Past #35: Declan Watson - won't be offered a new contract - Thanks Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy averaged 5 marks, 20 disposals in the TAC cup @92% efficiency. Have to say I wasn't stoked at first but the more footage I watch the more his kicking and decision making impress me. When he bulks up I reckon he's a pretty sure bet to be an above average key back. Would also think he's much closer 194 than 191cm, doesn't look remotely undersized against any of the key forwards in his vision.

Screen_Shot_2016_11_26_at_7_39_10_pm.png

His stats at the champs were real impressive. If you drafted on stats alone he would have been taken earlier than our pick instead of being consider "taken too early".

U18 DIS DE% CP% IM IP SP SP% T SL SI R50 GBG M
WATSON QLD 15.3 78 46 4 9.7 4.7 64 1.3 3.7 4 2.7 4.7 4
WATSON ALL 15.5 84 32 3.5 5.5 3.5 86 1 0 1 2.5 3.5 5.5

Comparing to other KP Def.
Logue averaged 9 Dis @ 75% and 44% Contested, 0.8 IM 2.8 IP, 2 SP @ 88%.
Weitering averaged 13.5 Dis @ 70% and 44% Contested, 3.2 IM 6.3 IP, 2 SP @ 75%.​

Of Key Def in the last three years @ the camps

Only Lever and Frances ave more touches
Lever @ 17.5 as an bottom age
Frances @ 15.7 and he played a bit as a mid and forward as well​

Only Frances ave more intercept marks @ 4.5​

Cordy ave 4 spoils
Garthwaite, Maibaum, Lever (bottom age) & Goddard ave 3.5 spoils​

Of Key Def in the last two years @ the camps (don't have stats for this in 2014 except EVW)

Intercept Possessions above 5 per game
Frances ave IP @ 7.2
EVW ave IP @ 7
Weitering ave IP @ 6.3
K Collins ave IP @ 5.3

Spoil Efficiency in the 80's
Larkey 1.8 @ 86%
Logue 2 @ 88%
MaCreeadie (ALL) 1.5 @ 83%
Not sure how he went one on one contests but his other stats excluding tackles are impressive. Once he gets stronger and develops he could be a real talent.

Looks like he is playing today which says a bit for a 1st year key def (even though we have injuries).

Last edited:
FIRST-YEAR Kangaroos defender Declan Watson suffered a suspected serious knee injury at training on Thursday.

Watson, 18, crumbled to the Arden St surface clutching his left knee and was quickly surrounded by North Melbourne trainers.

He was able to walk from the ground with a trainer on each side of him, but was visibly distressed.

North Melbourne's medical staff immediately sent Watson for scans to determine the type of injury and severity.

The 194cm Aspley product returned in the VFL for Werribee at the weekend after a long absence with ankle and shin problems.

He was slated to play in the Development League, but a player shortage saw him play in the seniors and he was a strong performer.

Watson was the Kangaroos' second pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft at No.34 overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It never ends does it.

All the best Dec.

Waldron will probably say we're definitely tanking now. Won't say Ralphy as he actually knows some our 3rd+ rung players.

Dammit. A real bummer for Dec. I hope he can keep his head and fight his way back from this. It could be the makings of him, as seen with so many others throughout time, although his grip on a list spot must be tentative at best.

If we've seen enough potential in him then he's certainly young enough to persist with.

Dammit. A real bummer for Dec. I hope he can keep his head and fight his way back from this. It could be the makings of him, as seen with so many others throughout time, although his grip on a list spot must be tentative at best.

If we've seen enough potential in him then he's certainly young enough to persist with.
Hasn't he only been on our list since last year's draft? Was taken at pick 35 so must have something going for him....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back