Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

has a ripper instagram username @vicksvapourrub.
and his twitter @edvickerswillis

would have been happy to take him at pick 25, him and durdin are steals

Club couldn't get his name out quick enough when the pick came around.

He was the man they were hoping to get once was still there for sure !!!!

Welcome EVW

has a ripper instagram username @vicksvapourrub.
and his twitter @edvickerswillis

would have been happy to take him at pick 25, him and durdin are steals

Amusingly can be roughly translated in French as; 'Vicks goes for (a) rub', he'd fit in well here.

more from chris25...

Edward Vickers-Willis
Height: 190cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Defender

If there is one thing AFL fans seem to love more than anything, it's players with hyphenated names and it's something that this draft is full of. And the best of them may well be Ed Vickers-Willis from Sandringham. The versatile tall is slowly climbing the draft boards after an impressive U18 Championships for Vic Metro saw him claim the full back spot in the All Australian side. But he is so much more than just a full back.

I know a few people have questioned his spot in the All Australian team from the U18 Championships, but that is solely around positioning as opposed to whether or not he deserved it. While he missed the opening match, Vickers-Willis then went on to average 16 disposals at over 80% efficiency, along with 4 marks and 3 rebound 50s a game. As with what seems like a lot of players, his best two games came early in the tournament before the matchs were televised. In Round 3 against Vic Country he finished with 25 disposals, while the next week against South Australia Vickers-Willis recorded the 16 disposals at 100% efficiency. But as I said, he didn't really play as a full back - despite being named there in the All Australian side. More of a third tall defender, he played further up the ground around the CHB spot pushing both up into the midfield as well as down back to give his teammates a chop out. Without a doubt, that's his best role. But, it's not all he can do. In his handful of TAC Cup games over the past two years, Vickers-Willis has done most things. Last year, he tended to play the more dour roles down back with the occasional moment up forward. But this year for Sandringham, he has been awarded the chance to stretch his legs a bit more in the midfield - with stints both on a wing, and in the guts. Three games in the bests to start the season put his name in lights and got people thinking about what could be for the 190cm Vickers-Willis.

As I wrote before though, it's the back lines in which I see Vickers-Willis forging his career. Teams may be tempted to develop him as that tall midfielder, but I think it would be wasted. Players like Fyfe, Macrae and Bontempelli may have gone from underage utilites to AFL midfielders but it's not as simple as that. Vickers-Willis doesn't quite have the same natural ability, speed or that one thing that sets him apart. A hard working and clean player, his game is just best suited to defence.

Vickers-Willis reminds me a bit of Michael Johnson from Fremantle, although a little shorter. He has a similar skill set and similar strengths. As that hard to match up on third tall defender, he is equally as good in the air and on the ground. He reads the ball well as it's coming in, and is a clean mark above his head. He also knows when to spoil though, and does seem to get a hand in right as it's needed most. On the rebound, he is a good player to have the ball in the hands of. Like Johnson, he isn't the quickest but makes the right decision and knows where the gaps are. And again, like Johnson, he has an awkward kicking style that seems to work for him - as seen by his efficiency during the Championships. But for all the talk of his kicking, his handballing is his biggest strength and more often than not it is his first choice. And when needed, Vickers-Willis has proven himself in a more defensive role. He just works hard, and sticks to his task - be it an offensive or defensive one.

As I project him to be a defender, not a midfielder, I suppose his versatility may be a slight area of weakness. But with the importance of that rebounding tall defender nowadays, teams are drafting specifically for that position and willing to do so quite high. You could question how his kicking technique will hold up under AFL level pressure - particularly as he does lack a yard of pace. But it's working pretty well for him at the moment. His biggest area of weakness is simply that he doesn't really excel in any one particular area. He is good and clean at most things, but doesn't have that one attribute that makes you stand up and take notice.

So, the all important draft position? It seems a lot of people have him going around #20 at the moment, and for me that would be the absolute top of his range. Similar to the likes of Tom Cutler and Kamdyn McIntosh from previous years, somewhere closer to the 30-40 range seems about right to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting pick. Hopefully the club has plans to develop him into a midfielder, his games in the carnival were solid but he is one of those types that doesn't really stand out.

Too small to make it as a key defender, and as I've mentioned before isn't damaging enough to play as a creative type across half back. there are a lot of players who I would have preferred but I'll back the club in to get the best out of him.

Is a seriously intelligent and hard working kid which should hold him in good stead for an AFL career.

Already been mentioned in this article, where he states he wants to do commerce-law, where they state it has "prompted some clubs to ask if there’s a chance he could prematurely retire to enter the corporate world."
Never read that, went purely on his name.

Wendell_Borton.JPG

Welcome Ed!

Sounds like he's an absolute elite kick. I can't wait to get a look at him in Royal Blue and White.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back