Senior 3. Brandan Parfitt (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee this isn't a bad read if you want some encouragement for our decision. This is Quigley's number 10 in his power rankings and he watches a lot more of junior footy than probably anyone on this thread.

Brandon Parfitt 10:

I think Parfitt is the most underappreciated player in this draft. He has excelled at every level and he has got a lot of elite traits that will translate to AFL football. There are only a few players who can take over and dominate a game in this draft and Parfitt is one of them. In Div 2 I have watched him both this year and last and he has been fantastic as the midfield leader of the NT side. Kennelly (who is an abysmal coach imo) insisted on playing him mostly deep forward for the Allies and he did not stand out, but if you paid attention when he was in the middle you would have noticed that he was actually one of the Allies most effective midfielders. Kennelly played favourites to the detriment of his team and there were several kids like Parfitt who deserved more of a chance than he provided. The Allies and the team he coached in the All Star game both badly underperformed and guys like Parfitt are going to fall down the pecking order because of his incompetence.

Anyway enough of my rant on Kennelly's shortcomings. Parfitt I think is right with Brodie and SPS as the best inside ball winners in this draft. Parfitt is not tall but he is powerful over the ball and is probably one of the most difficult guys to get on the ground in this draft. He has a low centre of gravity and is exceptionally well balanced. He has good elusiveness but is scragged a fair bit but rarely goes to ground. He has a series of go to moves and excels at getting through, around or shrugging these tackles. He takes his time getting the ball out from the clearances which often sees him end up in the grasp but he rarely dies with the ball, keeping his arms free excellently and getting the ball away almost without fail. He positions himself well to receive at the ruck and is an elite read of the taps whether from his own or the opposition ruckman.

When playing though the midfield he spreads and links up well. He can rack up big numbers if he is given the opportunity, for example in Round 21 of the SANFL U18s he collected 47 disposals, 10 marks and 10 clearances in a hugely dominant display. Parfitt is a bit of a confidence player and is at his best when he is the main man in his team. He can go into his shell a little when he is not valued highly. I think his coach is going to need to be cognisant of this and manage him accordingly and it could take him a little while to really come into his own at AFL level.

The one area where he really needs to work on in his kicking. At the moment he is pretty untidy and misses targets too regularly. He is capable of delivering some really nice kicks especially into 50 but at the moment he is too casual and perhaps a bit eager to get it onto the boot rather than taking the half second more to balance up and fix his target in his mind. When he is in space he can be very damaging but he can waste a lot of possessions at or not make them count as much as they should. I am not exactly sure what makes me have this opinion but I have the feeling that Parfitt's kicking might be something which can be turned around fairly easily. Up forward I am less confident. He was put in the forward pocket in a lot of rep games this year and I am not convinced that he will be best served to play there at the next level. He does some good things and gets some chances but I do not think he has great goal sense and his finishing is quite poor.

Where Parfitt does add value no matter where he is playing on the ground is with his defensive work. He reminds me a lot of Cyril with his tackling and chase effort. When you look at Parfitt you do not expect a speedster but that is deceiving. He has really nice pace, plays the angles really well and chases with 100% effort. Take a look at the run downs of Rotham and Piper at the Champs. Both are speedsters and Parfitt mowed them down in the open field. The Piper one was particularly of note for me given it was over about 40m and is not the kind of chase you often see from the star players at junior level. Parfitt is a very willing tackler and if he gets his chance in the midfield at AFL level his tackle numbers will be very good.

If the pundits are correct and Parfitt goes outside the top 30 I think someone is going to get a serious bargain. As you can see I rate him highly and think he could end up one of the steals of the draft.

Matthew Stokes mark 2

I could see that comparison. Stokes is a bit sharper, this kid moves a bit better and has less dwarfy features.

Is it just me or does he look really sloppy in those highlights, has plenty of pace but his handball style is wierd and he seemed to make poor decisions a lot of the time, also couple of shocking kicks in there. I dont see pick 26 in those highlights, hope i can be proven wrong.

Can someone tell me roughly where Parfitt was predicted to be drafted number wise prior to the draft?
Who cares???

Every clubs recruiting team rates the draftees very different. Only the vague uneducated media draft watchers have the same repetitive lists they copy paste based on maybe 5-10 tac cup games and a bunch of highlights off YouTube.

In wells we trust

Most had him second or third round.
Seemed all over the shop. Some in the 20's and some as late as mid 40's. Seems like a hard player to nail down?
Now of course phantom drafts do vary from the actual. We bid on Scheer at 67. KM had him top 20.

Seemed all over the shop. Some in the 20's and some as late as mid 40's. Seems like a hard player to nail down?
Now of course phantom drafts do vary from the actual. We bid on Scheer at 67. KM had him top 20.

I absolutely love the look of him.

He seems to do very good work in congestion and traffic. One of those players who creates that extra time and space. Assesses everything around him in tight and pressured situations to make very smart creative decisions.

What I love and it is obvious from his clips; is that he is a class above and Sam Mitchell like through traffic and congestion. I know I said a week ago that Dylan Clarke seemed San Mitchel like, but after seeing these highlights I take it back! Even the side step and shimmy from left to right seems a spitting replica. Even has the same height I believe?

Take a look at his highlights again and tell me if you see the resemblance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no......

Haha oh yes !

I said a while ago whoever we pick first in the Draft will be my boy from this years crop, though won't talk him up ala JJ I have learnt my lesson.

My boys are now Menzel, Thurlow, Cockatoo, Gardner & Parfitt, don't care what any of y'all say :cool::cool::cool:

Plenty of people with question marks over Parfitt's kicking, but I'm not entirely sure why. I've seen him play since he was a young kid and he's always been fairly polished and creative with his foot skills. If his groins were 100% this year, I wouldn't have been surprised if he went in the top ten. Based purely on exposed form at junior and senior level in the Northern Territory, I'd have him above Nakia Cockatoo at the same age. The thing that stood out with Nakia was his attributes (pace, size, booming kick etc.) rather than his form, albeit he struggled with injuries so you have to cut him some slack. This is not a dig at Nakia either, I'd also have Parfitt a fair way ahead of Daniel Rioli, who we grabbed at selection 15 (and I am not unhappy with that either).

I rate Brandan Parfitt super-highly as a footballer. Arguably the best prospect out of the Northern Territory in many years. He under performed this year, but he had fairly significant groin issues throughout the early stages of the year. Could be a Mathew Stokes type, but he's far taller than what he is listed as. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least 182cm or so.

I interviewed him for my radio show last weekend, have a listen if you're interested.

PARFITT: I DIDN’T LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS:

BY - JACKSON CLARK (Twitter - @JClark182)

Pardon the cliché, but a year is a long time in football.

This time last year Brandan Parfitt was touted as a very likely first-rounder for the 2016 AFL Draft.

The skilful midfielder had just finished an All-Australian season as an underage player in the NAB AFL U18 Championships and he’d also played senior football in the SANFL with North Adelaide.

But Parfitt concedes he was somewhat disappointed with his 2016 season.

“I came into the year with high expectations on myself, and to be honest, I didn’t live up to it.” Parfitt said on Mix 104.9’s Balls ‘n’ All with Jacko.

“I battled through a groin injury this year, which was annoying because you want to put your best foot forward in your draft year.
“It’s something that I’ll learn from.”

But talent does not just disintegrate and after overcoming that troublesome groin injury, the bright young talent was able to finish off the 2016 season with some eye-catching football.

A highlight was his dominant 47-possession performance in a SANFL U18s game.

“I try to improve with every aspect of my footy.

“I always want to improve my fitness, with the position I play – midfield or high half forward – you’ve got to really be able to run at the next level.”

As for Parfitt’s predictions on which name will be read out first in Friday night’s draft.

“Huge McLuggage and Andrew McGrath are probably neck and neck but I think it’ll be McLuggage that goes to the Bombers.”

Talks well... natural high forward /mid perhaps he will fit that role better than a Caddy..and thats part of their thinking. Going from a 15 to an R3 pick and we jump in at 26.... sounds very Wellls.

Plenty of people with question marks over Parfitt's kicking, but I'm not entirely sure why. I've seen him play since he was a young kid and he's always been fairly polished and creative with his foot skills. If his groins were 100% this year, I wouldn't have been surprised if he went in the top ten. Based purely on exposed form at junior and senior level in the Northern Territory, I'd have him above Nakia Cockatoo at the same age. The thing that stood out with Nakia was his attributes (pace, size, booming kick etc.) rather than his form, albeit he struggled with injuries so you have to cut him some slack. This is not a dig at Nakia either, I'd also have Parfitt a fair way ahead of Daniel Rioli, who we grabbed at selection 15 (and I am not unhappy with that either).

I can only comment on what I see..which is limited. And his kicking seems neat rather than penetrative. Is he a line breaker cause to me he looks more like a Shagga Byrnes than a Wojo type.. someone that will get to a lot spots to get the ball. Nakia on the other hand is low possession high affect. The same as what GAblett was till he learned to build and work to possessions.
A concern will be what he has to do to separate himself from the other smalls we have ..Gregson and Lang and Linc McCarthy and now Narkle I guess. It helps to have that bit of high end to garner selection.

Mainly because we hang around in finals not winning them like a bad smell and we give away our top picks for mediocre mature players that won't take us to a flag. We need speed, I really think we should've gone for Shai Bolton, but at least we got a small forward even if he is one paced - regardless we won't be doing anything of any significance any time soon so hopefully this kid can hang around until there's a time when the GFC has a better coach and dynamic skillful players around him to help him have maximum impact.
No wonder you're wearing a black hat in that image you use. What a pessimist. Do you ever feel upbeat about anything at all to do with the GFC? St Kilda or Richmond is the right place for you. You'd get on so well with the black hats at those clubs.

No wonder you're wearing a black hat in that image you use. What a pessimist. Do you ever feel upbeat about anything at all to do with the GFC? St Kilda or Richmond is the right place for you. You'd get on so well with the black hats at those clubs.

I wouldn't even bother with him.

The only poster on a football forum to have his posts removed from a thread about someone passing away. He opened up the thread with the intention of finding something to complain about. A man of pure class ethics and intelligence there. Why? Because he has no awareness of anything in life besides negativity around him.

I can only comment on what I see..which is limited. And his kicking seems neat rather than penetrative. Is he a line breaker cause to me he looks more like a Shagga Byrnes than a Wojo type.. someone that will get to a lot spots to get the ball. Nakia on the other hand is low possession high affect. The same as what GAblett was till he learned to build and work to possessions.
A concern will be what he has to do to separate himself from the other smalls we have ..Gregson and Lang and Linc McCarthy and now Narkle I guess. It helps to have that bit of high end to garner selection.

They're probably fair comments. I'm not suggesting he'll definitely be a better footballer than Nakia or Daniel Rioli but his form as a junior was far more impressive. I'd agree with the sentiments about Parfitt being a neat, rather than penetrative kick, and even though he has fairly good speed, he's probably not a line-breaker. I think Mathew Stokes is a good comparison for Parfitt.

This is an article written in May by Christopher Doerre (ESPN AFL Draft Expert)

In a losing Northern Territory team against a full-strength Sandringham Dragons outfit, Brandon Parfitt demonstrated his considerable athletic ability despite the heavy loss.

The 177cm midfielder primarily plays for North Adelaide in the SANFL competition this year but also represents his home state (Northern Territory) in the TAC Cup, as he did on Saturday.

Several times during the match, Parfitt launched brilliant solo runs, getting spectators off their feet. The most eye-catching was a run that began at the right half-back flank. At speed, Parfitt ran into the centre square where he avoided two tacklers, dished off by hand to a teammate, continued running, received the ball again and kept sprinting forward. At the left half-forward flank, Parfitt kicked long to the advantage of a team-mate in the goal square for what should have been a certain goal, but his team-mate could not finish off Parfitt's brilliant play.

Parfitt can also baffle opponents in unconventional ways. Once in the centre square, he received the ball on the move and then stopped without warning. Everyone else on the field seemed to stop to watch what Parfitt would do next, and then, after a three-second pause, Parfitt accelerated again, dancing around opposition midfielders in front of him. It encapsulated his great balance, composure and ability to accelerate from a standing start.

While Parfitt is a running machine, he also offers other areas of strength. Representing the AIS Academy in their game against VFL side Werribee, what stood out most with Parfitt was his tackling and energy around the ball, using his speed to apply great pressure on opposition midfielders. He stood up in tackles, getting handballs off and even pick-pocketed the ball from the hands of an opponent in general play.

Parfitt also has good contested-ball winning ability and is a capable mark for his size and good one-on-one player, who can win contests both overhead and at ground level.

Analysis

Where improvement is needed in Parfitt's game is in his work by foot. He is generally a good decision-maker with ball in hand, showing creativity at times. He is not affected by pressure as many who struggle by foot can be, so he looks very capable with ball in hand in those respects.

The issue is, he's prone to committing bad turnovers and missing target by foot. Often the weighting on his kicks are slightly off. This issue was particularly evident for AIS against Werribee when several of his kicks resulted in missed opportunities or bad turnovers. Because Parfitt boasts fine decision-making, composure and creativity with ball in hand, his footskills do look fixable, so that will be something to track over the course of the season.

As a sub-180cm midfielder with possibly suspect footskills, Parfitt's draft position is unclear at this early stage, but given the strength of his performances early season, his competitiveness and running ability, Parfitt may receive first round consideration if he continues his improvement and cleans up his work by foot and hits his targets more consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back