Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iam in England atm and just read the news. Bit shocked the champ wont be playing on.

First year it would seam that our boomer-ang wont come back.

Go out in style champ.

This is heartbreaking, didn't even give a thought to the idea he might retire. Boomers been my favourite player since I started watching football and it's gonna be hard not seeing him out there in the blue and white stripes again. I can't even imagine it, I just don't really know what to say right now.

I'm still absolutely gutted by the decision. Can't believe our club would treat boomer as if he was just any other de-listee. He deserved so much better than a bloody statement that his contract wouldn't be renewed.

I haven't felt this flat due to footy since the whole Carey saga. Even then it was more anger that a hero of mine could destroy a club he helped build. In this circumstance it's more disappointment and sadness that his career is coming to a grinding halt despite him still plying seriously good footy.

I idolised this bloke for the last 20 years. his work rate, dedication and ability to get the most out of himself that was something that always inspired me in my sport. I just can't believe that this club, own club could just come out and say "we will not be offering him another contract". There was no sensitivity, no appreciation and it was downright pathetic.

I really couldn't be more disappointed right now.

Agree that the tough call is the right call.

Just wonder as games record holder deserved his time in sun. North thia week announce he is finishing up he gets all the accolades and then post season announce other blokes.

It is hard managing transition. Not sure we got it right at all.

Very hard to know what goes on behind the scenes too. Lots of people talking about players deserving to call their own retirements... but if they won't take the hint then the club has to make the call.

Very hard to know what goes on behind the scenes too. Lots of people talking about players deserving to call their own retirements... but if they won't take the hint then the club has to make the call.
For sure

The other thing is surely these discussions being playing out last 12 months. It shouldn't be coming as a total shock.

In the end jumper is always bigger than the player

I think you guys should bombard the club with emails and phone calls to get Harvey back next year. As a neutral I can't believe they've chopped him.

He is not just a legend of North Melbourne but of Australian Football full stop. His form, skill, preparation, attitude, pace and work rate is elite and he looks like he could go on another year and kick another 30 goals. It's hard to find small forwards who can do that.

I am quite shocked. I might send an email myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you guys should bombard the club with emails and phone calls to get Harvey back next year. As a neutral I can't believe they've chopped him.

He is not just a legend of North Melbourne but of Australian Football full stop. His form, skill, preparation, attitude, pace and work rate is elite and he looks like he could go on another year and kick another 30 goals. It's hard to find small forwards who can do that.

I am quite shocked. I might send an email myself.
I agree if I wasn't so far is go to Arden street and protest seriously, and I hope something changes and we do somehow do a back flip and sign boomer on a last year deal.

Agree with a player not being allowed to call their retirement. Boomers performance this year however shows he is constantly in our best 22 so unless we are recruiting a gun or picking up a star free agent logically this decision is not right. Our coach has now been at the helm for a considerable period of time now but in reality our list does not seem to be getting much better.

A woman I work with has been a North fan her whole life. She found out when I told her this afternoon at about 3:00pm. She was devastated until I left at 4:00pm and told stories for the intervening hour.

She was at Harvey's first game (Richmond?) and claims she stood in the cheer squad as she was a massive North nerd at the time and right into it. As Harvey ran around she reckons a little boy next to her was screaming "Go Brent!" over and over again.

She asked him who Brent was, not being right up with the jockey sized first gamer, to which the little boy replied "that's my brother and he's playing for North!"

Yep. Shane Harvey. Right smack bang in the middle of the cheer squad cheering for his brother.

The clubs handling of boomer really hurts. Forcing the retirement of one of our best players just doesn't sit right with me. Boomers been my favourite player for a long time and watching the club just treat him like some other delisted player leaves a me feeling a bit sick. How he's not been given another year contract is well beyond my comprehension, he's an absolute freak of nature. The other 3 delisted I'm totally fine with and I can see why they have been moved on, but boomer? I won't forgive Brad Scott and the list managers for a long time, they can gagf. If we want a true rebuild get rid of these clowns first, they're the ones that got us in to this mess.

Some Brent "Boomer" Harvey stats:

- with Petrie, 3rd most times teammates
- 4th most wins, 3 behind Bruce Doull
- 5th most losses, 4 behind Paul Roos

- R22, now 11th oldest player, passing Michael Tuck
- R23, moves to =1st for most seasons (13) playing 22+ games
- R23, moves to =2nd for most seasons (11) playing every H&A game

- EF, 3rd most games in his 30s (184; Tuck 190, Bradley 195)
- EF, becomes 4th player to play 20 years
- EF, moves to 10th oldest player, passing Teddy Rankin
- EF, plays 12th finals series, =8th most
- EF, plays 24th final, 20 have played >25
- EF, with Firrito, =19th most times teammates

And lastly, EF/SF/PF/GF, after having won every* milestone game including his 1st, 50th, 100th, 150th, 200th, 250th, 300th, 312th (club record games), 350th, 400th, 404th (league record games for #29), 427th (league record games) will most likely lose his last game. NB: he did lose one milestone game (186th, club record games for #29).

Last edited:
This is absolutely ridiculous, I can understand Petrie and Firrito, and to a lesser extent Dal Santo, but boomer? He's arguably the second best player in your team! Absolutely ridiculous decision, it's appearing as if they're conceding that they won't contend in the next few years.

Hey guy's and gal's from the first time I heard the name Brent Harvey he annoyed the crap out of me or more to the point the North supporter sitting in the Hawks members area that wouldn't shut up about him during a reserves game out at Waverley Park.
I was told many years ago when out at Victoria Park listening to Pies fans bagging the tripe out of leathal, that the same people doing the bagging would more than likely be hero worshiping the same player should he wear a different jumper. This was always my thoughts on Harvey, loved to give him stick back in the day's when you could get away with just about saying what you like, while thinking how good would we be if he played for us.
A real shame that not even one single player gets to make a call on their career when they feel the time is right, not all should but some have earned the right. Tuck was pushed and now Harvey, both champs, both deserved to make their own call.

The more I think about it, the more I am of the opinion that as a supporter base we need to make some noise on this one.

Having Brent Harvey on our list for another year wouldn't hurt our list development at all. It's a disgrace how it's been handled and we need to let the club know we think they have this one wrong. It has a similar feel to the James McDonald scenario at Melbourne and they even admitted it set them back as a club.

You just don't pension your champs off, especially when they are in the top echelon of players at your club and producing football above the required AFL standard.

The positives of having Boomer on the list far outweigh any negatives.

He should have been given a new contract and announced that 2017 will be his final year.

He would have been given the appropriate send off and used 2017 to bring the next generation through.

Guys like Ryan Clarke, Wagner etc would get more benefit from learning from Boomer than any gifted games because of a free spot. Games need to be earned and Boomer isn't holding anyone back that is deserving of being in the 22 with our current list.

As fans of this club and people who invest our money, support and passion we deserve to be heard.

This isn't Brads or JBs club, it's just as much ours.

The damage being done now is more harmful than the possibility of giving a true champion of not only our club but the AFL the send off and the new contract he deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back