Past #31: Braydon Preuss - traded to Melbourne FC with #62 - NMFC received Dom Tyson - thx Preussy

Remove this Banner Ad

$270,000 base with various incentives, net is about $320,000 after all is said and done. Upper end circa $400,000 if he nailed all his clauses. Not super great money in AFL terms but reflective of his standing on a list.

Note: this is complete bullshit but about as accurate as any comments you'll see on player remuneration here
giphy.gif

Does Pruess having 2 years to run on a contract not mean a club must satisfy our needs before we agree to the trade? I also doubt any club would trade 5 for Pruess and 11, but then again we ain't a charity for other clubs and Pruess is contracted.

Does Pruess having 2 years to run on a contract not mean a club must satisfy our needs before we agree to the trade? I also doubt any club would trade 5 for Pruess and 11, but then again we ain't a charity for other clubs and Pruess is contracted.
And ruckmen are a rare commodity at the moment

Behind the "best ruckman in the comp"

Four year contract. Can't wrap my head around it. What is Melbourne's second rounder

Melbourne Give up: Tyson, Pick 50
Melbourne Receive: Pruess, Pick 41

GC Give up: Pick 17, Pick 26, Pick 41
GC Receive: Tyson, Pick 28, Pick 50, Future 3rd round pick

North Give up: Pruess, Pick 28, Future 3rd round pick.
North Receive: Pick 17 & Pick 26

Dunno if the points/numbers work out, but this looks decent on paper.

If there is ever a time for our club to make a stand and show that we won't be pushed around, it is now. The arrogance of reports of him signing with Melb for 4 years, whilst still contracted to us for another 2, is astounding. Geelong have just come out and said Top 10 pick or nothing for Kelly, Freo saying more than pick 5 for Neale. Grow a pair Joyce & co, doubt it happens though

If there is ever a time for our club to make a stand and show that we won't be pushed around, it is now. The arrogance of reports of him signing with Melb for 4 years, whilst still contracted to us for another 2, is astounding. Geelong have just come out and said Top 10 pick or nothing for Kelly, Freo saying more than pick 5 for Neale. Grow a pair Joyce & co, doubt it happens though

I agree we need to take a stand but not a great comparison with those two;

Kelly and Neale finished too the B&F at their clubs, polled big in the Brownlow and played plenty of AFL footy last year

Preuss - didn't play a game, is largely unproven and according to our own board - not rated by the club.

That's not great leverage.

Having said that, he's contracted and we need points in the draft so get those points!

Can't say Joyce has the same leverage Geelong and Freo have though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree we need to take a stand but not a great comparison with those two;

Kelly and Neale finished too the B&F at their clubs, polled big in the Brownlow and played plenty of AFL footy last year

Preuss - didn't play a game, is largely unproven and according to our own board - not rated by the club.

That's not great leverage.

Having said that, he's contracted and we need points in the draft so get those points!

Can't say Joyce has the same leverage Geelong and Freo have though

I get that and agree with much of what you say. However, he is a contracted player playing a position that many clubs value (ready to go ruckman). He should only be traded on terms that suit us, not the player or MFC. Clubs need to hold contracted players more accountable

I get that and agree with much of what you say. However, he is a contracted player playing a position that many clubs value (ready to go ruckman). He should only be traded on terms that suit us, not the player or MFC. Clubs need to hold contracted players more accountable

Agreed and we need points / return or it's not a win/win

The club will know what they need better than us though

so if it gets it done and doesn't look as good as we would like - it might be enough to achieve what the club is trying to do and allows them time to move on and get said things done.

I'm hoping Brayden still sticks it out with us as he could definitely have a role once the midfield pace issues are addressed and we can play 2 rucks.

However, if the club decides he should go I want to see something worthwhile in return for our investment in him.

He was a freakin' rugby player when he arrived and now he's arguably the hottest emerging ruck in the competition.

North Melbourne did that, no one else.

I'm hoping Brayden still sticks it out with us as he could definitely have a role once the midfield pace issues are addressed and we can play 2 rucks.

However, if the club decides he should go I want to see something worthwhile in return for our investment in him.

He was a freakin' rugby player when he arrived and now he's arguably the hottest emerging ruck in the competition.

If it's true that he's after the job security that a 4 year deal with the Dees will provide, you'd hope that he'd be amenable to the fact that in another two years he'd be looking down the barrel of the number 1 ruck spot right here. Xerri has potential, but there's nothing to suggest that he'll work with the 90% ruck time that Goldy does now.

If it's true that he's after the job security that a 4 year deal with the Dees will provide, you'd hope that he'd be amenable to the fact that in another two years he'd be looking down the barrel of the number 1 ruck spot right here. Xerri has potential, but there's nothing to suggest that he'll work with the 90% ruck time that Goldy does now.

Pruess couldn’t now or I believe ever ruck 90% in a match

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I also prefer that he stays, but understandably, it's no longer an attractive option for him.

Melbourne have either played this really well and set themselves up to have a real crack at the flag in the next couple of years with increased height and physicality around the ball and up forward, or they've overpaid for a Casey player. At least he'll get an early opportunity to show what he can do.

Pruess couldn’t now or I believe ever ruck 90% in a match

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In 2017 he solo rucked a game against Geelong with 82% tog. That was his 2nd game of AFL football.

In his 3rd game of football, along side Goldy, his tog was 80%.

Why does Preuss have to play 90% tog? Goldy hasnt for 4 years now. Grundy never has and neither has Gawn.

Preuss' tank is fine.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Such a weird trade imo

He is guaranteed games at melb though?
The whole situation is weird.

Extend his contract, don't play him, then apparently decide we don't rate him and tell him he's free to look at his options.....then he decides to go to a club with one of the top 2 ruckmen....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The whole situation is weird.

Extend his contract, don't play him, then apparently decide we don't rate him and tell him he's free to look at his options.....then he decides to go to a club with one of the top 2 ruckmen....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
At first glance it looks weird, but obviously Goodwin has a plan and is willing to pay bloody good money to enaction it.

Gawn could ruck centre bounces and play a kick behind the ball. Preuss rucks everything else. Preuss fwd/ruck, Gawn fwd/ruck etc

There are multiple scenarios that could work in the right team, we just didnt really try any of them.

At first glance it looks weird, but obviously Goodwin has a plan and is willing to pay bloody good money to enaction it.

Gawn could ruck centre bounces and play a kick behind the ball. Preuss rucks everything else. Preuss fwd/ruck, Gawn fwd/ruck etc

There are multiple scenarios that could work in the right team, we just didnt really try any of them.

Inability to try new things

Inability to try new things
From memory, I think Goldy and Preuss played 3 games together. Not a massive exploration into whether both could work lol

I really thought we missed a trick by not playing Preuss when Waite/Wood both out last season. Could of rucked Preuss and played Goldy forward or vice versa.

Doubt it plays out the same way if Preuss had a sniff of action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back