Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Did ok but pulled out of a contest at one point when he really should have gone. Hopefully he goes hard at the next one.
Yep that was a disappointing effort, but was also surprising as he put his body on the line in a similar contest earlier in the match

I reckon he's very promising. Whether or not he stays in the side for finals I don't know ( I hope so though) but I see his long term future as being a Zaharakis replacement in terms of role. He'll be a good dangerous winger/outside mid type in time. In the short term his best chance is getting gigs as a small forward though.

I just hope he can keep his pace as he puts weight on.. Because right now he's built like a stick.

Was a pretty physical game and I thought it intimidated him a little as it wore on. That’s fine, it happens....he’s a skinny kid and that was a hot footy.

Seems brave enough on balance of what we’ve seen from him. Don’t think this is a career issue for him.

Was a pretty physical game and I thought it intimidated him a little as it wore on. That’s fine, it happens....he’s a skinny kid and that was a hot footy.

Seems brave enough on balance of what we’ve seen from him. Don’t think this is a career issue for him.

He put his head on the line when he needed too for the most part. For a skinny kid he didn't look completely out of his depth. I liked what he did to start with, just needed it for more than 30/12 minutes last night.

I hope we don't pigeon hole another running player into a fwd pocket like Jackson Merrett, Jake Long (albeit back pocket), the list could go on of recent years. Use his strengths and that is his running power.

Also worth noting that not going when you should isn’t always a softness thing can be a confidence thing.

Reminds me of 2013 Jackson Merrett.

Send him to Gaff and say to not bother about getting a kick himself.

Nuh, in all honesty, hope we don't Jackson Merrett this kid and turn him into something he's not. His engine is possibly Brayden's biggest strength so locking him into a F50 spot is a recipe for disaster. Uses it well, runs hard and tackles somewhat ok for a kid who's 75kg's ringing wet. I like him

Nuh, in all honesty, hope we don't Jackson Merrett this kid and turn him into something he's not. His engine is possibly Brayden's biggest strength so locking him into a F50 spot is a recipe for disaster. Uses it well, runs hard and tackles somewhat ok for a kid who's 75kg's ringing wet. I like him
Forwards these days need to cover as much ground as anyone. I wouldn't worry that him playing forward will rob us and him of his biggest strength, his running capacity. I think it's more a question of where his skills / characteristics fit best. Is he imposing enough to be a modern winger who can mark the footy and win one on one contests as well as be a surging link player? Is he a goalkicker?

Some size will help for sure… but I like what I see and reckon he will be a gun. Forward first and wing more as the next couple of years progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you got him in the side for Thursday?

Essendon development coach Cam Roberts has singled out youngsters Kobe Mutch, Dylan Clarke and Brayden Ham for their improvement this pre-season.

“Brayden Ham is still only a second-year player, but he has taken some big strides this pre-season. "

Would love to see this bloke force his way into the side. Has genuine game breaking pace and skill that should really start troubling side when you combine it with our other speedsters.

Would love to see this bloke force his way into the side. Has genuine game breaking pace and skill that should really start troubling side when you combine it with our other speedsters.

Think he'll play a handful of games again this year, probably still needs to put on weight but he's certainly got the right tools (endurance, good skills, reads the play well, uses the ball well) from what I've seen in his AFL games already.

Cant see why he cant be what Scully is

Scullys game revolves around his amazing running capability which has been hampered a little by all his injuries so hes no longer the best runner in the game

But Ham has got better foot skills and if he can get that running ability up from good to elite then he can make it as a winger. Still think half back is an option if his foot skills become elite. Seems to have the right mindset of defending

Scullys game revolves around his amazing running capability which has been hampered a little by all his injuries so hes no longer the best runner in the game

But Ham has got better foot skills and if he can get that running ability up from good to elite then he can make it as a winger. Still think half back is an option if his foot skills become elite. Seems to have the right mindset of defending
I don't understand why you'd waste a 360 degree player off half back when we have so few of them.

Scully played in the centre square a bit when at the dees and showed some real ability in traffic. Remember him nearly single handedly winning a game vs the dogs. Did Ham spend much time doing this as a junior? Think it could only help as even on a wing or at half back you have to work in traffic quite often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back