Delisted #38: Nick Kommer - Delisted - 26/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that I really care to defend Kommer that much because he was woeful on Saturday in more ways than one, but don't be surprised to learn that not everything can be conveniently summarised onto an excel spreadsheet.
Never said everything could be.

But you'd hope at least ONE statistical measure could be used to help build a case. But for Kommer we don't get that. We just have to believe in his "pressure."

If it were his first game in 500 days he should've been trying to gain some form in the reserves. His NAB games weren't much chop and that was reflected on the weekend.

He tries, and he gives everything. I get that. I just don't think he's much chop as an AFL footballer.

I'm just hoping that Woosha has used this as an example that whilst it might be a tough year based on the suspensions, you won't get a game if you don't have a dip. He knew Kommer would have a dip so chose him above far more talented footballers. It's time for the talented players to pull their finger out and forever keep Kommer out of the side.

Yep - I'd be hoping this is the message guys like bird perceived from their omission and Kommers selection. Train hard play hard etc.

Never said everything could be.

But you'd hope at least ONE statistical measure could be used to help build a case. But for Kommer we don't get that. We just have to believe in his "pressure."

Been waiting for someone to use the old implied pressure! Surprised it hasn't surfaced yet.

Or he sacrificed his own game for the benefit of the team!

How much gametime has he had in the VFL? he did seem a step to slow out there, but Ill give him the benefit of the doubt as having not played football at that pace for 2-3 years

Is Nick Kommer our best player? No
Is Nick Kommer our best option for tagging? No
Do we have other young guns who would be a better choice in our starting lineup? Yes
Does the above equate to Nick Kommer being regarded as 'trash'? No
Should Bomber supporters eat their own? No

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and just like a**holes, sometimes you just need to keep quiet to prevent s#it talking. The kid is healthy and he tries his heart out for the jumper every time he plays.

Let's agree to disagree and move on from this rubbish convo.

It's all Komzis fault. Even causes fights amongst his own supporters! Nick 'the upsetter' Kommer.

I think if he was a car, he'd be a Suzuki MightyBoy ... Or perhaps a Lada.

It actually is.

The best sides in the comp don't have a player of his type.

So why do we?

Now I understand their lists are obviously better then ours this season but why not bring in a type of player who we'll use in the future? Kommer isn't a top up, he's not a one year wonder.

Why gift him games if we already know, as you said, we'll be asking WTF if he's in round 1 next season?

You just do not get it. It was a message from the coach. Other sides play s**t players as well when they are down. The message was if you do not want
to do the team things then i will play a bloke who will. If you want to be in the side then do the team stuff.
I know he is ordinary but as a coach you will often play an ordinary bloke who will give it all to prove the point and when you are not in finals contention and have a few other blokes either not ready to play or just coasting along it is the perfect time to play him.

No point bringing in the player of the future if he is not ready. What player of the future missed out this week because Kommer played ? Laverde not ready, Francis close but not ready. Long rookie list, Hams rookie list, McKenna rookie list, Ashby injured, Edwards not doing enough, Alex Morgan not 100% fit at the moment, Mason Redmond back play but not AFL ready yet, Yestin Eades battling through a few issues.

Would sooner play Kommer for a few rounds until one of the above mentioned is ready. Right now it is not do or die as far as Kommer goes.

McKenna was doing it.
And he is on the rookie list.So we promote another rookie when we have no long term injury. I know we can but at this stage why ?

Just because a premiership coach chooses a play does not make it the right call.

In the last few days Worsold and Roos have admitted to getting selections wrong.

Really AFL coaches get selection wrong, well blow me down. Just because it is your opinion does not make it the right call either. You are not privy to what is happening on the inside, who plays what role exactly or even the reasoning behind it.
Kommer is an ordinary player. Kommer gets selected because he is prepared to try and do the team stuff. Right now it does not matter a * that he is playing. When Laverde or Dempsey or Morgan or Edwards etc are ready fitness wise or doing what they need to be doing then it is a different issue.
At the moment those on the outside should be saying, i am better than that bloke so i need to play the team game be hard at it and i will get my spot.

Coaches like blokes who do team stuff or are at least prepared to try and do it. It also sends a message. We will be a crap side if we just select the best players without them doing what is required attitude wise as well as performance wise. It is pretty basic coaching stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say that if Lavdere plays a full game this week and plays at the level he did last Friday and is ready to go everyone has the right to say Laverde in Kommer out and question it if it does not happen.

If bird goes out this week in VFL and gets 40 possessions and a couple of goals whilst Kommer plays afl to his usual standard have we waited a week too long? I'd think bird will be fired up at either VFL or AFL level this week having been dropped.

You just do not get it.
Or alternatively I get your point and disagree.

Maybe consider that instead of arrogantly dismissing those that disagree.

But obviously you aren't going to change your mind. And I ain't changing mine so no point continuing this.

Really AFL coaches get selection wrong, well blow me down. Just because it is your opinion does not make it the right call either. You are not privy to what is happening on the inside, who plays what role exactly or even the reasoning behind it.
Kommer is an ordinary player. Kommer gets selected because he is prepared to try and do the team stuff. Right now it does not matter a **** that he is playing. When Laverde or Dempsey or Morgan or Edwards etc are ready fitness wise or doing what they need to be doing then it is a different issue.
At the moment those on the outside should be saying, i am better than that bloke so i need to play the team game be hard at it and i will get my spot.

Coaches like blokes who do team stuff or are at least prepared to try and do it. It also sends a message. We will be a crap side if we just select the best players without them doing what is required attitude wise as well as performance wise. It is pretty basic coaching stuff.

It's all premised on an assumption about doing the team things when there is no indication that the players who are available are not doing the team things when on the ground.

We don't need to be privy to what goes on at the club to see what is happening during games.

Or alternatively I get your point and disagree.

Maybe consider that instead of arrogantly dismissing those that disagree.

But obviously you aren't going to change your mind. And I ain't changing mine so no point continuing this.

I arrogantly dismissed your opinion in the same way you arrogantly dismissed mine if that is the case.
At least i explained my thinking and it was based around my coaching experience as well. It is not like i called you a * wit and a moron.
It is a forum. I thought we where having a reasonable discussion.
At the end of the day we both agree he is ordinary and not in the future plans.

It's all premised on an assumption about doing the team things when there is no indication that the players who are available are not doing the team things when on the ground.

We don't need to be privy to what goes on at the club to see what is happening during games.

Can not agree with all of this Bruno. You can see a bloke not doing well and make comment on it after the game but that does not change why he was selected. I do not think anyone is saying he played well. My point is he was selected as a message to others about playing team footy. The fact that he did not produce exactly what they wanted does not change that fact. It is very easy to say it is wrong after the event. If he is dropped this week then there is no issue based on his performance.
IMO and experience coaching even at 18 level you do need to be privy to what the plan is to know exactly what is going on. I say this as even though it is not AFL, you do get parents or spectators asking why is he playing there or why are you doing this. You simply can not know everything unless you are in the box. That is a simple fact. You can see fail or poor form but you do not know all the details.

Can not agree with all of this Bruno. You can see a bloke not doing well and make comment on it after the game but that does not change why he was selected. I do not think anyone is saying he played well. My point is he was selected as a message to others about playing team footy. The fact that he did not produce exactly what they wanted does not change that fact. It is very easy to say it is wrong after the event. If he is dropped this week then there is no issue based on his performance.
IMO and experience coaching even at 18 level you do need to be privy to what the plan is to know exactly what is going on. I say this as even though it is not AFL, you do get parents or spectators asking why is he playing there or why are you doing this. You simply can not know everything unless you are in the box. That is a simple fact. You can see fail or poor form but you do not know all the details.

I'm not arguing with you as much as venting my frustration at having watched coaches overthink selection to the detriment of a balanced structure for years now. The coaches may have their reasons, I tend to think that they struggle to see the forest from the trees.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back