AFLW Player #28: Mia Busch - On the pod for Round 3 - 14/9

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quotes from her interview on club website:
I was just so competitive and ready to play any sport under the sun, so starting out in the under 15’s as an 11-year-old was my introduction to footy. It just blossomed from there and I’ve never looked back. Early on, I only really committed to it because of my friends and how much I loved it for what it was, but it was only through that COVID year that I definitively chose to go all in on footy.

As an athlete and as a perfectionist that I am, you’re always striving for the next best thing and at times it can be hard to just reflect and be happy with where you’ve gotten to. When I look back to that night, it’s a bit of a blur. There were a couple of Mia’s in the draft taken before me, so it was just a massive relief to finally have my name called and get to that point of saying ‘I’ve made it’.

I’m an all-in person who hates to half-ass things, I want to do everything I can to improve and the harsh reality was that I couldn’t bring that to footy with my focus on school last year. It was hard for me to deal with trying to excel at both and I’d have to miss certain training sessions, which hurt me as a social person. Being able to have conversations with girls like Ash van Loon and Amber Clarke about how they were handling it all was so good for me through the year.

Personally for me, this pre-season has been incomparable. I’ve realised just how much I’ve missed connecting with the group and being around everyone. At the end of the day, those little things that build to the team connection makes up most of why people play sport in the first place. I’m looking to build on my strengths such as my running capacity and utilising them where they fit best within the team. I’m finding it suits my game, getting from contest to contest and supporting my mates.

Our approach to pre-season has been driven by who we want to be as Essendon people. We’ve strayed very far from that idea of being treated as an expansion club, we’re all set on our future and being known as a hard-working, resilient, tough side to play against.

I’m really excited to travel with everyone, but Sophie Alexander is a pretty awesome character to travel with, I adore her. Mia van Dyke is also the most random person you will ever meet and I absolutely love her to death for it.

I’m so grateful to be a part of this team and I’m so excited to spend more time travelling with them as we keep building together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back