Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing, this guy was in my best 22 for next year. Reads the game well, has poise and generally uses the ball well. I could see him developing into a no frills, a steady hand in our back six for the next 5 years. It seems the writing was on the wall when we picked up Corr and Young, although he at least deserved a Rookie Listing. Corr has proven himself, Young not so yet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just out of curiousity, with McKay, Tarrant, Corr and J.Walker, how could VW possibly be in your best 22?

We will struggle to fit J.Walker into our best 22 next year and the guy finished top 10 in our BnF.

I like the man too, but the difference between BF and the list management team is that they have access to his athletic testing, which may well show some deterioration post-injury. Same I suspect with Majak
Majak, EVW and Jacobs all arguably injury related delisting's with Brown possibly an injury related trade. Wood also couldnt get on the park consistently enough.

How ******* lucky is Garner with his 2021 contract. Honestly kissed on the dick all things considering.

Last edited:
Disappointing, this guy was in my best 22 for next year. Reads the game well, has poise and generally uses the ball well. I could see him developing into a no frills, a steady hand in our back six for the next 5 years. It seems the writing was on the wall when we picked up Corr and Young, although he at least deserved a Rookie Listing. Corr has proven himself, Young not so yet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ed has played 21 games since been drafted in 2014. His game style is that of a poor man's JMac. Have no idea how you've got him in the best 22, in place of which player? If BMac, Tarrant, Corr, LMac, and possibly Hayden are locks you'd need a more damaging ball user in the other spot.

We're all disappointed, especially for Campbell who will need to run the podcast on his own now but if we are serious about winning premierships then keeping average players on the list cause their good blokes who are luckless isn't what we should be doing.

I put Garner, Walker, EVW in the similar status of can offer something but always find a way to miss games. Unfortunately for EVW he doesn't have the potential higher ceiling of the other two.

100% the right decision. Unfortunately injuries have cooked him and you couldn't see him being best 22 ahead of Corr moving forward.

Was a bit hard listening to that interview tbh.

I think he was as gracious as possible but you could tell was fairly pissed over how he was cut, more so than getting cut itself. You can tell he's a class act.

I don't have any real problem with delisting him (I would have given him another year). I do have a problem if he's been given no feedback as to the delisting and got the chop over the phone in a short and sharp phone call.

6 years, a few knee's, probably 5+ surgeries and a guy who was a young leader around the club deserved better imo (If that is infact how it went down).

It's disappointing when bridges get burnt with some players, as it appears it has here.

People are flippant about list management decisions etc. But this is sometimes the reality and knock on effect of bad contracts for the likes of Tyson and Hall imo.

I've no doubt if Tyson, Campbell or Hall's contracts were up instead of 2021, Ed probably gets a year.

Last edited:
Was a bit hard listening to that interview tbh.

I think he was as gracious as possible but you could tell was fairly pissed over how he was cut, more so than getting cut itself. You can tell he's a class act.

I don't have any real problem with delisting him (I would have given him another year). I do have a problem if he's been given no feedback as to the delisting and got the chop over the phone in a short and sharp phone call.

6 years, a few knee's, probably 5+ surgeries and a guy who was a young leader around the club deserved better imo (If that is infact how it went down).

It's disappointing when bridges get burnt with some players, as it appears it has here.

People are flippant about list management decisions etc. But this is sometimes the reality and knock on effect of bad contracts for the likes of Tyson and Hall imo.

I've no doubt if Tyson, Campbell or Hall's contracts were up instead of 2021, Ed probably gets a year.

Pykie I was concerned about this as well because all reports are that EVW is respected & much loved around the club.

Initially I was disappointed and worried that EVW didn’t mention the club or talk positively of his time with us. I had expected him to be gracious & positive, in keeping with his reputation.

However, EVW noted that he was going to follow-up with the club for more feedback so that indicates no burnt bridges.

Given EVW was in Sydney, just finished his degree & using the interview to confirm he was open to offers & promoting himself as a potential recruit I feel somewhat better about what is a shitty process for all concerned.

Sounds like the football management team have recently watched Moneyball and have taken advice from Brad Pitt on how to tell players they're cut.

He gets about 10 touches a game in the VFL , one of them teams will probably take him if he can be bothered playing football.

I really liked EVW but if I’m reading between the lines the club is sick of ‘solid citizens’ type players unfortunately always finding ways of not getting on the park and is thus clearing them out. When you’ve been around 6-7 years and haven’t reached 50 games and it’s a case of one injury after the another then your position on the list must be closely looked at. List spots are at a premium now.

I really liked EVW but if I’m reading between the lines the club is sick of ‘solid citizens’ type players unfortunately always finding ways of not getting on the park and is thus clearing them out. When you’ve been around 6-7 years and haven’t reached 50 games and it’s a case of one injury after the another then your position on the list must be closely looked at. List spots are at a premium now.

That's right, during scott's time, we had a dozen or so of these good blokes who continued to miss games but kept on the list. That's why we don't have too many players leaving because work conditions were too comfortable. Competition for spots are not very fierce and when you get someone who wants to up and go, he is ostricized. We have cut the layer above the youngsters to clear the air and right the culture. I suppose there was a reason why we kept the perennially unfit player on the list longer than other clubs because we needed stability. But we are nearing the elimination of debt hence we are on path to running a successful business model, something we havne't done even during the Carey-Pagan-Miller days. We are getting the team right, this and 2021's draft will complete our flag assaulting team. Everything is so clear to me now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything is so clear to me now.

The gods have spoken: The time of the purification is at hand.

"
char(68)
char(69)
char(65)
char(84)
char(73)
char(84)
char(81)
char(65)
char(76)
char(76)
"

That's what you really meant isn't it!

I do have a problem if he's been given no feedback as to the delisting and got the chop over the phone in a short and sharp phone call.

That's pretty much how it was done with others this year. Very abrupt and to the point.

Majak, EVW and Jacobs all arguably injury related delisting's with Brown possibly an injury related trade. Wood also couldnt get on the park consistently enough.

How ******* lucky is Garner with his 2021 contract. Honestly kissed on the dick all things considering.

Worked his guts out this year. Him and Luke have had a complete about face, matured now, sensible blokes, emerging leaders.

Made his own luck.

Worked his guts out this year. Him and Luke have had a complete about face, matured now, sensible blokes, emerging leaders.

Made his own luck.
And most importantly, he hasn’t lost his pace or athleticism like others have.

Some reactions are a little over the top.

I trust fully what we are doing at the moment and liking the ruthlessness.

Hope he gets a go at another club.

Yeah it’s not a huge deal. He probably did get reasons but he is upset and Emotional atm and plus he can always search for further clarity if he wanted too (he mentioned in the interview)

6 years and * all footy, we can’t keep a player on our list all based on some “luck” that he gets his body right

To be honest I'm not surprised he was cut so I have no idea why he might be or what he expected to hear.

I wish him well and seems a top bloke but you can't be carried forever if don't play unless special talent outweighs or impacts that call.

Last edited:

Made his own luck.

True but I genuinely believe Shaw is not given enough credit as well - I have no doubt he sparked them to switch on.

Last edited:
True but I genuinely believe Shaw is not given enough credit as well - I have no doubt he sparked them to switch on.

Luke breaking his leg most of all.

Yeah it’s not a huge deal. He probably did get reasons but he is upset and Emotional atm and plus he can always search for further clarity if he wanted too (he mentioned in the interview)

6 years and fu** all footy, we can’t keep a player on our list all based on some “luck” that he gets his body right

Unfortunately correct & as Ed's an old school dependable dour type defender, then there's little in the way of X factor that has probably kept TG on the list.

He'll go on to bigger & better things outside footy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back