Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Grigg at the MRC after match function, it's a dislocated ankle, which is better than a break. A chance to get back before the year's out.

Unlikely, especially if he has done the ligaments and tendons. I did my ankle at the season launch. 3 and a half months later and it is STILL giving me grief.

Will be lucky to be seen again this year, imo.

Positive news!
Haere Ra

GREAT!!! :rainbow::thumbsu:

WTF is the "Positive news"????? :mad:

It's just a few weeks and we'll be OK?

I want him back. Good player that makes us better. And I really feel for him. So many injuries and he's always come back really solid.

How long would a dislocation put him out for?
Im guessing being an ankle there could be a lot of tendon damage. It still looked to be dislocated when he was being taken off the stretcher as well.
How the F would you put a dislocated ankle back into place.....yuk
Best case I would presume would be 8-12 weeks
Worst-12 months.
Hopefully he still re-signs.
Mark Coughlan #2

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't have a full break but an avulsion fracture with the way his ankle rolled in the posterior direction.

If that is the case, it will probably be 6-8weeks for the fracture. The worst part will be if he has done ligament or tendon damage. As the Orthopedic doctor said to me, you are better off breaking an ankle completely than fracturing it and doing ligament/tendon damage because there is no established healing time frame for it.

Im guessing being an ankle there could be a lot of tendon damage. It still looked to be dislocated when he was being taken off the stretcher as well.
Worst-12 months.
Mark Coughlan #2
Here's some idea mate. but depending on the severity these figures differ:

https://www.stoneclinic.com/ankle-dislocation-rehab-protocol

Also gotta remember that the rehab a professional athlete goes through is a lot more thorough than that of a everyday person. You just have to look at Boyd from the WB to realise how much quicker rehabbing something can be in a professional environment.

Also gotta remember that the rehab a professional athlete goes through is a lot more thorough than that of a everyday person. You just have to look at Boyd from the WB to realise how much quicker rehabbing something can be in a professional environment.
Yep and Lin Jong 2016 I think. Did his collarbone in the EF and then 2 weeks later was BOG in their reserves flag.

Obviously this is a more severe injury but he'll be back sooner rather than later. Shame that he misses the continuity of a full season though.

Yep and Lin Jong 2016 I think. Did his collarbone in the EF and then 2 weeks later was BOG in their reserves flag.

Obviously this is a more severe injury but he'll be back sooner rather than later. Shame that he misses the continuity of a full season though.
Exactly. Plus the fact that he's gone through so much rehab, he knows exactly how the process works and the mental strength needed to get through it

No surgery required for Conca.

RICHMOND’s Reece Conca has dodged a bullet and will not require surgery on a badly dislocated ankle after being stretchered from the ground on Thursday night.
There were fears Conca, who was celebrating his 100th game, would miss as many as 12 months due to a graphic broken lower leg, but Fox Footy understands scans have returned a positive diagnosis for the 25-year-old.

Richmond is expected to confirm the length of Conca’s absence soon, but it will be significantly shorter than what many thought on Thursday night.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ri...t/news-story/b5086ccf4d529f8459f5b7afe3efdeb7

Last edited:
No surgery required for Conca.

RICHMOND’s Reece Conca has dodged a bullet and will not require surgery on a badly dislocated ankle after being stretchered from the ground on Thursday night.
There were fears Conca, who was celebrating his 100th game, would miss as many as 12 months due to a graphic broken lower leg, but Fox Footy understands scans have returned a positive diagnosis for the 25-year-old.

Richmond is expected to confirm the length of Conca’s absence soon, but it will be significantly shorter than what many thought on Thursday night.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ri...t/news-story/b5086ccf4d529f8459f5b7afe3efdeb7
Thank *. Felt so flat watching that happen to him in 100th. Hope he gets back later in the year.

I wonder how long it was dislocated for. Don't quote me, but I know with a shoulder, usually the longer it's out the more damage is done to the connective tissues, so I'm sure it would be the same for an ankle dislocation. Hopefully it was put back in before getting to hospital!

Either way, great ******* news and if I see him around Hawthorn any time soon I'll let him know he's pushing his bloody luck and he's not allowed anymore injuries.

Almost sounds ridiculous but depending on the dislocation it can actually be worse long term.
Can only speak on my own experience but I dislocated an ankle 13 years ago and it still goes on me quite easily. It has become horribly loose and unstable and a few players have really struggled with footy after similar injuries.
Hopefully Reece maintains some strength and stability in his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst-12 months.
Mark Coughlan #2
dislocated ankle will be 2-3 months. So prob back to play VFL finals. broken and he'll come back sometime around round 10 next year. rehab for dislocation is just strengthening the ligaments and muscels, and hopefully not surgery on the ligaments.

There was the golfer a few months ago who popped his ankle then put it back in himself, strapped it and did a full PGA tournament.

Almost sounds ridiculous but depending on the dislocation it can actually be worse long term.
Can only speak on my own experience but I dislocated an ankle 13 years ago and it still goes on me quite easily. It has become horribly loose and unstable and a few players have really struggled with footy after similar injuries.
Not sure you had the expert advise that Reece would get, maybe you did, but it sounds like you must have had some ligament damage as well to make it unstable. Surely they would operate if there was serious ligament damage, ankle surgery is quite common. Just thinking positive.

Not sure you had the expert advise that Reece would get, maybe you did, but it sounds like you must have had some ligament damage as well to make it unstable. Surely they would operate if there was serious ligament damage, ankle surgery is quite common. Just thinking positive.
Hopefully. It’s a shithouse part of the body to injure badly for a footballer. Stopped Daisy Thomas in his tracks and Jesse Smith would have been a great player but just never got going due to bad ankle dislocations.

Dislocated my knee 3 times now... the last was while getting something out of the back seat of my car... nfi how! :huh:

Hope he makes a full and quick recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back