Senior 3. Brandan Parfitt (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is BrandonP the kid I had my eye on? No not at all , he seemed to slip thru my attention for some reason. And seeing how we got rid of a inside player that could play forward and kick goals , and have brought in a kid who looks a different style of player that enjoys contested ball as well... and has questionable forward attributes. Time will tell if that choice was a good one... but just looking at Brandon as a player picked... he seems a good addition to our list. He certainly speaks well. And to be honest he doesn't seem as raw as some players ..it will be interesting to see how he copes with VFL , and how quickly puts pressure on for a spot in the side.
I like his composure and poise. There's a lot to like so we'll see how he develops.

I reckon we might see him get a game or two next year.

Looks to be a genuine mid and I always want mids with earlyish picks.

I'd say there is a bit of work to go into the fitness side of things, so maybe some upside there.

Welcome to Geelong.

I like his composure and poise. There's a lot to like so we'll see how he develops.

I reckon we might see him get a game or two next year.

It may just be classic Stones.. :we may not have got we wanted... but did we get what we needed? And even though I'm more often a glass half empty type , I'm willing to say he looks a good type and lets see where and how he fits. Sometimes too its the subtleties that make the difference , not the glaring and obvious ... just something tells me we have more than what is obvious here.
I can see a little of Peter Burgoyne and Sam Mitchell in his make-up.

I think I mentioned Mitchell and Ablett for a facet or two. Of course he is obviously a different player than both... and settling him into Geelong the club, Geelong the place will be important.

I actually agree with Nakia, Bobby and others in that we need to make sure our development program is improved if we want to get the best out of any new or current players. Too many have stagnated recently.

It may just be classic Stones.. :we may not have got we wanted... but did we get what we needed? And even though I'm more often a glass half empty type , I'm willing to say he looks a good type and lets see where and how he fits. Sometimes too its the subtleties that make the difference , not the glaring and obvious ... just something tells me we have more than what is obvious here.

I think I mentioned Mitchell and Ablett for a facet or two. Of course he is obviously a different player than both... and settling him into Geelong the club, Geelong the place will be important.

I get the feeling that Wells had Parfitt earmarked quite a while back, hence the apparent lack of fight to keep Caddy at the club. He would have known that it was likely that Parfitt wouldn't slip to our original (prior to this years' trade week) first pick in the late 30's, but a pick in the mid 20's should be enough to secure him. The inevitable comparisons with Caddy will be interesting. From the vision, Parfitt seems to have far better awareness and agility than Caddy, not as strong overhead, and perhaps his kicking is slightly inferior (though he does have a nice technique ), though I never considered Caddy to be an elite kick by any means.

Looks to be a genuine mid and I always want mids with earlyish picks.

I'd say there is a bit of work to go into the fitness side of things, so maybe some upside there.

Welcome to Geelong.

What makes you say that re fitness?? He seems a fitness freak - 14.6 beep test.

I actually agree with Nakia, Bobby and others in that we need to make sure our development program is improved if we want to get the best out of any new or current players. Too many have stagnated recently.

I agree it needs to be looked at and monitored - I was disappointed in Lang TBH - thought he was primed for a breakout 2016
Cocky was showing good signs before the knee , Gregson injured as well. However Kolo , Macca and Ruggles went OK for such young , inexperienced players

Parfitt and Narkle will add pace and flair , however we need to be more attacking - particularly with our forwardline strategy. I'm hoping these two are a sign of developing alternate ways to score rather than kicking long to the big fella the majority of the time.

He seems to have pretty good decision making and handball execution in close but when kicking makes very poor decisions and executes poorly as well. I certainly wouldn't be playing him in the midfield at all till he rectifies that weak aspect of his game, maybe just stick him as a deep forward and see how he goes.

That's a fair call and I probably should have explained myself a little better but I was tired. From the outside looking in it appears Scott's ignoring the future for the now.

Certainly they picked some players in the National , coming from a VFL background they are closer to ready... now after today they have added 4 young players as Rookies it looks a bit better from my perspective. Every club is lucky if they can get 1 100+game player from 2 picks.. id say it would be closer to 3.. and if I was to guess who is the most likely to play 100 games right now ..Id say Parfitt. So I don't think they have totally lost sight of the future.

Certainly they picked some players in the National , coming from a VFL background they are closer to ready... now after today they have added 4 young players as Rookies it looks a bit better from my perspective. Every club is lucky if they can get 1 100+game player from 2 picks.. id say it would be closer to 3.. and if I was to guess who is the most likely to play 100 games right now ..Id say Parfitt. So I don't think they have totally lost sight of the future.
I'd say Stewart is the most likely to play 100 games. In fact he'll probably - or should - keep Mackie out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to Parfitt.

Aside from Stewart, who should play seniors in 2017, this guy might not be far off.

If he can string a few good games in a row in the VFL, I can see him pushing out Lang, Murdoch, Gregson and maybe a few others. Looks the most ready of the youngsters drafted.

Let's just place a realist perspective onto this scenario for a second.

We came third in a 18 man competition.

We had every single top 8 side covered and beaten besides Sydney.

Our only obstacle for the season we couldn't overcome was Sydney. We had Bulldogs easily beaten twice, we had Adelaide covered, we had GWS in a convincing fashion at home. Had hawthorn covered 2/2. Asha's west coast done, north covered.

The only team that had our measure in the top 8 was Sydney, and we where one shot away from a grand final.

It's pessimists like you that would have thrown out the baby and the bath water after 2010's embarrassment and ended up costing us a premiership. Thank goodness Scott hasn't got a defeated negative attitude.

Yep the players and coaching staff clearly where a mess. 1 side on the entire top 8 we couldn't beat. Crap throw them all out, rubbish the lot of them

GC26 ..probably a debate for elsewhere..but as someone that lived thru those losses in previous year ... it only takes one team to beat you..and this year not only did Syd beat us , they pants us. twice. And as far as covered , Im not so sure we had them all the others under the thumb. Dogs had us on the rope till injuries hit , and GWS beat us once. Our finals record of recent times is out of kilter with home and away , or should I say the other way round. The delusions of wins thru the year means less to me than our finals performance... and to be frank we have not looked like it for 5 years. So saying Syd was our only obstacle may be technically correct but its not really the full story. The Haw win was so lucky that there is no way I could say we had them covered...and Haw were not the best side.

Back to Parfitt.

Aside from Stewart, who should play seniors in 2017, this guy might not be far off.

If he can string a few good games in a row in the VFL, I can see him pushing out Lang, Murdoch, Gregson and maybe a few others. Looks the most ready of the youngsters drafted.

As you say , this thread is all about Parfitt. Can he add much in 17? Id like to think he could be I doubt he will , he looks like has something to offer , but a fair bit to work on as well. If he can push out the players you have mentioned then that doesn't say a lot about them.

GC26 ..probably a debate for elsewhere..but as someone that lived thru those losses in previous year ... it only takes one team to beat you..and this year not only did Syd beat us , they pants us. twice. And as far as covered , Im not so sure we had them all the others under the thumb. Dogs had us on the rope till injuries hit , and GWS beat us once. Our finals record of recent times is out of kilter with home and away , or should I say the other way round. The delusions of wins thru the year means less to me than our finals performance... and to be frank we have not looked like it for 5 years. So saying Syd was our only obstacle may be technically correct but its not really the full story. The Haw win was so lucky that there is no way I could say we had them covered...and Haw were not the best side.

Said far more eloquently than me TC.

You sound confident. Also not to forget Jones , we seem to have added significantly to ind. talent group. You think full time input can improve them quickly ?
Parfitt and Narkle significantly -

Think about Geelong in 2016 rationally. We weren't that far off. Yes the swans had our measure. But we had hawthorn and the dogs and the giants covered. Where the swans got us was outside run and speed moving the ball forward. The footy dummies all blamed a dosfunctional forward line. That wasn't the issue. The issue wasn't hard Contested ball either as it has been in previous seasons. Look at the stats for forward entry. We were lacking outside pace that can finish. Hawkins needs a chance to lead up when he is not double
Teamed. So losing caddy was a smart calculated move. We didn't need another one paced inside mid. We have 2 Selwoods, danger, Mengelola and even Duncan potentially inside. We need fast
Skilled finishers. I'd expect Motlop has been given a rocket and will play high half forward. Cocky will play every week on a wing, and they'll look at these 2 '"new boys. And whoever shows the most in the preseason will get a chance early. I'm expecting a MASSIVE preseason from Murdoch also - plus TUOHY who's also got toe.

The rest of sides there abouts. Very exciting.

Parfitt and Narkle significantly -

Think about Geelong in 2016 rationally. We weren't that far off. Yes the swans had our measure. But we had hawthorn and the dogs and the giants covered. Where the swans got us was outside run and speed moving the ball forward. The footy dummies all blamed a dosfunctional forward line. That wasn't the issue. The issue wasn't hard Contested ball either as it has been in previous seasons. Look at the stats for forward entry. We were lacking outside pace that can finish. Hawkins needs a chance to lead up when he is not double
Teamed. So losing caddy was a smart calculated move. We didn't need another one paced inside mid. We have 2 Selwoods, danger, Mengelola and even Duncan potentially inside. We need fast
Skilled finishers. I'd expect Motlop has been given a rocket and will play high half forward. Cocky will play every week on a wing, and they'll look at these 2 '"new boys. And whoever shows the most in the preseason will get a chance early. I'm expecting a MASSIVE preseason from Murdoch also - plus TUOHY who's also got toe.

The rest of sides there abouts. Very exciting.

There seems a few different streams of thought about where we sit and future prospects , but in this thread I more interested in our new recruit.
I know your awareness on Ind. is usually heightened .. so.. is there a special reason you think those young men will significantly improve once in system. Perhaps you are more aware of the obstacles they have coped with.

Keep it closed. Just going over old ground anyway.

Parfitt needs to clean up his disposal but has good clean hands and some explosiveness. Bit to work with.

I watch that clip of his again... playing for the red team ... he really looks a bit impeded in his kicking , I wonder if he is lacking power in groin or something ... a bit strange as his running looked fine.

There seems a few different streams of thought about where we sit and future prospects , but in this thread I more interested in our new recruit.
I know your awareness on Ind. is usually heightened .. so.. is there a special reason you think those young men will significantly improve once in system. Perhaps you are more aware of the obstacles they have coped with.
I think parfitt coming in to a full time system will flourish cos he's that kind of kid. And narkle - getting away from Perth Andy being ensconced in the system, will really really thrive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back