Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Know absolutely nothing about him, but in a word, mercurial.
Don't think we'll be indifferent to hin

Brett Anderson
18. Shai BOLTON
Ht: 174.7cm | Wt: 68.8kg | Small Forward | South Fremantle

Bolton jumps out at you when you watch him live, or on tape. He has an unbelievable side-step and can jump off a standing start to take a mark. At the moment he is more of a forward than a midfielder, but he has shown the ability to push up onto a wing in the national championships and in the All-Star Game. He does though need to work on his kicking – especially his high ball drop – and must lower his eyes to select the right option, rather than bombing long. He is far from the finished article and will take some patience, but oozes x-factor.

Strengths: speed, tricks, leap.

Needs to improve: endurance, strength, kicking, work ethic.

Injuries: Back stress fractures in 2015.

Combine test results: Repeat Sprint – 25.10. 20m Sprint – 2.95. Agility – 8.85. Beep Test – 13.1. 3km TT – 10:59.

Draft range: 12-28.

What they say: “Adds energy around the contest and he’s a bit of a freak really. Has electric speed and at ground level he’s the best I’ve seen when he just takes off after hitting the ground. He’s a slight kid who will need to work on his endurance and strength to get to more contests.” – South Fremantle talent manager Jason Pedulla.

Emma Qwayle

26. Shai Bolton
Midfielder
Height: 175cm
Weight: 69kg

Bolton has some real pizzazz: pretty good speed, a nice sidestep, the ability to make something from nothing and make it look very good. He moves before others realise where he is going and is one of the quickest players in the pool. He's small but can jump up to take marks and gather the ball cleanly at ground level too. He likes to kick long and that, in combination with his pace and willingness to use it, allows him to propel the game forward and create chances for himself and others.

Champion Data
PICK 24: SHAI BOLTON (WESTERN AUSTRALIA/SOUTH FREMANTLE)

Champion Data says: Bolton was the best ball-carrier at the national championships, gaining 431 metres per match. Importantly, he can also win his own footy, recording a contested possession rate of above 50 per cent in the WAFL Colts.

Fox Footy says: A damaging outside midfielder who has pace to burn and is extremely difficult to stop when he gets going. He’s got a slight frame, but he’s incredibly agile and can be very damaging forward of centre. His kicking can be erratic at times.

Twomey
POS: Half-forward, Ht 178cm, Wt 68kg, DOB 8/12/98
From South Fremantle/Western Australia

Few in the draft can do the type of things that Bolton can. He's got a full bag of party tricks: he can stand on the shoulders of an opponent and take a big mark, or bolt down the wing with the ball tucked under his arm dodging past players. A couple of weeks ago Bolton put it all together to kick a bag of seven goals at colts level, which highlighted the half-forward's exciting ability. He was quiet the next week, showing he needs to improve his consistency, but in terms of talent he is right up there. Bolton booted four goals last week at colts level.

Similar to Edwards.

I keep hearing the he needs to improve his kicking and work ethic, two comments that can be applied to far too many picks that have walked through the door in the Jackson reign. Surely we can buck the trend eventually and this kids turns into a jet.

Last edited:
Xxxx me bloke hasn't played a game yet. You probably would have blasted Richmond if we took Caleb Daniel last year. Give it a rest mate

Just remember, with TI it's simple...If Richmond does it it's wrong.

Xxxx me bloke hasn't played a game yet. You probably would have blasted Richmond if we took Caleb Daniel last year. Give it a rest mate
Xxxx mate I'm allowed my opinion as how many small forwards can we have? Stop being a selfish brAt and it's not about him playing a game , but about list needs here.

Don't know much about the kid, just can't believe we picked another midget.
Bewildering.
Best available at that pick. Great get, watched him in 3 games. Stunning mover.

Go post in the vent thread if you are upset. This is a welcome thread.

I thought it was the democratic people could post their feelings on the draft pick thread. OK? Its not?

OK,this guy is amazing will be the best pick we've ever had. Mods, close thread.

Has massive upside this kid.
We are finally going to be dangerous in the forward 50 when the pill hits the deck. Just need some key talls now.
If only we could get in our fwd half. Benny hill music playing as Houli handballs/fumbles to Ellis who craps his dacks and hunt grabs it, he takes an eternity to decide what to do, Morris dives in trying to be tough and gives up the free........ Nah this kid is going to be a half back fumbler.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think this is a great pick. He's got quality athletic traits and is a natural attacking threat. Richmond's drafting in the past has tended towards unathletic guys, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Also Richmond tends to be conservative with its picks so nice they took a punt. The side also needs some pace and outside flair. They traded for Prestia and Caddy to do the grunt work, then got Bolton to work on the outside, makes sense to me.

I thought it was the democratic people could post their feelings on the draft pick thread. OK.

There's a difference between saying you think it was a mistake and calling for the recruiters to be sacked.

Looks exciting but can we turn a lazy player around?
Thats a shocking beep test and 3km time trial. I was super keen before I saw those figures.

Does anyone in the know know if injuries have plagued his fitness to give him such terrible times

Tiger panel looked pretty elated when Bolton landed on their lap.
Fox panel ignored talking about him Dunstall and Kane Cornes lmao.

Cornes went straight to Collingwoods pick after ours and revved it up.

#wearecornesgrandfinal

Welcome to Richmond Shai

Read an article where a recruiter said this kid has done things he had never seen before

I've also read articles about players that could rip a rabbit from a hat. Rarely comes true because if it did they would have gone #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back