All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Oilers, Mariners, Clippers
Hello all,

I am in my second season as an AFL fan and, I absolutely love the sport. It provides the kind of action and excitement that the modern National Hockey League fails to deliver on so many nights to this Canadian hockey fan.

I just completed my 2nd annual "AFL Weekend" where I watch all 9 games and, I must say there was some entertaining footy in Round 19. Once the 9th game was over, I wanted more so I found the 1992 Grand Final on YouTube - a very entertaining contest in itself. I love the magnitude of the event, everything is done so well to emphasize the importance of the Grand Final, it is easy to get caught up in the excitement. But, that Grand Final leads me to a question:

Has the timing of the quarters changed since then? Today we see a 20 minute clock on the TV screen and in the 1992 Grand Final, it appeared that the clock counted down from 30 minutes. I know that a typical AFL quarter does take 30 minutes to play so, is this really the same thing?

Thanks for your help.

Before 1994, quarters were 25 min long, but with less stoppages in play, the clock would keep running when the ball went out of bounds, allowing teams to take advantage of this by eating up the clock late in close games, so from 1994, the clocks stops when the ball goes out of play, but to componsate for this, quarters were reduced to 20 minutes... on average games are about 7 min shorter than bsck in the day

Before 1994, quarters were 25 min long, but with less stoppages in play, the clock would keep running when the ball went out of bounds, allowing teams to take advantage of this by eating up the clock late in close games, so from 1994, the clocks stops when the ball goes out of play, but to componsate for this, quarters were reduced to 20 minutes... on average games are about 7 min shorter than bsck in the day

Thank you - that answers my question. :)

if you think Round 19 was good you'll lose your s**t at 99% of the other rounds.

i watched 3 games last weekend.

gold coast vs st.kilda - terrible
melbourne vs brisbane - beyond words
hawthown vs bulldogs - very average

and i watched the last half(ish) of collingwood vs port and whilst it was close, the actual football was pretty bad.

if you think Round 19 was good you'll lose your s**t at 99% of the other rounds.

i watched 3 games last weekend.

gold coast vs st.kilda - terrible
melbourne vs brisbane - beyond words
hawthown vs bulldogs - very average

and i watched the last half(ish) of collingwood vs port and whilst it was close, the actual football was pretty bad.
remember he isn't as privileged by being in Canada, we get all 9 games every week

remember he isn't as privileged by being in Canada, we get all 9 games every week

I have a subscription to AFL Global so, I get all 9 games each week as well. I don't usually have time to watch them all.

As a Suns fan, I particlarly enjoyed their win over St. Kilda.

I have a subscription to AFL Global so, I get all 9 games each week as well. I don't usually have time to watch them all.

As a Suns fan, I particlarly enjoyed their win over St. Kilda.
Hope you enjoyed your win against us too, possibly the biggest win in GCS history - would put the Collingwood one second because we're rated higher than they.

Hope you enjoyed your win against us too, possibly the biggest win in GCS history - would put the Collingwood one second because we're rated higher than they.

The Collingwood win in round 16 is our best, IMO, because we won without Ablett. The young guys really stood up and played great that 4th Q.

You are right, the win against the Cats was pretty special as well as they are the highest ranked team we have beaten. Being a new club, pretty much any win is great. :)

The Collingwood win in round 16 is our best, IMO, because we won without Ablett. The young guys really stood up and played great that 4th Q.

You are right, the win against the Cats was pretty special as well as they are the highest ranked team we have beaten. Being a new club, pretty much any win is great. :)
From a personal perspective despite it being so far away - you guys should make top 4 next year and will I think go 17-5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at that game, the Suns were spectacular and really sent a message to the league that day.
We... won't talk about the Collingwood game :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back