Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayden Ham​

Key stats: One goal, 20 disposals, seven marks, three tackles

"'Hammy' was on restricted game time, about 75 per cent, but he was still able to find the footy for us. He runs really good corridor patterns and is a connector between defence and attack. He should have had two or three goals, but missed one and didn't get used on another. It wasn't a dominant performance from Hammy, but he was a strong contributor."

Or Langford. Do you fly someone with a recoverd/recovering cork over to WA?
If Parish is good to go I think he comes straight back in. After last nights performance and injuries aside you'd have to drop one of D'Ambrosio, Guelfi or Durham to fit Langford and Parish in which would be incredibly harsh on one of those three so Langford only comes in if Parish isn't fit I think. Draper and Phillips are proving to be a cohesive ruck duo so you'd have to persist with both of them IMO.

Disagree entirely. The entire point of drafting someone is to see if they can make the step up.
Fair enough but the key question is always how long (and how many chances) do you allow in order to find out?

The frustration with Ham is that his best is a style we otherwise lack, so one wants to persevere. But when you compare him to A graders who consistently do what we hope Ham might.. he’s miles off and I think we will be waiting a lot longer, maybe forever.

The Brayden Ham effect strikes again

season 8 episode 6 GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to keep him on the VFL list next year if he wants to stay around the club but we've seen enough exposed form to know his chances at AFL level are pretty much shot. He does good things in the VFL though and would be handy to keep on the list.

I think it makes sense to use him as the sub. He’s close to zero chance of being retained next year so his development in the VFL should not be a priority.

Probably best for Ham as well. Nothing he can do at VFL will earn him a spot on the list so has to hope for the chance to prove himself at AFL level

It wasn't a great game when he came on but it must be hard when you are trying to battle for a contract or list spot haven't had great AFL form and you sit on the pine for a half not knowing if you are going to see game time.
He's not a burst player so kind of feel like he is set up to fail in that role.

I don't envy those who play sub. I'm sure he is dirty about the way he performed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back