Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

He made some costly mistakes but he did some sublime things too. He is a first year key position defender. Not sure what people expect.

This is spot on. He did exactly what you would expect a top quality KPD who has only just turned 19yo to do. From where I sit it was a very encouraging performance. The kicking errors were costly tonight but you just have to wear that sort of thing while players are developing.

This is spot on. He did exactly what you would expect a top quality KPD who has only just turned 19yo to do. From where I sit it was a very encouraging performance. The kicking errors were costly tonight but you just have to wear that sort of thing while players are developing.
He could of been a match winner if he went forward earlier, super talented kid that's only 19
Crazy how he made a immediate impact when he went forward slotted it from outside 50
When the game was on the line.

He wasn't as bad as some thought. Watching the game, some of those goals Buddy kicked couldn't have been stopped by a better defender either.

His costly mistakes were a couple of disposal turnovers, but his defence was pretty solid.

Amazing development opportunity for him to play on Buddy for 70% of the game at the SCG. The bye comes at a good time for him to have another rest, learn from this and continue to learn his craft as a KPD.

He wasn't as bad as some thought. Watching the game, some of those goals Buddy kicked couldn't have been stopped by a better defender either.

His costly mistakes were a couple of disposal turnovers, but his defence was pretty solid.

Amazing development opportunity for him to play on Buddy for 70% of the game at the SCG. The bye comes at a good time for him to have another rest, learn from this and continue to learn his craft as a KPD.
Yeah I agree, two early ones from outside 50 where he just bombed into the square and got a good bounce and we had no defenders home

Only really lost one one on one marking contest, the other two goals came from when Tarrent was on him and when Grimes gave him a gift

He had two iffy turnovers, one when he kicked into the corridor from the wing that was intercepted and the other when he went back to Rioli

But those were really the only two “mistakes” he made and the experience will benefit him in the long run

Liked when he went forward late in the game as well, don’t think we should be trying to make him a swing man like Balta but it’s definitely worth having in the back pocket if the coaches want to move the magnets due to issues with match ups

People think he was bad? What. If the ball wasn't perfect to Buddy, he shut him down. Buddy got on top when Swans kicked out perfectly out front for him and started dominating center clearances.

Do people not remember Rance v Buddy? Most games Rance did superb yet Buddy still ended up with at least 3 goals.

There is probably some recency bias, but he might be my favourite player.

Every time I see him go for a mark or spoil, seems like he jumps an extra 2-3 inches on top of everyone else.

Yesterday was the first time I saw him with multiple mistakes with his kicking, but also had some really clean pickups and had surprisingly good and quick hands which surprised me.

He played on an all time great who's twice his age and did better than a lot before him. Every player has a bad game, the kids a gun.
I thought Gibcus had Buddy's measure in the first half. In the end it was sheer weight of numbers from the Swans midfield and some brain fades from Nank of all people that overwhelmed our backline. Gibcus is a freak at his age and we will be building our next generation backline around him just like we did with Rancey.

Too many are focussing on the negatives with this kid last night. Yeah he made a couple of massive blunders and had a few kicked on him. The phenomenal thing was when the coaches finally moved him up forward he didn't drop his bundle, he took a great mark and slotted truly whilst our guns were spraying their shots. Riewoldt will need to be managed as will Lynch to a degree. It's good to know that Balta and Gibcus can be sent forward and deliver when needed. I'd like to see how many defenders can spoil Gibcus when he takes it at its highest point. Who knows maybe he's a better forward or swingman? Shame the move wasn't made 20 mins earlier cos our forward line couldn't buy a mark . Thank f@ck for the bye.

For him to switch forward and put his utensil in the block and execute in a big moment is what made me feel okay today about that loss. This is the power of getting some good draft picks in as opposed to playing canstandya, et al. We need to rip off the band aid and go down before it’s too late. We must beat Geelong and Carlton or we are playing his mate Sonsie and the kids.

Yeah I agree, two early ones from outside 50 where he just bombed into the square and got a good bounce and we had no defenders home

Only really lost one one on one marking contest, the other two goals came from when Tarrent was on him and when Grimes gave him a gift

He had two iffy turnovers, one when he kicked into the corridor from the wing that was intercepted and the other when he went back to Rioli

But those were really the only two “mistakes” he made and the experience will benefit him in the long run

Liked when he went forward late in the game as well, don’t think we should be trying to make him a swing man like Balta but it’s definitely worth having in the back pocket if the coaches want to move the magnets due to issues with match ups

Lost 1 1v1 marking contest anf got.lost on the lead once. Several of the goals (the long bomb, the goal from 50 near the boundary) were not on Gibcus directly.

He made a few bad decisions, but tell me another 1st year defender playing on the greatest forward of the era, and towelling him up for the best part of 3 quarters.

He had a bit of a dirty patch in the game, but there were still some very positive signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just make him captain now

Barely given a free kick away let alone a 50

And he’s already doing Cotch’s pre game ritual of high fiving as they run out on the ground

Future 200-300 gamer
Good enough for me

Last edited:
Just make him captain now

Barely given a free kick away let alone a 50

And he’s already doing Cotch’s pre game ritual of high fiving as they run out on the ground

Future 200-300 gamer
Good enough for me
Yep he’s a gun, with serious leadership written all over him…

Has a fan in Sam.

BUT DON’T BLAME THE KID

Joish Gibcus was drafted at No. 9 last year and it wouldn’t surprise if the history books wind up showing they got him at a cheap price.

The terrific trifecta of Nick Daicos, Jason Horne-Francis and Sam Darcy belong at the top but Gibcus might not look out of place far below that.

Richmond chose to play Gibcus on Franklin because of his leg speed and for three quarters the kid had the champ’s measure. Understandably, Gibcus ran out of gas.

But Tiger fans won’t tire of watching Gibcus get jobs on the best goalkickers in the game because he is a beauty.

The Dogs won a flag and then nosedived for two years, securing Aaron Naughton and Bailey Smith. The Tigers won three flags and then got Gibcus after a down year.

Life below the top-eight line can be short-lived when you cash in by getting kids like that.

The way game swung late, he should have been moved forward much sooner. Lazy coaching IMO

I was also super worried about him on Buddy, (real WTF moment) but wowee this kid can play. Couple of dire kicks were costly but just before his last rest he did this also. Bye comes at a perfect time for the kid to refresh. Who was the last KPD drafted at any club to come in play to this level immediately?

The way game swung late, he should have been moved forward much sooner. Lazy coaching IMO

I was also super worried about him on Buddy, (real WTF moment) but wowee this kid can play. Couple of dire kicks were costly but just before his last rest he did this also. Bye comes at a perfect time for the kid to refresh. Who was the last KPD drafted at any club to come in play to this level immediately?
Naughton

Out of all the talls that debuted this year the only one I would say is on the same level is Sam DeKoning but it’s also worth noting he is also two years older and been on the cats list a few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back