Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

in gibbo defence. he would not have been picked (grimes) soft selection good future but nothing beats experience. worst game l've seen by a defender in a while. kid needs to blossom in the vfl before selected again.

Its not a defence. The match committee should know better. Its their ******* job to know better. We already had enough KPD that playing Gibcus was unnecessary. A player like Grimes you make room for as he is the best we have, a 19 year old who was second guested himself for the entirety of the second half of the season should not be playing in a final.

Gibcus will learn and get better with age but we wasted a golden opportunity tonight and a large part of that was the knock on effect of playing Gibcus.

Nothing against the kid, think he is the best KPD prospect in the country but theres a reason they don't play much in their debut seasons.

Poor kid has to live with that horrendous performance all summer. His game literally won it for them. He will be good one day but today was abominable

Hasn’t been the same since Buddy took him to the cleaners mid season.

Future star, in a few years he will dominate.

Shouldn’t have been picked, I would have liked to see Mansell

I don't think Gibcus is up to it, I know he is a young player but their is reason he wasn't nominated for the nab rising star, he makes a lot of mistakes even through out the year nervous dropped marks, butchering the football in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are actually ruining him by gifting him games. Cumberland had to wait 2 years and gibcus just get handed it on a platter. No wonder he has no confidence. Makes so many mistakes.
Rioli too had wait a lot longer & did it a lot tougher.

This whole thread after tonights game. * me.

The kid was part of a very shaky defence. Yeah he slipped over a few times but hell so did a lot of players for us. He has had a solid year and I can't begrudge him tonight's performance. Balta on the other hand had a lot of opportunities where he did not chase hard enough on Hipwood.

The kid was part of a very shaky defence. Yeah he slipped over a few times but hell so did a lot of players for us. He has had a solid year and I can't begrudge him tonight's performance. Balta on the other hand had a lot of opportunities where he did not chase hard enough on Hipwood.
C'mon Balta was way above Gibcus tonight, his reading & marking was all we could ask for.

He had a solid first few games. He's been terrible since then.

This the result of gifting an 18 year games. Disaster. Even rance didnt have this much leeway in his first. Gibcus needs to go back the 2s and work his craft. That way he actually has some confidence on what to do and no look like a headless chook.

Least of our worries don't know why people knock him a few of our experienced heads let us down with critical errors there the ones you cringe.

Go back and watch that Hipwood goal when Cameron tapped it over his shoulder. Hipwood was already charging to the contest whilst Balta was jogging.
Balta coughed up 3 on Hipwood and lucky it wasn’t 4. He let the bloke basically roam free in front of him. I’m personally not understanding all the Gibcus hate.

He actually didnt need to play as we had balta move back to cover grimes. He was brought in too hastly. His vfl wasnt great too. Has no confidence as a result and not surprised he performed so badly tonight.

Yes he did. If you want Vlastuin to play the intercept role (for which he is elite) and Broad to play the pseudo third wing role (which he is very good at) you need three key backman.

You don’t play Gibcus and you take away the strengths of Broad and Vlastuin.

Structure is just - if not more important - than the player. If not Gibcus, who?

I don't think Gibcus is up to it, I know he is a young player but their is reason he wasn't nominated for the nab rising star, he makes a lot of mistakes even through out the year nervous dropped marks, butchering the football in the backline.

NAB Rising star nomination means close to nothing. Despite not getting a nomination, he still finished fourth as the best first year player this year.

Gibcus will be a very very good back man. How quickly we forget the start to his season where he clunked everything and was pinpointing 50m laser kicks.

You want to know how good he can be, watch his first 10 games; not just the last one.

I’ve got no issue with us playing Gibcus or any of the young players. You are not playing these guys for their proven poise under pressure in. big games, you are playing them for the future. Gibcus will take a lot of benefit from this season, but he might be a couple of years at least away from being able to really find his feet at AFL level.

After listening to bits from Balmey etc I think why they kept playing Gibcus is because they can see how outstanding he is when competing against other players at training.

I think you just have to suck it up sometimes with the way the list falls you have to make a decision to play Nyuon or Gibcus or Soldo and put Miller back once Grimes is missing injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back