AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather him forward.

Or even, maybe, occasionally, given a run around the wings.

Was thinking that on the weekend (giving him a run on the wing).

Running through my head on Sunday:
- gee his kicking inside the F50 has been brilliant today
- gee we've missed his kicking running out of the D50 today
- gee his kicking to our forwards coming off a wing would be handy today

I remember in a preseason game last year when they were discussing Langford and had that stupid chart with like 5 categories and one was speed and they had him listed as "elite" which I found laughable

I think he's quicker than he looks. It just seems like he very rarely switches on the after-burners.

He sort of looks like he's in cruise control a lot of the time.

I personally still like him more as a 3rd/4th forward option than a midfielder - in the forward line, I'm happy enough if he only gets 8 stats a game, as he does not miss shots on goal.

Was thinking that on the weekend (giving him a run on the wing).

Running through my head on Sunday:
- gee his kicking inside the F50 has been brilliant today
- gee we've missed his kicking running out of the D50 today
- gee his kicking to our forwards coming off a wing would be handy today
Whats WADAs policy on cloning?

Courtesy of Blitz.

l46CijzVAHwgWLEnC.gif

GRABS THE JUMPER! GET AROUND HIM!

:$:D

Dunstall last night reckons that Walla has slimmed down as year has progressed and I agree he looks more leaner to when he first staterd this year.
Yep I've noticed theweight loss too.

Would love it if he can make it as a forward, and that's probably the spot where his physical attributes are best suited, but not convinced he'll be able to perform consistently there. Hasn't always had a good record while up forward, where he (in part due to the nature of the spot) has sometimes struggled to stay in the game long enough. Not doing so well when they put him there in the pre-season concerns me a little.

But on the other hand, he's a lot fitter now, he's got a lot more confidence in himself, and his teammates probably trust him with the ball more now, so hopefully it works out.

Would love it if he can make it as a forward, and that's probably the spot where his physical attributes are best suited, but not convinced he'll be able to perform consistently there. Hasn't always had a good record while up forward, where he (in part due to the nature of the spot) has sometimes struggled to stay in the game long enough. Not doing so well when they put him there in the pre-season concerns me a little.

But on the other hand, he's a lot fitter now, he's got a lot more confidence in himself, and his teammates probably trust him with the ball more now, so hopefully it works out.

I don't think you can really use his VFL form and the limited time in the pre-season as a reference point to him playing forward or the struggles he did have, because what he did on the weekend, and in all his other AFL games, is of much higher calibre than anything he has done in the VFL.

I don't think you can really use his VFL form and the limited time in the pre-season as a reference point to him playing forward or the struggles he did have, because what he did on the weekend, and in all his other AFL games, is of much higher calibre than anything he has done in the VFL.
That's true, and he's actually set himself a pretty high bar with that first game. 5 goal assists in addition to 4 scoring shots as well as the pressure he put on is a huge game.

Anyway, i think we're all hopeful it works out.

Walla did say on the clubs website after the game that playing forward felt natural to him so him staying forward shouldn't be a problem.

To be fair the bloke is so comfortable out there I'm sure he'd say the same of rucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Composed' is the word.

Like Pendlebury, he never looks like he's going fast, seems to have more time than most to make a decision - this is a lot more visible at VFL level so far.

My only concern is Langford needs to put the jets on when he is in clear space - Back your running ability.

I don't often agree with yaco55, but in this instance he makes a decent point. Against Carlton he had a few opportunities where he was charging towards the 50m line and decided to try and kick it to Daniher where instead, he could have run a little more and potentially slotted 2 goals.

Like scanlon stated above, this will come overtime with more experience/confidence.

I cannot for the life of me understand how Langford could be a 'huge worry' based on what we've seen so far (which has been very encouraging) and the fact that he's still, y'know, 19.

Baffling.
same here.

It's like some kind of bizzaro world thread

what were his sprint times then, if you find it laughable?
Not sure where to find individual results but

20 metre sprint results (sec)
Marvin Baynham 2.81
Oleg Markov 2.87
Jarrod Pickett 2.87
Reece McKenzie 2.87
Connor Menadue 2.88
Nakia Cockatoo 2.90
Ed Langdon 2.92
Paddy Brophy 2.93
Conor McKenna 2.93
Nathan Drummond 2.93

Agility results (sec)
Clem Smith 8.09
Daniel McKenzie 8.10
Conor McKenna 8.12
Jarrod Pickett 8.13
Teia Miles 8.27
Lukas Webb 8.28
Josh McGuinness 8.33
Billy Stretch 8.33
Kyle Langford 8.36
Jack Lonie 8.37

New to this Player Watch, but I'm a fan of Kyle and think he might be being underrated. I see huge potential in him. I see him as a BIG part of our future! The board where we discuss our future makeup seems to miss him. Hope I'm right.

It's interesting looking back on his draft profile:

Callum Twomey said:
19 days to the draft: Meet Kyle Langford
KYLE Langford played 13 games for the Northern Knights last year, kicked nine goals and showed some exciting signs. But it was only until a couple of breakout games at the start of this season that his performances started to get traction.

Langford, a 190cm half-forward, kicked five goals against the Calder Cannons in round two of the TAC Cup and then backed it up with another five-goal haul against the Eastern Ranges the following round.

"I thought 'Who is this bloke?'" one recruiter said. "I had to mark his name down. He was very, very exciting."

Despite good signs in attack to start the year, Langford played for Vic Metro at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships as a half-back, where he still showed his agility and strength, despite not being in his customary position.

Why they should pick him
As the clubs say, Langford has a lot of AFL traits and parts to his game that will translate to the next level. He can jump and take a mark – he averaged eight a game in the TAC Cup this year – and he can kick a goal.

But for a player his shape, Langford moves quickly on the ground. His 8.36-second agility test at the combine saw him inside the top-10 for all competitors, and you see it in games. He twists and turns in tight spaces and gets out of trouble.

Langford's standout quality is his ball-handling. In the air he has confidence to leap into, over or in front of packs and take a mark. But he's very sharp below his knees and often holds the ball in one hand while working out his next move – a sign of his composure.

The query
Langford's field kicking can be at times a little inconsistent, but there's nothing there that can't be tweaked. It improved through the year and by the combine he placed second in the kicking test, scoring 28 out of 30 points. He has a lot going for him.

Plays like
He comes from the Northern Knights and can jump, do it at ground level, kick goals and be used all over the ground. So there's going to be comparisons between Langford and young Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli.

Bontempelli will probably end up more of a midfielder than Langford, who has shown his best form across half-forward, but there are similarities at times with their raw talent.

Draft range
Could be this year's bolter. Has been discussed early but looks like he will find a home somewhere inside the first round. He doesn't turn 18 until December 1, so will be 17 on draft night – another reason for optimism when assessing his room for growth.

Bottom line
Langford is very high on some club's draft boards, and it doesn't take long to see why: he can do lots of things that few others can. He has a big motor, is very strong overhead and loves to lead at the ball off half-forward and kicks goals.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-08/meet-kyle-langford

I don't think he has composure tbh. Doesn't have enough urgency. Makes the wrong decisions white a few times and seems to love to run back into traffic. Not the best decision maker.

Back