Delisted #38: Nick Kommer - Delisted - 26/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Mostly about his injury/recovery, but the video also includes a tiny bit about last weekend (i.e. forward game plan, pressure).

Kommer's new chapter
When Nick Kommer ran out with his Essendon teammates last Saturday, it brought to a close a 952-day absence from the game.

Kommer burst on to the scene in 2013 as an ‘in your face’ half forward, renowned for the pressure he provided in the attacking half.

He played 19 games that debut season. But had to wait more than two years to play his 20th – the memorable win over Melbourne.

“This has been one of the most frustrating injuries that we’ve had in the Club in so long,” Club Doctor Bruce Reid said.

“He got very bad patella tendonitis which is the tendon below the knee cap.

“But in addition he had damage under his knee cap. The surgeon repaired the patella tendon – which did very well and was ready to go in six months – but his kneecap got worse.

“We were trying to rehab him and he could only get to 80 per cent, so they went in and tried a second clean-up to his knee cap, which once again could only get to 70 or 80 per cent.”

Midway through last season the prospect that Nick Kommer had played his last game was real.

He made some fleeting mid-season VFL appearances, but the knee problems that had plagued the last two years of his career were showing no signs of abating.

“Eventually about August last year we did a lateral release, which is an operation that takes the pressure off from under the knee cap where he was getting pain,” Dr Reid said.

“He’s come through the other end with a knee that would be at least 95 per cent and certainly at a stage that does not affect performance.”

Throughout his recovery, Kommer worked closely with Essendon Rehabilitation Coach Nick Kane.

The pair spent countless hours indoors, while the rest of the team trained on the oval.

“Komsy has done a truckload of work and he’s really driven it and led it along the way,” Kane said.

“He certainly had some moments where Komsy doubted himself. We were up and down a lot; we had a lot of setbacks along the way.

“I always believed he would get back, he loves the Club and really wanted to get out there with the boys.”

Kommer concedes there were times he wondered if he’d get back, but with the encouragement of teammates and staff, he never gave up.

“There were doubts… just in terms of my body, but there was great support at Club and they looked after me,” Kommer said.

Now some of Kommer’s closest friends are embarking on an enforced absence of their own.

Their time apart hasn’t lessened their bond.

“They’re my best mates… but at the same time they’re having a tough time and they’re still giving me the time of day, to send a message – they’re legends.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-04-05/kommers-new-chapter

Should be dropped for 2 things.

His bullshit selfish attempt to mark a certain goal
His stupid free kick he gave away late in the game when the match was still on the line.

Eddie will do something ridiculous to steal it back off him.
Only thing that could top that is doing the exact same thing on the opposite leg. That's goal of the century so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No great fan but really shouldn't be dropped after 1 game in on the back of two years of injuries...tough crowd this one!

Last edited:
Don't think anyone on either side are making outlandish statements, just that a lot think his performance wasn't up to scratch (and it definitely wasn't) and a lot think he deserves another crack (probably right, still don't think it helps us long term.)

I fail to understand the outright hatred for Kommer. Many criticised team selection last week but yet the selectors got it right.
Such a bizarre post.
The selection of Kommer came close to losing the game for us. If an out of form Bird had played in his place, it would have meant about 5 less free kicks given away, about 3 more tackles laid, an extra goal (two when you think of Merrett's), and about 6 more possessions. That is seriously significant surely?

If Kommer had any credits in the bank such as good NAB cup performances, then i could see why he would be given another week. But in comparison to Bird he has performed much worse when given the same opportunities, and to me that means Bird gets the recall.

Such a bizarre post.
The selection of Kommer came close to losing the game for us. If an out of form Bird had played in his place, it would have meant about 5 less free kicks given away, about 3 more tackles laid, an extra goal (two when you think of Merrett's), and about 6 more possessions. That is seriously significant surely?

If Kommer had any credits in the bank such as good NAB cup performances, then i could see why he would be given another week. But in comparison to Bird he has performed much worse when given the same opportunities, and to me that means Bird gets the recall.

You're right about a Bird recall, but you're seriously putting too much weight on the effect Kommer had on the game. You must really hate him.

You're right about a Bird recall, but you're seriously putting too much weight on the effect Kommer had on the game. You must really hate him.
As someone who's proven to be unbiased on the subject I can state if Kommer had not played we'd have won by 158 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back