Past #41: Corey Wagner - #43 '15 National Draft - 8 NM games - one Snapchat scandal - thanks Wags

Remove this Banner Ad

Club does rate Wags highly, will be interesting to see how many more games we give him this year. I'd have in way in front of Nahas so he's a couple of spots away from being omitted if you like.

The good thing is that even though he stuffed a few things up with ball in hand his kicking action looks really, classy which I think implies that it's a decision making thing not skills. With some young players (Clarke, Fordham for example) you can tell just from a bit of footage that their techniques need some work, which is the main reason neither of those have debuted yet. None of that with wags, looks a real steal @ 43!

9 tackles is excellent, but I dont think he looks dangerous when he gets it.
Call me a harsh marker on a 2nd gamer but his disposal so far has been okay without being great.
Even that great man Glen Archer struggled in his first few games as nerves took over. Hope he gets a run of runs, deserves it on his pressure alone.

remember reading somewhere that as a 16 year old was an early tip for top 5 in the draft, he then got in the gym and put on some weight and had injuries in his top age year and dropped away a little was rated as the best player in there academy even higher then keays! kid can play

Lad made a mistake or two here and there......but he did some nice things >>>> better for the experience. Potential 200 gamer I think. He doesn't shirk it, has skills but still adjusting to the tempo. Just needs games pumped into him.

Yesterday I was going to write that he was doing a lot of good work, good pressure, in good spots, but then was not quite up to the pace things happen at this level - then Basil said something similar and I accepted I was probably wrong.

I don't know that a) Corey is going to get better at the pace of the game by being back in the VFL or b) that we have a better fit option right now anyway.

While he didn't set the world on fire yesterday we had plenty worse than a three gamer, he's going to take a bit of time to get up to AFL speed but I'm happy to keep him in to develop.

It's not as though we've got anyone else knocking the door down pressing for selection in his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why this kid cops criticism- he's come in prematurely and played his role, doing some nice things. If you want to criticise, do it to the 200 gamers with the same level of output

I don't think anyone has been overly critical of Wags but let's be honest he wouldn't have played if it wasn't for injuries.

He has done okay playing in the hardest position on the ground but he is a pre-season and 5kg away from being a best 22 player when we are firing on all cylinders.

He has done well and you can see he has a number of attributes to play AFL level footy but at this stage he hasn't really adjusted to the pace of the game

Even that great man Glen Archer struggled in his first few games as nerves took over. Hope he gets a run of runs, deserves it on his pressure alone.
It has to be remembered that all his games have, necessarily, been during our injury plagued period. He'd be far better if Wells/Waite/Dal and Jacobs were on board with him. Stating the obvious, I suppose. It's a bit of a Catch 22 situation for him, though. If those guys come back in, he probably doesn't get a game.

It has to be remembered that all his games have, necessarily, been during our injury plagued period. He'd be far better if Wells/Waite/Dal and Jacobs were on board with him. Stating the obvious, I suppose. It's a bit of a Catch 22 situation for him, though. If those guys come back in, he probably doesn't get a game.

From what I've seen recently, he's more of a Nahas than a Dal Santo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back