buddy franklin and beating them and yet no one is talking about him for the rising star? Daicos got an easy role accross half back and hasn’t been that good and Newcombe is 20 playing midfield where it’s easy to get the ball

Also managed one of the most pointless turn9vers. that aside..is fairly gifted do L o v e!!

Probably should have thrown him forward earlier would have offered more than Soldo...

The switch move to Grimes to Buddy was far too late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back