Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like much of your good work has gone unnoticed by me.

had a purple patch circa 2014-2016, then I got promoted to a role at work that required me to do actual work haha

Club has finally got a video and an article about him up on the website, apparently he was on his honeymoon over the trade period... excuses excuses lol

He impressed with limited opportunities in the senior side again this year, averaging 11.4 disposals and 29.4 hitouts from his five matches. And despite some frustrations, Phillips said he will take plenty out of those impressive efforts going forward.

“I built a lot of confidence out of this year and had some really solid performances,” he said.

“There was a bit of inconsistency there and it’s something I’ll look to build on. It was frustrating at times, but that’s the AFL in general.”

Phillips stands 202cm tall and said his tap work and mobility for his size are among his key strengths.

“My centre-bounce (work) is something that I pride myself on, it’s a real strength of mine and something I look to the table.

“Being able to cover the ground and take contested marks around the ground is obviously important for a big man.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think having Phillips with Bellchambers will be pretty much like having Leuenberger with Bellchambers instead of having Clarke. We won't suddenly have an amazing ruck division but we'll have two pretty solid options to call upon and won't be getting obliterated in the ruck. I still see Draper as the big hope for our ruck division but he'll need some time to get it all going after his ACL.

Inconsistency and still averaging elite hit outs. Makes me wonder what his good games looked like... and what the quality of his hit outs are 🤔

I looked at Stats Pro a while back; he's actually pretty solid technically (as is Bellchambers) with one of the highest Hitout-to-Advantage rates of the hitouts he wins.

If you watch the Carlton v Adelaide game he feeds Cripps pretty well there.

I think he's much of a muchness for Bellchambers, but at least it means we have two solid if not spectacular options instead of Clarke.

This was the bloke I wanted when he wanted out from GWS. Let's see how he goes. Hopefully he isn't the next Jonathan Giles.

First pre-season I thought Carlton got itself a quality ruck-man.
Phillips looked terrific at training and was leaping and marking over everyone and he still has good traits.
His problem is that he gets lost around the ground. Not quite in the way Hampson did (had no clue) but just doesn't know where the right spots are.

Can be damaging forward and maybe that's where you may find some time for him if Daniher isn't good to go.
I can guarantee you you'll see some good marks from him, whether it be at AFL or VFL level. Can take a grab and kick a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back